Plane Fares

Aug 12th, 2002, 06:50 PM
Time to Panic?

Plane Fares

How do you get the best deal on a plane ticket? I was looking at Expedia and I don't want to pay over 1600$ Canadian for a round trip ticket Edmonton to Amsterdam in November. Any advice is appreciated.

Aug 12th, 2002, 07:01 PM
trythis

Try checking out the seat sales to any US hub from Edmonton, then the seat sales from that hub to London (i.e. via Chicago, Seattle, Detroit, etc.).

Alternatively, try checking out Westjet or the seat sales to Vancouver, then a flight from Vancouver. Ditto for Toronto.

There are always better deals in bigger markets...

Aug 12th, 2002, 07:02 PM
oh, thry this too

Also place a call to Travel Cuts in Edmonton. They do sell well-priced tickets to non-students as well as to students.

Aug 12th, 2002, 07:07 PM
StCirq

I have no clue as to whether my consolidator can help you or not, but try them at 1-800-347-8787, extension 109 is my favorite agent, Louis Katz at 109. I usually get the best fares around with this company, although I've certainly never tried to book a fare from Canada to Amsterdam with them, so I have no idea what you can expect. Good luck!

Aug 12th, 2002, 10:22 PM
Marilyn

I usually check on line to get an idea of the going rates, but that's only the first step.

Get the Sunday travel section from the nearest large city newspaper and look for all those little ads for cheap tickets. Call about half a dozen of them. You will then have a pretty good idea of the cheapest ticket through a consolidator. I have found very little variation in the price from consolidators, but quite a bit of variation in the flight times available and routing/number of stops.

Of course, the best deal is the one that you just have to be lucky to find -- some special that's only available for 3 days or a promotion that happens to be where you want to go. If you can be opportunistic about when and where you go, you can probably get some great deals.

I have never used priceline.com (where you bid on tickets) or hotwire.com (where you have to buy the ticket knowing the price and date, but not the airline or the departure time) but I think you could probably get a cheaper ticket if you were willing to play by their rules.

GOOD LUCK!!