Ireland bound

Old Jul 20th, 2000, 05:54 AM
Joel

Ireland bound

I posted a message a while ago concerning where might be the best place to study in Ireland. At this point in time, finances have sort of fallen apart, but Ireland remains the dream. As such, I've now applied for a work-permit. My hope is to arive in Ireland in September, and stay until the Winter/Spring semester starts up, and hopefully go to the University of Limerick for a while. Regardless of that, however, I need to figure out how to go about working there. I realise that this isn't really a "travel" question as much as a "expatriating" question, but this seemed like a good spot to ask. Where would you suggest I try and go? I don't have any personal knowledge of Ireland, only what I've read. I'd love to try and stay on the west coast, based on what I've read of course. Will I be able to? Do you have any suggestions in general? I am not intent on trying to make much or anything, all I want to do is break even, if possible. The reason for going is to be in Ireland, not to find a good job. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Old Jul 20th, 2000, 07:25 AM
Lorna

Joel,

At present Ireland is really booming, any city, Waterford, Cork Dublin, Galway etc are crying out for workers in all areas, both industrial and service related. Most shops/bars have advertisements in thier windows and the daily papers are full of positions.

Good Luck Lorna

Old Jul 20th, 2000, 09:22 AM
Kathleen

If you have any luck getting a work permit, let me know. Last I heard it was difficult for a AMERICAN non-professional to get a permit, and it's very hard to work 'under the table' as the government keeps a close eye on businesses. Keep in mind that living expenses are high there....good luck!

Old Jul 24th, 2000, 01:14 PM
Ann

Joel-

Check out www.ciee.org. You can get a temporary visa if you're a student. Otherwise, it can be tough. Do what I did--marry an citizen!

Old Jul 24th, 2000, 03:00 PM
Cathy

This what I used to reply to previous postings enquiring about working in Ireland - hope it helps,
The procedure for getting a visa in Ireland is difficult and complex, but here is a
brief outline of what you need to do. First of all contact FAS - the government
agency responsible for recruiting people to come and work in Ireland. They have
a web site accessable via www.irlgov.ie.

2) Never ever lie on any form. I had a friend who had an idiotic of a girlfriend who
did and on her return to Ireland from a European holiday she was told by
immigration - out in 30 days please. She had been economical with the truth on
her first application some years previously and the Dept of Environment and the
Dept of Justice were not happy to be taken for fools and were tracking her. It
was only a minor point of truth but enough to annoy the officals.

3) The procedure is complex in that you must get a job offer first before you can
get a visa. The job must have been advertised and the employer must state in
support of your application that they could not fill the vacancy with not only an
Irish person but an EU citizen. A work permit may only be applied for by an
EMPLOYER on behalf of a prospective
employee. You do not apply yourself. This puts a lot of work onto the employer
or rather the potential employer - and they will only go to that trouble if you have
great qualifications ie your are a Nurse or have great IT qualifications. From
receipt of a work permit application, it takes approximately 4 weeks to process
an application for a work permit.Once the application has been fully considered
a decision will be taken either to issue or refuse in the case concerned. The
duration of a work permit can be between one month to one year. The period of
validity of a permit will normally begin on the date of commencement of
employment and in any case, not exceed one calendar year. Applications for
renewal of permits can be made on the expiry of the relevant period. If you
change jobs during the year your new employer must apply for a permitt as the
first one only applies to your first job.

You can not work while waiting for a work permit. It must be issued to an
employer before the prospective employee can take up an offer of employment.
Entering the service of an employer in the State without having a
valid work permit is an offence under Irish law.

So really the procedure for getting a work visa is complex and difficult and does
not encourage people coming for short periods of time. The Gov Dept
responsible for issuing the work permitts/visa in the first instance is the Dept of
Environment and then if there is any questions or problems further down the line
it is the Dept of Justice.

4) The American Embassey in Dublin (postal address Ballsbridge Dublin 4) is
the used to answering queries re working in Ireland. Also contact the Irish
Embassey in your own country as they are working with FAS and the Irish
Government on recruiting people to come and work in Ireland.

5)Avoid the recruitment agencies unless you have an IT wizard as they are not
interested in going thro'the process for summer/short term work. Best try is via
FAS.

6) Remember living in Dublin Galway etc is very expensive with high rents and a
high cost of living.
7) Try and get an american company to hire you to work for them in Ireland before you leave the States. Sloves all problems

Good luck

Cathy

Old Aug 1st, 2000, 09:11 AM
Joel

The time has come, the american said, to speak of many things, of Irish-decent and pots of gold, of a pint of guiness and craic.

There is a reason I'm an engineering major, and not english lit.

I just figured I'd post an update, and ask for any advice/comments et cetera.

So yes, I'm actually going to go. I have (or so they tell me) a work permit, and travel plans. I'll be flying into Dublin (via London) on September 6th/7th. I even get to fly on a 777. Yeah toast. I have the permit for four months, and my return flight is scheduled for January 3rd. If I can find a way, I may stretch it out longer. I may be able to go to the University of Limerick, but that will depend on a green much different from the landscape, unfortunately. Anyway, I guess a part of this post is to ask if there's anything else I ought to keep in mind, or do before I go, or stuff like that. I am, unfortunately, something of a neophyte to travel...

Thank you!

-Joel

Old Aug 1st, 2000, 09:37 AM
Thyra

Joel, as a student I lived in Dublin, only a couple of things to remember: Keep your sense of humor, be prepared to discuss current events a great deal, be ready to embark on a life-long love affair with the people, the places and the pubs you are going to experience! *Sigh* how I envy you, have a pint for me, have a wonderful trip* and "may the road rise with you!"

Old Aug 1st, 2000, 10:16 AM
Joel

I think I "may" be able to manage that. Thanks!

Old Aug 1st, 2000, 10:32 AM
Joel

Actually, that begs a slightly more involved question. By "current events", what do you mean? I mean, are we referring to the content of the evening news, or Ireland specifically? But more importantly, what's a good source for news on Ireland? Or for that matter, Europe? Even watching CNN, they give the rest of the world a 30-second headlines blurb, and then proceed to talk some more about the first lady... So yeah, what would you or anyone else suggest to learn a bit more about the other side of the pond?

Old Aug 1st, 2000, 10:47 AM
Diane

Joel -- I haven't been to Ireland yet, but I'm incredibly impressed with the website of the Irish Times:
http://www.ireland.com

There's a tremendous amount of content linked there -- it's much richer and more interesting than the sites of most U.S. newspapers. News, features on the arts, 360-degree photos of Dublin...much more. I particularly like all the articles in the special retrospective section on Ireland in the 20th century, esp. those under the heading "decade by decade" off this link:

http://www.ireland.com/special/times2000/

Old Aug 1st, 2000, 11:24 AM
Thyra

Joel, of course my opinion is all based entirely on personal experience and not meant to be representative of the Irish population as a whole. That said, I try to get to Ireland every year or two, we were just there last St. Patricks day, and I always seem to end up in a pub, half pint in hand discussing European or American Politics! The conversations always seem to steer clear of Irish politics for the most part though I do read the Irish Times daily. In my experience, I have found that a great many Irish people are really tuned in to what is going on in Europe and America and they love to sit down and talk about things! Example I was in a roadside petrol station outside of Galway where the local teenagers were all conversing in Gaelic and the man working at the petrol station wanted to find out all about the O.J Simpson trial (which was on at the time). Last year everyone we spoke to wanted to know "so what do you think or yer'man Clinton?" during the Monica Lewinsky thing. In my experience I have found the Irish very gregarious and extremely knowledgeable about events both in and outside of Ireland. I like to keep up on world events so that I have something to contribute and have relished many cozy, smokey nights chatting with friendly ex-strangers over pints!

Old Aug 1st, 2000, 01:05 PM
Lisa

A quick correction, Thrya... It's "may the road rise to meet you", not "with you."

Joel--Just keep in mind that Limerick will basically be damp all of the time! So you'd best plan to spend plenty of time in the pub.

Check out the BBC website (www.bbc.co.uk). It will give you news on Ireland. Also the Belfast Telegraph (www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk) and the Irish News (not sure of the URL--just search for it).

I try to avoid talking about the States when I go to Ireland--there are so many other things to talk about. The only amount of knowledge you'll need about world events is what you already have if you pay any attention at all to the news and read a newspaper every so often. My Irish friends and relatives love to wind up other Americans by making stuff up about world events--so basically take anything anyone tells you over there with a grain of salt!

One piece of advice--accept every offer you get from co-workers or new friends for a night out or to visit their homes or for a weekend trip. That's where the "real" Ireland is. I've had a lot of American friends who have visited Ireland several times before coming to see my husband and me say that they never really experienced Ireland until they had a chance to spend time with the locals.