Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Planning 10days -Italy and Switzerland-July-sufficient?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 03:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
We are planning to do Italy and Swiss from India after marriage.I would want to know if 10 days(i can try cajoling him for 12!) gud to see the must see places of the 2 cities?
We r getting greedy for paris and wondering if we can take a fite back from Paris after spending a day there...?...Need advise pls..Quite impressed with the advise i am gng to frequent this forum to plan my trip further....Look Fwd.Thnx.Nupur
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 06:37 AM

Well, first of all, Italy and Switzerland are countries, not cities. You could see one or two places in each country with ten days, but certainly not all of both countries! You need to choose what is most important to you. For example, you *could* fly into Rome, fly to Zurich or somewhere else in Switzerland, and then go to Paris and fly home from there. But with ten days, you would have at least four taken by traveling somewhere new. I would choose only Italy and pick 2 or 3 cities there - or go to one city in Italy and then go to Paris. That would make for a more relaxed honeymoon.

Congratulations!
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 07:01 AM

Expanding on what jent said yes fly into say Rome - a few days there - go up to Florence for a few days and then to Venice (honeymoon town par excellence IMO) then hop the train for Switzerland and go to the Interlaken area - the fabled Berner Oberland - the Jungfrau Region that is the picture of Switzerland etched in your minds' eyes - dramatic glacier-girdled high Alps - mountain-climbing trains, thrilling aerial gondolas and hiking trails - but you need not leave your hotel balcony to get intoxicated on the fab views.

Then hop the train to Paris, taking about 5 hours.

Trains are the best for this itinerary as you see the nice countryside and there are so so many of them. For great info on trains in these countries i always highlight these fantastic sites: www.ricksteves.com; www.seat61.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com - download the latter's free and superb IMO European Planning & Rail Guide that gives you lots of sample itineraries, rail maps, etc. You could investigate the Eurail Select Saverpass good in Italy, Switzerland and France - that is the only pass you would consider probably and i'm not sure if you are traveling enough to warrant it.
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 07:26 AM

You could fly into Venice (3 nights totally romantic), then by train to Como or Lugano (mountain/lakes area, 3 nights), then on to Luzern (small city on a lake) or Zurich (big city 3 nights) then fly out of Zurich.

You can't really see all of Italy + Switzerland in this amount of time, but you can see some of the most beautiful parts. Personally, I think Paris is too far away to combine with this trip.
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 10:47 PM
Original Poster

Hey Guys
thanx so much for teh awesome tips.Seem to have a clue now..i agree icant do all of the place....appreciate ur responses...M New here so had to figure out where to look for my post!!....i shall be back with more qs....Swiss , Venice,Rome seem definte nw..Tnx Jent..ANd ppl if u r in india fiorst week of July most welcome to drop by for an Indian wedding
Old Apr 29th, 2010, 02:42 AM
Original Poster

The mention of Swiss and Italy was a typo...pls ignore..
Old Apr 29th, 2010, 11:58 AM

OK - where is the wedding? What town?

Who is getting married?

You?
Old May 3rd, 2010, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

Heyya,
YEs me getting married...
Its allahabad,India ..though m based outta mumbai,India...
Ur profile dosent give ur location..
Leme knw if and hw i shud gv ya more details
Old May 3rd, 2010, 05:41 AM

"me getting married"? Bad enough all the abbreviations, but "ur" grammar needs some work.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 08:21 AM

nupur - my regrets at not being able to come to Allahbad - but have nice nuptials!

I have traveled extensively throughout India and have seen some weddings and they seem to be loud and colourful affairs!

Cheers.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 08:26 AM

kenav
Was that comment really necessary? Really nasty of you.
Old May 4th, 2010, 07:23 AM

kenav obviously has never tried to write something in a foreign language - agree with letsgo39 - nasty unneeded comment that tells reams about kenav him/herself.
Old May 4th, 2010, 11:45 AM

nupur - i traveled for several months in India on a couple of occasions so i would love to go back but it ain't in the cards.

Anyway Happy Marriage
Old May 5th, 2010, 10:29 PM
Original Poster

Hey
Thanx for the support guys...Palenque and letsgo39...since youve said what i wud want to..i shall ignore to comment on kenav..

Yes indian marriages are elaborate colorful affairs..dat explains my rushed up travel...
Now weve almost frozen on swiss rome n venice...though we knw we will have to do it again..shall b bak wid morw qs on dat soonlook fwd for support

Palenque and Letsgo39 do be my guest whenever in India