Search

Plaka hotels

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2000, 01:36 AM
Ron

Plaka hotels

Lets Go recommends Hotel Phaedra in Athens. Found out that rate is 11,000 GRD for double room with no bath, no WC. Has anyone stayed there? Can anyone recommend another hotel in Plaka area in the 11,000 to 15,000 GRD range which includes WC and perhaps shower???

Old Jul 25th, 2000, 10:12 PM
Bob

It has been over 8 years, but I stayed at the Eden. It was in the off-season and very reasonable. I think it was the equivalent of a two-star. It wasn't fancy, but clean, friendly staff, and a huge room plus bath/WC. I could have hosted a huge party in the room!

Old Jul 26th, 2000, 04:26 AM
Susan

We've booked the Attalos Hotel for a couple of nights in September. It's a little more than your price range (16,000 GRD for a double) and not in the Plaka, but it's apparently centrally located. I've read other postings on this forum about it and it always gets good reviews. Site is http://www.greekhotel.com/athens/attalos/home.htm - I reserved by e-mail. (My e-mail crashed and I lost everything - they were very prompt getting back to me with another confirmation note.) <BR>

Old Jul 26th, 2000, 04:57 AM
Ron

Thanks, Bob. Do you happen to have the address/phone # or e mail address for the Eden. Susan, I have the Attalos on my list of potentials in the upper price ranges, Thank you.

Old Jul 26th, 2000, 02:16 PM
Bob

Ron, Oops, I erred on the name of the hotel! I checked my travel journal (see, they do come in handy!) and it was the HOTEL AVA, but I didn't find an address, other than I had seen it listed in Frommer's and just lucked upon it. I no longer have the Greece travel book, but will see if I have it elsewhere.

Old Jul 26th, 2000, 05:17 PM
Martha

Ron- <BR>I stayed at the Attalos Hotel in June and found it to be clean, with a private bathroom at a reasonable price. It has a good location, within easy waking distance of the Acropolis, with a rooftop garden bar which has a great view of the Acropolis. It's in the Central Market area, in case you want to buy some fresh fish, or anything else (including hardware). <BR>Martha <BR>

Old Jul 27th, 2000, 11:43 AM
Howard Gradet

The Hotel Plaka is clean and very reasonable, with very nice private baths, an elevator and roof terrace with a drop-dead gorgeous view of the Acropolis. Very good breakfast, too. Desk was helpful with tours. Room was clean, somewhat spartan (well, it is Greece), with no view to speak of, but it had all of the above, plus location, location, and location.

Old Jul 27th, 2000, 11:56 AM
Ron

Thanks, Howard. Do you recall what the Hotel Plaka's rates were? Did it have a toilet & shower/bath? Any phone # ?

Old Jul 28th, 2000, 01:02 AM
April

We also stayed at the Plaka but I wouldn't rate it as highly as Howard. We found the roof top terrace quite grubby and some of the hotel staff on the vacant side, although some were good. What it does have going for it, as mentioned above, is location. From there we walked up the Acropolis, Anafiotika (don't miss them) to Monasteraki, Syntagma Square and (who knows why) Omonia Square. <BR> <BR>Our room did have a nice view of the Acropolis as well as a toilet and a bath or shower or both - can't remember. Sorry I don't have the room rates on hand but it was fairly cheap and I believe breakfasts were included. If we were up very early we could get coffee in the lobby. <BR> <BR>If you stay there, take your paperwork just in case. They tried telling us at first that we didn't have a reservation.

Old Jul 29th, 2000, 07:08 PM
Laura

I'm hoping the Hotel Plaka is good because I just booked it. A good basic hotel is Hotel Hermes. We stayed there last time - no complaints - shower and wc in large room, and nice staff. I'd stay there again.

Old Jul 31st, 2000, 02:41 AM
Ron

Thanks Laura and Howard. Do you have the phone number for the Plaka Hotel or an e mail address if they have one?

Old Jul 31st, 2000, 12:03 PM
Diane

It's been a long time since staying there, but I thought the Acropolis View was nice and was inexpensive.

Old Aug 1st, 2000, 08:29 AM
Laura

Ron, I booked through www.greecead.com also, Matt Bauer's Greek site is helpful. Laura

Old Aug 1st, 2000, 11:52 AM
bobbie

We stayed at Acropolis View in June and the rooms are clean with bathroom and a foor garden with a drop=dead view of the Acropolis. Very well situated for all the sights, very good breakfast and helpful staff