Reload this Page >

pisa and lucca in a day

Search

pisa and lucca in a day

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 10:17 AM
gina

pisa and lucca in a day

We will be in Florence for 4 days and are planning to do a daytrip to Pisa and Lucca. Is this possible in one day only. Should be take the bus or train? Do we start with Pisa first then go to Lucca? We would like to see the Leaning tower although we really don't need to climb it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 10:37 AM
Lesli

Gina -<BR><BR>I'm not a big fan of Pisa, but Lucca is a great favorite of mine. So I'd skip the former and spend the day in the latter, though that's just me.<BR><BR>For Lucca, the bus is more convenient than the train, because it gets you inside the walls (and right next to the tourist information office, where you can pick up a map.)

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 11:26 AM
gina

Any other suggestions?

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 11:29 AM
Marilyn

I'm with Lesli. Pisa does have that wonderful Field of Miracles, but that appeared to be it and it was surrounded with cheap souvenir stands. So if you want to do both you should be able to spend a couple of hours at Pisa and then do Lucca. Lucca is more picturesque and has the most complete city wall in Italy. M.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 12:45 PM
Myriam

We made a short stop in Pisa on our way to Lucca (coming from Monteriggioni by car). And we were not disappointed at all. The view of the Piazza dei Miracoli with the Tower, the Duomo, the Baptistery, the Camposanto was very impressive. We had no intention of visiting so we just walked around for an hour.<BR>I also didn't like the cheap souvenir stands but I just see it as a consequence of a (very) touristic place.<BR><BR>We really enjoyed Lucca with its beautiful houses and palazzi. <BR>Have cappuccino and pastry (or gelato) at Antico Caff&egrave; di Simo. It opened in 1846 and nothing has changed ever since. It used to be Puccini's favourite cafe.<BR>Climb the 250 stairs of the Torre del Guinigi for a beautiful view over the roofs of Lucca. <BR>And most of all, enjoy Piazza del Mercato with its cheerfully coloured houses (some nice wine & olive shops as well).

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 12:58 PM
gina

Thanks Leslie, Marilyn amd Myriam. If we<BR>decide to do both is it better to go to Pisa in AM then proceed to Lucca in the afternoon. We are not renting a car so we would be using the busses or train. what would you suggest travelling Florence to Pisa then to Lucca then back to Florence

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 01:22 PM
Bob

I would do Pisa in the AM and get it out of the way. Be sure to also visit the church on the same grounds and try to go up into the leaning tower as it is now open again after being closed for repairs for so long. Finish this and then go to Lucca to amble around as the bus schedule will allow.<BR><BR>Pisa and the leaning tower is one of those sites that people all beat up on...but they have all been there. Your trip to Italy will not be complete unless you vist the leaning tower as everyone....and I mean everyone...will ask you if you saw it when you return home. By visiting on this trip you can then join the rest of the Fodors posters that complain about it and seem to be "in the know". Me? I like it for a quick visit.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 02:16 PM
Marilyn

Try the www.fs-on-line.com for the train schedules to check what would be best. The bus also has a site but I don't remember the address. Maybe another Fodorite will have it. M.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 03:33 PM
Jen

Gina, we are doing the exact trip in December but we are also unsure in which order to do Pisa and Lucca and whether we should take the bus or the train. Would you post when you return and let me know how it worked out for you? Thanks.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 05:00 PM
Sandy

We just returned from a Mediterranean Cruise and did Lucca and Pisa for the day. We've been to Pisa before but wanted to see it again. Lucca was special, a highlight of our trip. We had plenty of time to see both and if we had to do it again, we'd still make a stop in both Lucca and Pisa.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 05:16 PM
gina

Jen, our trip won't be until January. I'm sure we can get more information from somebody before our trip.