Search

Pisa or Lucca?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 08:57 AM
wendy

Pisa or Lucca?

I am flying into Pisa airport in May and will arrive around 10 pm. The next 2 days will be spent relaxing in the area plus visiting Cinque Terre. Where should I book a hotel? Pisa or Lucca?

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 10:16 AM
Lucca-like

<BR><BR>Lucca, Lucca, Lucca - repeat after me:<BR>"I will not stay in Pisa, I will stay<BR>in Lucca".<BR><BR>I will be *happy* in Lucca.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 10:28 AM
Brian Kilgore

Would you be planning on going from the Pisa airport to the hotel in Lucca the same night you arrive?<BR><BR>Seems to me that's a bit of a gamble, considering the possibility of late arrivals, difficulties finding rental cars, train schedules, etc.<BR><BR>That said, Lucca is beautiful, and it is easy to get to CT from there, plus easy to get back to Pisa and to Florence to look around.<BR><BR>For general relaxing, Lucca is hard to beat.<BR><BR>BAK<BR><BR>

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 10:30 AM
Lucca Lover

I too, am a Lucca fan. I'd take Lucca over Pisa. However for your first night's arrival I'd consider crashing in Pisa. You're arriving late, at 10 pm; if you're doing a transatlantic flight and will be jet-lagged, then it's easier to hop a cab and check in at nearby hotel. Pisa Airport is small & close to the city.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 10:30 AM
Wayne

If you are determined to choose only between these two cities, then certainly Lucca is (in my opinion) the preferable alternative. If you want something really different and unique in the form of one of the most enchanting small villages in that area, stay in Vicopisano, which is roughly between Pisa and Florence. There are only a few hotels in Vicopisano because it is very small, but you would find it charming unless you prefer the bigger towns.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 10:39 AM
GAC

Lucca is the better city, even though the Campo dei Miracoli in Pisa is one one of the seven wonders of the world!

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 12:09 PM
xxx

I´ve got a diferent view. Unless one´s visiting in the 2nd half of July or August, at night, Pisa "wins" on a landslide! Pisa has 3 higher education institutions (Universit&agrave; degli studi di Pisa, Scuola Superiore Sant'Anna and Scuola Normale Superiore) with a total of over 50,000 students (almost half of Pisa's pupulation!) Lucca, on the other hand, has none. This makes a huge difference. Pisa at night is one of the liveliest cities in Italy. In the maze of narrow streets of the old town there´s a bar or trattoria in every corner, serving till well past midnight. There isn't a single night without a cultural event going on (dance, theatre, music, etc). And most are free of charge. If one strolls around, at night, all one has to look for is an open door with large student gatherings ... what's on will come as a surprise. This, plus the fact that you're arriving at night, and with the airport located very close from the city center, should make it your choice.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 01:55 PM
Lucca-likeyII

I don't quite get the point xxx is trying to make beyond that if you go to Pisa you will have 50,000 students to contend with...and this is a good thing???? I wasn't that thrilled to hang out with students even when I was one! There is no wanting for nightlife or cultural activities in Lucca and it's much more charming to behold than Pisa (beyond the Campo dei miracoli).

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 02:10 PM
wendy

Thank you for your posts. Looks like Lucca wins as far as charm but since no one suggested that it is an easy cab ride from the airport, Pisa becomes the better choice for travel-weary tourists who have arranged for a rental car on the day they leave for Tuscany.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 02:23 PM
Joe

Arriving at 10:00 PM probably pretty well dictates a night in Pisa and that isn't bad. The Town of Pisa across the Arno is delightful; a real slice of Italian life kind of place. Good restaurants, cafes, shops, etc., populated almost exclusively by Pisans. And, of course, there is that tower (if you haven't seen it, it would be a shame not to). If it were me, I would spend the first night in Pisa, see it the next day and move on to Lucca for the second night (about a 30-40 minute trip). This, particularly, if it is your first trip to Italy. Lucca is equally delightful and you can see a lot of it in one day. Eat at da Leo in Lucca. Unpretentious, but fabulous for the money. Any native can direct you to this small restaurant. Lucca to La Spezia is easy for the train to Cinque Terra. This all assumes that you have "2 days in the area" plus time for Cinque Terra. Great area.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 03:39 PM
N

Any recommendations on where to stay in Lucca? Thanks!

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 05:42 PM
Mike

Between the two, Lucca is smaller and has more charm. The walled old town is magical, especially on a Sunday when it becomes an antique marketplace. Bicycling around the old town and on top of the wall is not-to-be-missed. But, if you're spending two days and nights in the area, try Portovenere, a small seaside town that is favored by Italian tourists, not many Americans (unlike Cinque Terre which has become popular with Americans). It is convenient to Cinque Terre, just drive to the first town, park and take the train (or hike) to the other Cinque Terre towns. Enjoy!

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 06:22 PM
Sue

Stayed in Hotel Puccini in Lucca; it was an adequate 2 star. Super location within the walled town. No A/C, and that was ok in late May last year, but much later than that think heat could be a problem. It did have a ceiling fan.