Picking a destination is overwhelming!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2004, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My boyfriend and I are planning our first trip to Europe.. or to any other continent for that matter and we're so confused as to where to go. I'd like something a little more "foreign" than London (not to put down London or anything).. like with a different language, etc. I THINK I've narrowed it down to Rome, Paris, or Germany (not sure what City is good to visit there). My boyfriend really wants to go to Tokyo but I'm just not ready for that yet, lol.

Anyways, I guess I'm asking for advice (and venting to relieve my stress)! Any ideas for a nice first time destination?

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 04:22 PM

There are so many great places in Europe, I doubt you'll go wrong although some cities/countries are easier than others. You need to figure out a budget first...

Or you can put a map on the wall, take a dart, aim and go whereever it lands ;-)

Japan might be a little trickier if you've never been abroad...

Debbie
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 04:25 PM

You are asking a very tough question.

No one can tell you where to go if you have no interest in any one place. I have been to Tokyo a few times and would not recommend that. Not that great of a place for the first time overseas visitor.

Germany is fun to visit. Bavaria is beautiful. So is Italy or Switzerland. You just need to do your research and decide on your own.
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 04:27 PM

If you advise what you're most interested in people can provide better advice? (History, culture art, food, wine beaches, hiking, biking???) What time of year do you want to go? What's your budget? How much time do you have?

If you're really lost you may want to consider getting a couple of brochures from tour companies and looking at the pictures. When you see the ones that make you say "I have to be there" you've at least narrowed down the options".
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 04:29 PM

I keep writing out great advice then changing my mind LOL
OK...
London, very nice, speak English, shorter trip from the East Coast and probably cheaper air fare but the pound is way up there, everything will cost you about double.
*London, tons of history, parks, plays, good restaurants, shopping and fun things to do and see*
Paris, very nice, speak French (do you? if you don't it is OK) a little bit longer flight, a little bit more airfare, the Euro will not kill you.
*Paris-museums!amazing churches, food and shopping and parks and food*
Japan...about 15-17 hours from Fl? and expensive airfare, very expensive hotels, do you speak Japanese ( doesn't matter but can be difficult at times)
*Japan-amazing food, people, sights, city is mindboggling, just amazing*
My first trip abroad was to London, followed by Paris. When you decide, please tell us when you make it
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick replies

I know it's our decision and believe me, I'm a researcher! - it's just comforting to hear some feedback sometimes, ya know?

Budget isn't HUGE concern.. I think in saving for a little over a year, we'll be able to have a comfortable and enjoyable vacation. (No 5 star hotels, obviously).

I'm leaning towards Paris.. something about it just is so intriguing (sp?)

The map idea is a good one! lol

Thanks again.
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

We're planning on Sept 2005. Our interests are mainly culture I guess. I love destinations with a lot of "atmosphere" like feeling right in the middle of everyday life. On that note, I'd hate somewhere that's EXTREMELY full of tourists around every single corner.. I like the quiet streets/places/corners that aren't major attractions but are still appealing..

I can't explain it.. hope you get what I mean.

Old Oct 17th, 2004, 04:43 PM

Paris. Paris. Paris.
It has everything you want. Look for a hotel in a "neighbourhood", or rent an apartment. Just sitting in a park or at a sidewalk cafe will help you get the "atmosphere" you're looking for. There is nowhere like Paris. *Sigh*
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 05:02 PM
amelia

I was just about to ask you, "What city did you see in movies that always made you want to go there," a good question posed by some poster on this board years ago to help another in your situation, but then I saw you just wrote...

"I love destinations with a lot of "atmosphere" like feeling right in the middle of everyday life"

that's pretty much how we feel about Paris.

Go. Enjoy.

Old Oct 17th, 2004, 05:12 PM

Paris would be a wonderful trip if it is your first time to Europe. My hubby and I went last April . . . both of us had been to Europe before, but Paris was in a class by itself. I must think of our trip for at least a moment every day!
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 05:14 PM

Gosh, what a fun dilema you have. With what little experience I have, I too would vote Paris. You didn't say how many days you were planning for your vacation. I noticed with Paris, you can be as active and busy or as quiet as you want to be. It's wonderful and I couldn't really think of a better place to begin your travels. There have been some wonderful trip reports posted in the last couple of weeks so read some of them and see if they pique your interest.
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 05:23 PM

I agree with Taggie. Paris, Paris, Paris!
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 05:34 PM
P_M

Based on what you said you are looking for, I cast another vote for Paris. Save Japan until after you have more travel experience.
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 06:39 PM

Anywhere in Italy would also get my vote. Why don't you sit down and pinpoint your top three choices and start checking the airfare. Pick the one out of your top three that has the best hotel and airfare price and then start planning your trips to the other two that were vetoed this time. You are in for a wonderful treat. Have fun. Jackie
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 05:27 AM
ira

Hi beth,

For two young people in love: Paris.
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 05:27 AM
ira

or Venice
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your help.. We talked and decided. Paris it is! Now the fun part - planning
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 06:53 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I was off the board over the weekend so didn't get to cast my vote -LOL. PARIS would be my suggestion too. It is the perfect place for a 1st trip to Europe! It's plenty foreign, romantic as heck, but not difficult to plan and navigate a lovely trip there.

If you have more than 10 days, you might like to add Venice by overnight train, but only if you have the cash and a couple weeks total.
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 06:54 AM

Ahh, Paris. We just returned and, even though it was my 8th trip, I look forward to Paris more than any other destination. You will have lots of fun planning and get lots of help, if you need it, from the Fodorites who love Paris.
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 07:04 AM

I would agree with the Paris and Venice suggestions. Both cities just have a very special feel to them.

Course don't discount the dart thrown at the map idea either. One of my friends does that every other year and its really interesting the places she has gone

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -