Picking between Arrondissements

Oct 24th, 2007, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Picking between Arrondissements

Three girlfriends and I are planning to go to Paris in January after a business trip. We are looking at apartments and are stuck between two Arrondissements: 1 and 6. I am curious if anyone can discuss the flavor of these areas to make our decision a bit easier. The Arrondissement 6 is on Saint Germaine--Cafes Flore and Deux Magots. The other is a five minute walk from the Louve: Rue Croix des Petits Champs
Oct 24th, 2007, 08:29 AM

I've stayed in both, and my pick would be be the 6th. It has a great energy, and night life. Even though I was alone and not 'partying', it was fun to wander the streets in the evenings and see all the people and store fronts. And I always felt safe. I think the 1st is much quieter, and doesn't have as much to see.
Oct 24th, 2007, 08:52 AM

As a Parisian, I would choose the 1st.
Oct 24th, 2007, 10:30 AM

I would never characterize the 1st as quiet. To me it's the heart of the business district, so it's really quite busy.

I can appreciate why a Parisian would prefer the 1st, but for a tourist I'd pick the 6th.
Oct 24th, 2007, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Keroauc--Sorry, i accidentally posted my reply as a new post. Not sure how to delet, but I was curious why as a Parisian you'd pick that area. Less bohemian--more high class? Let us know. Thanks for your reply.
Oct 24th, 2007, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Keroauc--Sorry, i accidentally posted my reply as a new post. Not sure how to delete, but I was curious why as a Parisian you'd pick that area. Less bohemian--more high class? Let us know. Thanks for your reply.
Oct 24th, 2007, 11:01 AM

The 6th is the most expensive arrondissement in Paris (in terms of real estate), and also the absolutely most popular with Americans. It absolutely lives for high end tourists.

The 1st arrondissement, in spite of the Louvre, still has authentic streets where tourists are not a priority.
Oct 24th, 2007, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your feedback! We're still back and fourth. The apartment in the 1st is much nicer--so we may go that direction. Interested in all feedback. Keroauc, where would you recommend as the best Arrondissement to stay for a first-time visitor who is visiting in January? Thanks, again!!
Oct 24th, 2007, 11:36 AM

Choose the 6th. I'm almost at the end of my month here and I don't want to leave. Yes...it's high end and touristy but you can go a few blocks away from Bd St-Germain and find quiet streets. Every time (like tonight) I come out of Monoprix (supermarket) and see St-Germain-des-Pres church lit up against the sky I want to stay forever.

This is a very convenient area and I'm so glad I chose it. It was a great experience.
Oct 24th, 2007, 12:11 PM

I've been vacatoning in Paris, almost annually, for 3 decdes-plus and have stayed in a LOT of districts and after staying in the 6th in 1981, well that's where I've been ever since. It has a lot of energy along with great shopping and just a great feel. And yes, there will be those who say that there can be lots of tourists walking around in the 6th, but it's Paris and a tourist city. That's never been a problem for me. Happy Travels!
Oct 24th, 2007, 12:24 PM

There is no best arrondissement to visit, and each person will have his own preferences.

I live in the 18th arrondissement, but if I could easily move, I would almost certainly choose to live in the 10th or 11th, because they are still authentic and quintessentially Parisian, not very chic, but with a bohemian quirkiness that is generally a portent of coming trends.
Oct 24th, 2007, 01:10 PM

I think if you really like the apt. in the first a whole lot better, it will be fine. I don't like St Germain myself that much, it's just too full of tourists and expensive and not normal -- to me. However, I will admit that a lot of first-time tourists do like it and you probably will, also. It's hard to say without knowing how you like certain kinds of areas as to how you'd feel. Paris is a large city, there are 20 arrondisements, there isn't one area that is best for everyone.

If I had to best, I'd say the 6th would be more foolproof.
Oct 24th, 2007, 03:32 PM

Marci:

We stayed in an apartment on Rue Croix des Petit Champs (#44) this past June for 12 days. The gals I travelled with found the location particularly convenient to the Louvre, which is right down the street. That is also where the "main" metro line (line 1) is, so it is easy to get to things. Lots of buses as well.

Both Parisvision and Cityrama (the two largest tour companies) have offices within walking distance, so if you take tours anywhere, it will be easy to get to their offices to pick up the bus.

Please e-mail me at if you need more information: [email protected].

Oct 24th, 2007, 06:51 PM

Marci,

I have been a tourist to Paris often. Think of the 20 arrondissements as 20 villages, each with a unique texture and richness. (read "Around and About Paris, the trilogy by Thirza Vallois). If you love the apartment in the 1st Arrondissement, then take it. In Arr. 1-8, location is totally irrelevent. If you are in the 1st you can WALK to the 6th in under 15 minutes, by metro, 5 minutes. The 6th is very tourist oriented.

Which arrondissement you choose is very subjective. Thus far, I have rented apartments in the 5th, 18th and 11th. When I return, I will choose the 10th, 11th, 18th or 20th.

Why? fewer tourists...and I can be anywhere in the 20 Arr. within one half hour by metro...actually, not much more time by walking.

Whatever you decide, enjoy!
Oct 24th, 2007, 06:59 PM

Not to throw you off but we stayed in the 4th in June of `06 (and I grew up in the 16th). We stayed in Apt. #22 from www.rentparis.com It was a super decision, the place was spotless and the people although business like were very nice. Michele
Oct 24th, 2007, 07:35 PM

How old are you and your friends and how significant of an issue is budget -- do you all make equally good money? If expenses really aren't a problem (you don't mind paying $7 for coffee, etc.) I think the 6th is a great place for 3 girlfriends who want to shop, hang out at cafes, etc.

The Marais seemed to have a lot of energy, very vibrant and young -- but there were still reasonably priced restaurants and cafes, etc.
Oct 24th, 2007, 07:45 PM

I have been puzzled about why everyone likes the 6th so much for some time..I guess it's because I dislike the St Michel "tourist trail" going west to the church....I like the 4th arr.the best..
The area I like most in the 6th is the area bordering the 5th and south..I think I will stay there and see what I'm missing.Maybe I need to spend more time there.I found the Boul evard St Germaine so noisy with all the bus traffic.But wherever I stay I always like to be a 5-10 minute walk from the church and that eliminates the 7th for me.
Oct 24th, 2007, 08:07 PM

If by the 1st you mean on the island, I am absolutely facinated to try that my next visit. What's the hotels? Oh never mind, I see we're talking about apartments...beven better!

Oct 24th, 2007, 08:13 PM

The islands are not in the 1st - they're in the 4th. Attention in the 1st focuses on the Louvre.
Oct 24th, 2007, 08:16 PM

You know, the western tip of Ile de Cite is in the 1st... otherwise, the rest is in the 4th.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO