A few hours in Pisa

May 20th, 2010, 03:56 AM
Original Poster

A few hours in Pisa

A last minute change of plans has meant that I'm going to have a late afternoon, evening, and a full morning in Pisa next week.

Most of the posts I've seen are questions about where to go FROM Pisa. There must be more to it than just the Tower. Any suggestions anyone?
May 20th, 2010, 05:04 AM

The infamous Tower is actually the bell tower of one of the most beautiful cathedrals in Italy. A visit the cathedral, its baptistery, and the tower could fill half the day. Adjoining the Piazza dei Miracoli, the campo of the cathedral complex, is the Camposanto Monumentale--a monumental cemetery featuring wonderful frescoes that were much damaged in WWII and a associated museum of the sinopie--the underdrawings of the frescoes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piazza_dei_Miracoli

http://www.opapisa.it/en/home-page.html
May 20th, 2010, 07:30 AM
PJK

We flew from Pisa to London last week, arriving in Pisa about noon the day before our flight and flying out the next afternoon. I am sorry to say that I agree with the folks who say that seeing the tower, church, and baptistry is about all there is to do. I did not find much else in the town. Do you have the option of spending part of your extra time in Lucca or in the surrounding countryside? The drive from Lucca to Pisa is short and scenic. Lucca is a much more pleasant town to me. PJK
May 20th, 2010, 10:02 AM

Pisa is one of Italy's most abused and misunderstood tourist destinations -- and that is saying a lot. The famous Campo dei Miracoli is not in the historic center of town, but just outside it, unlike other Italian cities -- and people who visit the tower think they've seen Pisa, and they haven't.

I don't know where PJK went in Pisa, but it is full of historic churches and museums, a lovely porticoed street of cafes and a lively outdoor market. Additionally, most people I know who take the time to visit the museum of the duomo, Museo delle Sinopie and the Camposanto right within the Campo dei Miracoli are fascinated. But most visitors don't even know to go there.

Here are other places you might want to visit in historic Pisa:

http://www.behindthetower.com/en/pis...tinerariespisa

http://www.travelingtales.com/vanallen/italy/index.html
May 20th, 2010, 10:07 AM

If it wasn't apparent by my previous post, I agree with zeppole on this. On my first visit to Pisa, we found the Museo delle Sinopie and cemetery fascinating. We spent a very full day just visiting the various sights in the Piazza dei Miracoli. I've been plotting a night or two in Pisa on my next trip to the area to revisit those places and explore more of Pisa.
May 20th, 2010, 10:29 AM

When I visited for 2 days I had a look at the leaning tower and the church. The rest of the time I strolled the city incl. old town. And I loved it! Would go back in a heartbeat just for the flair, cafés and streets to stroll. I could spend there easily a week without being bored!

Have a great time!

SV
May 22nd, 2010, 10:39 PM
Original Poster

I'm not going to be at a loss for things to see! Thank you all and especially zeppole and ellenem for the links.