Search

Amsterdam Tulips and Red Lights

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2004, 08:06 AM
Tat
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amsterdam Tulips and Red Lights

Reading up on Amsterdam travel here I suddently felt urge to stay 2 days instead of 1.
My plan was to visit Ann Frank house and Tulip Garden. Is there more then one ? Which one closest, easier to find ?
My Husband wants to see Red Lights ? Our daughter is 9. How do we do this ? Is Red lights in Hamburg similsr to Amsterdam's ?

What else to see if we decide to stay for another day ?

And we speak in Amsterdam ... ???
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 09:26 AM

By Red Lights, I take it you mean Red Light District, and no, it's not difficult at all to see. It's along the Oudezijds Voorburgwal (excuse my spelling) right in the center of the city, 2 or 3 blocks east of the Damrak (the main commercial drag that runs south from Centraal station).
The district is kind of harmlessly seedy, and almost has a Disneyland feel to it with all the tourists wandering through staring at the prostitutes in the windows.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 09:30 AM

ANd beyond that, Amsterdam is a great city of beautiful canals, great museums, lively squares and good restaurants. It's definitely worth more than a 2-day stay. It's one of the most cheerful, welcoming cities on earth with a laid-back liberal attitude that is to be admired and envied.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 09:30 AM
ira

Hi Tat,

Are you sure you want to bring your daughter along streets where prostitutes are displaying themselves in the windows?

For what to see and do in Amsterdam you can cosult the fodors mini guide at www.fodors.com.

>And we speak in Amsterdam ...??<
Dutch
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 09:37 AM
Tat
Original Poster

ira,
ofcourse I want to show to my daughter what jobs are available for the girls who failed school...
Listen, I've asked as we are staying in Hamburg with friends and I've heard there are Red Lights in there, so my Q was focused on whether it is worth to go there in Amsterdam or we can see it in Hamburg ?
Also if my daughter with us then my husband will go and I'll take her to see something else.
I can also leave her in Hamburg (I'll hate to do this though...)and go with my husband alone.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 09:49 AM

And actually, in Amsterdam you speak English, as almost everyone there speaks it and speaks it better than most Anglophones. It might be good to learn a few Dutch phrases, like "Dank U (than you)" to show respect, but I get the sense that most Amsterdammers would prefer that Anglophones speak english than butcher Dutch.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 09:51 AM

That should say "thank you" in the parentheses after "Dank U"
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 10:04 AM

the only people i have encounterd who did not speak english were older, and if i needed to speak to them i was always able to find a younger person who was willing to translate. Everyone was friendly, and seemed to love trying out their english skills, iplan on going back as soon ai i pay the bills off from this trip
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 10:05 AM

Tat:

You wrote: "ofcourse I want to show to my daughter what jobs are available for the girls who failed school..."

There was a news program on several years ago that covered the Red Light District in Amsterdam. One of the prostitutes they interviewed was an accountant from the U.S. that said this job paid better and gave her more quality time to be with her daughter.

While wandering the district once, I noticed that many of the "ladies" were using cell phones when they weren't negotiating their services. I bet the calls were to their brokers on what shares of stock to buy or sell.

That said, I wouldn't take my 9 year old daughter into the RL district. She would love all of the tulip fields and markets though.

I think you will find it intersting to contrast and compare Hamburg to Amsterdam.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 10:11 AM
Tat
Original Poster

I KNEW someone gonna tell the story about well educated prostitutes !!!
You gave me a lot, Bird except I still think I am better will lie to my daughter about "good grades lead to a good life"
You don't really believe that being a prostitute can benefit any aspect of your life, do you ?
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 10:16 AM

Tat -

As a male I have no frame of reference to give you an intelligent response. I certainly wouldn't want my daughter to take up the profession. Given the choice of being a hooker in Washington D.C. or Amsterdam, I would choose Amsterdam.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 10:20 AM
Tat
Original Poster

????????????????????????????????
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 02:35 PM

Just in case we get too carried away with happy hooker stories (warning: not necessarily to do with Amsterdam; also warning; it's not a pleasant story)

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/25/ma...EXTRAFFIC.html

I'm with you, Tat. It can't be said to be a choice without an education.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 05:00 PM

The red light district in Hamburg (Reeperbahn) is not similar to the one in Amsterdam. The one in Amsterdam is more extensive and is actually a tourist attraction (the Disneyland feel mentioned earlier vs the harder core of Reeperbahn).
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 05:59 PM

I've been to Disneyland, and RLD ain't no Disneyland...

It's interesting in a strange way, and creepy when it starts getting dark. Narrow, dark little alleys, crowds of men... couldn't get out fast enough once it started getting dark. No place for a 9-year old, in my opinion, and I'm not a parent.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 07:28 PM

The "tulip garden" you want to see is Keukenhof. The flowers are in bloom from about mid April to mid May. It is spectacular.

Leave your 9 year old in front of the TV in your hotel while you make a half hour tour of the red lights after the sun goes down.

The Rijksmuseum is one of the premier museums in the world. W
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 07:41 PM

The "tulip garden" you want to see is Keukenhof, near Leiden. The flowers are in bloom from about mid April to mid May. It is spectacular.

Leave your 9 year old in front of the TV in your hotel while you make a half hour tour of the red lights after the sun goes down. It ain't much to look at. Better to walk around west and south of the Dam and relax in a cafe or two.

The Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam is one of the premier museums in the world. Take your daughter to Madurodam in The Hague. You'll love it also.

Buy a Michelin Green Guide to Holland and you'll want to stay for 2 weeks, not 2 days.
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 04:56 AM
Tat
Original Poster

Thanks so much to all,
what is Madurodam in The Hague ?
I would go ...

I am off to check Sue's "happy hooker" link )))))))))
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 05:59 AM

Tat, Madurodam is a miniature town in The Hague; actually very nice. Your daughter will enjoy it. There were some comments on this site a while ago, all very positive.
I wouldn't go to the red light district myself, let alone take a child.
My children found Anne Frank House very moving (they're age 9-11). They also liked Madame Tussaud, and the Canal boat ride. It's a great city to wander around in. Have some pancakes or poffertjes (mini pancakes).
There's also a zoo in Amsterdam, called Artis.
When are you going?
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 07:00 AM
Tat
Original Poster

Easter, April, 6 I'll be there...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -