Pisa - Lights at Tower

Jul 26th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Pisa - Lights at Tower

I read something that said the lights at the tower were poor and the area is locked at night. Then I saw a picture of the tower beautifully lit. Does anyone know abou the lighting at night? Is it worth planning to be there to see the lights?
Jul 26th, 2009, 10:50 AM

On a clear sunny day with a blue sky, Pisa is incomparably beautiful, as are all the white marble monuments, since they sit in a field of grass, itself unusual in Italy. If you only have some hours to give to Pisa, I would make it during the day, when you can tour the interiors of the monuments as well. If you are in Pisa in the evening, the torre is visible from many vantage points even if you can't get onto the grounds.
Jul 26th, 2009, 11:22 AM

The Field of Miracles definitely wasn't locked at dusk when I photographed it two years ago:

http://www.portlandbridges.com/00,5D...0,0-italy.html

Maybe they lock it late at night after a certain hour?

To be honest, it wasn't quite what I was hoping for. The Field of Miracles is a mob of tourists and cheesy tourist-catering businesses that almost ruined the experience for me.
Jul 26th, 2009, 11:28 AM

hi iccuf,

nor was it locked at night when we went three years ago - there is a road that goes up to it so I don't see how it could be.

it is perhaps the best time to go there- the hawkers have [mostly] gone, and there are far fewer people. it is loively all lit up and well worth walking up to to hav a look.

in the day, ok there are lots of people around and many of them make a nuisabce of themselves, but the architecture is still incomparable and able to transcend the surroundings.

if you re thinking of going, have a look at www.opapisa.it to book your slot for going up the tower.
Jul 26th, 2009, 11:49 AM

Everybody needs to know before going that Pisa is as bad a tourist zoo as can be imagined. The cheesy tourist carts are relegated to the periphery of the piazza, but it is some kind of miracle in itself that so many tourists think it is a knee-slapping hoot to try to take a picture "holding up" the tower.

http://images.google.com/images?clie...N&hl=en&tab=wi

If you love great architecture but if you've spent your life running away from people who put lampshades on their heads at parties, or who wear aprons that say "Kiss me! I'm _____", you're going to have to take a deep breath before going to Pisa.

Someday I hope they can straighten the tower and all these clowns will disappear.
Jul 26th, 2009, 12:20 PM

Oh, I too had my picture taken "holding up" the tower. To be honest, what ruined the area for me wasn't necessarily the tourists but all the obnoxious sales carts catering to them. If the area had been completely clear of sales people, it would have been much more pleasant.

I still enjoyed my visit (I hung out from the afternoon to photograph the area at dusk - it got better the darker it got). I think I didn't give Pisa itself a fair shake, though - the area around the central train station was seedy and dirty so I got a bad taste about the whole place, but I now think I need to go back and visit the other parts of town.
Jul 26th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info. I'm thinking about going in the afternoon, maybe stay for dinner, then catch the train back to Florence.