Pisa - walking directions to the tower

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2007, 09:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning to take the morning train from Florence to Pisa, do the tower bit & take the train to Rome mid afternoon. Help - which train station do we go to - Pisa Centrale or Pisa S Rossore, directions & approximate walking time from the station to the tower, does the station have a luggage locker? Also, how do I make a booking in advance for the tower - how does it all work. Thank you.
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 01:22 AM

TTT
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 03:13 AM

The train station next to the airport, which I am pretty sure is Pisa Centrale, has an attended place to leave your luggage for a nominal charge.

We arrived from the south so I would assume this is the same line that goes to Rome. Whether that's the same station you will arrive at from Florence, I'm not sure.
It's not a long walk to the tower, I'm guessing 15 minutes. As I recall, you just leave the station and walk straight and you can see it. Not sure about how to prebook tower.
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 04:15 AM

Here is the info you need about tickets and access from the train stations

http://www.opapisa.it/index.php?id=215&L=1&T=2

Old Apr 8th, 2007, 04:18 AM

actually that link may not work, this one should be better

http://www.opapisa.it/index.php?id=222&L=1&T=2
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 04:39 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I walked from S. Rossore to the tower. You walk across the train tracks (afte the train leaves) and a little bit left through an opening in the fence. You will then be on a street and you walk about a block, cross a busy street (via Bonanno Pisano). You will start to see the grounds and buildings. Just takes a a few minutes.

The station at the airport is not Centrale, it's S. Aeroporto, about 5 minutes from Centrale. S. Rossore is about 5 minutes past Centrale, but I don't believe all trains stop there. From S. Centrale it's a longer walk, but there is a bus you can catch that will take you to the tower.

There is no luggage storage at S. Rossore as it's a tiny station. I'm not sure if Centrale has storage.

Ticket and booking information is on their website - www.opapisa.it. Click on plan your visit.
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the information & thanks kybourbon for your directions. Very helpful & have printed it out. One other question - on their website, opapisa.it, they ask for your passport number I guess in order to do the advance booking. That's as far as I got & didn't go further. I guess I have to get used to the idea of parting with such information but just wanted to make sure with you guys if I was on the right track & doing the right thing. I'll be making a booking for the 2 of us - do I need to give them both passport numbers or just one person's? Thanks again for your help.
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Sorry everyone, I need to move my mouse around a little more & read a little more! I figured out the booking procedure. Thanks again.