Reload this Page >

Pickpockets in Naples

Search

Pickpockets in Naples

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 09:36 PM
Aileen

Pickpockets in Naples

My husband and I are going to Positano through the Naples train station next month. I have read and heard that there are a lot of pickpockets in the Naples train station and the surroundings are scary. I just wanted some tips on how to avoid these pickpockets when we get down from the train and transfer to a taxi to go to Positano.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 10:27 PM
Kay

Aileen,<BR>we had heard the same thing and were a bit nervous tranferring in Naples from the Rome/Naples train to the train to Sorrento. We didn't see anything to be worried about at all. We were approached on our return journey (because we looked a little lost I think) by a couple of men offering us taxi rides but when we said no thanks, they just walked away. The official taxi rank is outside, don't go with the touts.<BR><BR>I think just keep anything really valuable like passports and money in a money belt, under your clothes and keep hold of your luggage at all times. You'll be fine.<BR>Kay

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 11:56 PM
aileen

Kay,<BR><BR>Thank you for your reassuring words. We are actually trying to arrange for a taxi pick-up from our hotel. By the way, what are the places we should visit along the Amalfi Coast since we will be staying in Positano?<BR><BR>Aileen

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 04:28 AM
donna

Aileen,<BR>We made a brief tour to Pisa on our last trip to Italy, had a bad experience with a group of young girl gypsies, so be very careful.They carried a fake baby and will throw it at you hoping you will try to catch it and then in your pockets they go. Also they carry a piece of cardboard and will hit you with it and use it as a shield to hide their hands. If approached, don't pause or akknowledge them, no eye contact and if they try anything scream POLICA, POLICA (police)and they will run off. Don't let it ruin your trip just be very aware. That's the omly encounter we've had, so one out of 4 trips isn't bad. You'll love Italy, have a great time. Kay's right only use the offical taxi line.<BR>

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 07:59 AM
Ira

Donna wrote<BR>&gt;We ...had a bad experience with a group of young girl gypsies, ..If approached, don't pause or akknowledge them, no eye contact and if they try anything scream POLICA, POLICA &lt;<BR><BR> I have found that a small, pocket-size air horn (available at boat supply stores) is very useful. It makes enough noise to be heard for a mile and scares everyone around you.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 08:02 AM
x

I was advised, by locals, to remove ALL jewelry - even thin gold chains - before walking around Naples. Sure enough, I witnessed a woman getting her chain ripped off her neck in broad daylight.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 12:13 PM
Don

Aileen<BR>I had my wallet stolen from my buttoned shirt pocket while boarding/riding the train to Sorrento from Naples last year. <BR>I had my passport, airline tickets,credit cards, and a large ammount of currency in my money belt so the pickpocket only got the money I had planned to spend that day.<BR>Recommendations:<BR>1.Carry your important papers in a money belt.<BR>2.Stay alert. I had just read the posted sign warning about pickpockets but was in a hurry to catch the train which was jammed with people.<BR>3.I normally carry a wallet, with a small amountof money, which I place in a pouch with a string around my neck. After withdrawing what I need I slip the pouch back under my shirt next to my skin. A moment of carelessness cost me $80. You can purchase such a pouch at any travel store.<BR>4.Be discreet when handling cash in public. You are playing the pickpockets game and you can't win.The thief who made off with my wallet was standing behind me when I purchased my train ticket so all he had to do was look over my shoulder and watch where I put my wallet after seeing the contents.<BR><BR>Enjoy your trip. I thoroughly enjoyed Naples and Sorrento.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 02:36 PM
donna

TTT for everyone cause you need to read this

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 05:14 PM
Marty

Aileen: Be careful at the train station. We were approached by two men who said they worked for the trains who wanted us to get on a train that was not ours and wait one hour. We had been warned about this by a couple in Venice, so we knew better. We later saw the same two guys down around the subway entrance. When we arrived by subway at Mergellina, a man met us at the door and wanted to show us where to go. We passed him by, but later saw him, too, trying to get other people to go with him. Carry your own luggage and beware of people offereing to help. All in all, our experience at the Naples train station was very unpleasant, but we knew to be wary, and that helped. I will not let it stop me from returning to Positano; it was worth the hassle.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 06:40 PM
ROW

Is this just Naples? I will be traveling solo from Venice airport to Venice proper. Need I take extra precautions? Thanks for the input.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 06:50 PM
Kay

Aileen,<BR>You could easily spend a day in Amalfi and Ravello. Amalfi has a lovely village atmosphere and a beautiful church, on the right of the square (inland from the waterfront). Ravello is straight uphill, about 20 mins by bus. We found it peaceful and beautiful. There is a villa we visited, I think Villa Cimbrone, it's about 10-15 min walk from the village square and has a lovely view of the coast from the belvedere. <BR><BR>Sorrento is also worth visiting, particularly strolling around the old part of town. Just about everything closes up for siesta which makes it very quiet after about 12. Have a walk just before dinner, or first thing in the morning.<BR><BR>Capri is great, the ferries run out there frequently. When you arrive, you can catch the funicular up to the main town or browse around the waterfront.<BR><BR>Lots to see and do! Pompeii is very interesting but you need either a guide or a good book so you know what you are looking at. You can reach it via train from Sorrento.<BR><BR>Kay

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 10:29 PM
Aileen

Thank you for all your inputs. They have certainly been very helpful and I'm sure they will all come handy and put to good use once we are in Naples.<BR><BR>Aileen

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 10:18 AM
pamt

Great advise in above post's always beware of your personal property and people surrounding you. However DON"T let it ruin your trip. Italy and Italians are both lovely!