Search

Place of residence

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 09:55 PM
cp4
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Place of residence

Hi all. I am travelling to Netherlands for a working holiday visa. Does anyone recommend what city in Holland to stay?
A work collegue has mentioned Rotterdam. Is this a good choice?
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 01:22 AM

I really wouldn't go for Rotterdam if you have a choice. It was mostly destroyed during WW2, and does not have much charm. Moreover they have quite a problem with crime at the moment. Why not Amsterdam? It's a fantastic city. Or otherwise Utrechts, which is smaller, but has a lovely old centre with canals. I also love Maastricht, in the south of the Netherlands.
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 10:57 PM
cp4
Original Poster

Thankyou for your advise Tulips.
I guess I didn't choose Amsterdam, because I am a little worried about the things that I hear, such as the freedom of drugs there. I might look into Utrecht.....thanks again.
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 12:12 AM

You won't have a problem at all in Amsterdam. If you don't want to use cannabis, you don't and if you do, you just buy it in the coffeeshop. Amsterdam is very easy-going and friendly.
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 01:38 AM

The Hague is a beautiful city, very stately and much more quiet than Amsterdam. I don't know what kind of work you are looking for--if it's in a service like restaurant or hotel, definitely look into Amsterdam, because there would be more opportunity.

Also, if you are young, Rotterdam is quite happening, but it si snot chraming in any way. It's actually very modern.

Utrecht is small and charming, and it is in a good area for commuting to other cities within Holland. Most cities in Holland are within 1 hours commuting distance of each other, as long as you are not way north or way south (like Maastricht).

Could you give some more info about your inetersts, work activity, etc? I'm sure I could offer you more info. I think alot depends on whther ir not you already know where you will be working (especially becasue iit is extremely difficult to get a job in Holland if you are not a citizen of an EU country).
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 11:45 PM
cp4
Original Poster

Hi allovereurope,
Jobs, yeh that is a difficult one. Yeh I'm sure it would be hard, and that is why I was just about going for anything. I know I can't get a job in my field, computer drafting, so I was either going for administration, or restaurant/hotel work.
Interests, ha, not a problem, I will have a blast with all the museums, and the different architecture in Holland.
This is my 1st experience away from the home country & a single traveller. So I'm hoping to enjoy as much as possible. So you're extra advise sounds fantastic. thankyou
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 12:21 AM

Even for restaurantand hotel work, it is very difficult to get a job...whichever compnay hires you needs to prove that it could not find a Dutch person to do the job that it will be hiring you for. And of course, you'd need a residence permit before you could even get a work permit. It's actually easier to see if you can get a job with a multi-national company back home and see if they will transfer you.

Also, the Dutch economy is in recession right now, further lessening your job hopes. Please, please explore the job thing first and foremost, as otherwise the rest of your agenda is moot.