Reload this Page >

Pisa train station distance to Tower

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 12:30 PM
Bob

Is the train station at Pisa relatively close to the Leaning Tower?

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 12:37 PM
Wayne

This is a rough guess, but I think it's pretty accurate. The distance from the Duomo and Tower to the train station is no more than about a mile. Of course, that isn't really close, but if you enjoy walking, it's not a bad walk.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 12:37 PM
doug

over 30 minutes, I'd guess about two miles. We took a taxi there and walked back. There are shops & cafes& stuff along part of the walk so it's not bad.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 12:40 PM
doug

We're a big help huh Wayne

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 12:46 PM
Grasshopper

Bob, it's a good walk and I recommend it. You see Pisa, which is a whole lot more than a leaning tower. If you don't want to walk back you can take the bus from just outside the compound.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 01:07 PM
snorkelman

In Pisa the luggage storage is on platform # 1. If you are facing the station from the tracks it is on your right. They have large lockers and baggage storage. Also there is a new McDonalds in the Pisa train station (good for you to be aware of in case you run out of time) but you should try to grab local food (pizza a few blocks from the leaning tower)..<BR> You can walk from the train station about 30 minutes and see the leaning tower (or else take bus # 1 which you can board just opposite the train station (across the street) – remember to buy your bus tickets (before boarding) from the station newspaper kiosk or bar for about 69 cents or .77 Euro). If you walk to the leaning tower, there are signs that have a picture of the tower and an arrow. Just follow the signs and you will end up at the tower (remember how to walk back to the station!). To walk there, you will exit the station and kind of go to the left and straight

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 03:16 PM
Bob

Thank you all for the info.It is appreciated.<BR>Bob

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 04:41 PM
Dee

Bob,<BR><BR>We were in Pisa on June 22. You should know that the luggage storage lockers in the train station were closed then. I knew that ahead of time through this website, but we checked anyway. A Fodorite had suggested checking bags in at the hotel across the street from the train station. We tried that and there was no luck there.<BR><BR>We were stopping in Pisa along the way, so we were stuck with our bags. We went ahead and took them with us. The Tourist Info office told us we could walk or take the bus to the Tower. I believe they said it was a 45 minute walk. We opted for the bus ride because of the luggage. We only wanted to see the Tower and leave. So with our bags on our backs, seven of us rode the bus and then returned to the train station. All this took less than 90 minutes, one bus ticket only ($ .70)!

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 05:40 PM
Dayle

We were able to check our luggage (2 yrs ago) & walked both ways. Took about 30 minutes one way. We spent about 3 hours in Pisa total. Could have spent a little more to see the Baptistry too.<BR><BR>As mentioned above, you just follow one of the main streets, go straight, cross the river, & avoid the tacky junk shops around the square.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 05:58 PM
Walter

On my map (straight shot) it's 1600m from the station to the Tower.<BR>Dee: The fodorite's info was probably correct pre-9/11. I was told last March (conversation with hotel clerk) that the law now is: Only registered guests can leave bags at their hotel and even then *only* on the check-in and/or check-out day, no overnights. Regards, Walter

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 06:35 PM
Bob

Hi, Bob!<BR><BR>My wife and I went from Florence to Lucca and then to Pisa in a day. It was a great trip. On the way from Lucca to Pisa, we got off at one station before the main train station in Pisa. (At the recommendation of a Fodorite) If you decide to do this, this station is quite a bit closer to the Leaning Tower, etc. Just an idea for you to consider.<BR><BR>I don't recall the name of the station but the recommendation on this forum was a very good one. It saved us some time in Pisa.<BR><BR>Have fun in your planning.<BR><BR>Bob<BR><BR>

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 10:42 PM
Daniel

Stazione San Rossore is the name of the station, a few blocks from the cathedral and the tower. Only local and regional trains stop there.

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 05:51 AM
pamb

If you are on a tight schedule, you need to remember that the Tower of Pisa operates on a timed ticket plan now. They only let 30 people up at a time for about 30 minutes. When we were there in June, we arrived around 5 p.m., and had to get the next-to-last entry, which was at 7 p.m. I think you can book ticket ahead on time on the tower's website now (I had tried before we left but it wasn't available to book ahead of time yet).<BR>Pam B.<BR>