Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Piazza Rondanini apartment in Rome - Have you stayed here recently?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25th, 2006, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our first choice for apartments in Rome is not available. However, Sleepinitaly has given me this apartment as an alternative:

http://www.sleepinitaly.com/files/apt_rondanini.html

I've found a few postings about travelers making a reservation here, but no reviews yet. Has anyone actually stayed here, and if so would you mind giving an honest review?

Thanks!
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 10:43 AM

When are you going?

In just 3 weeks I will in residence there in Piazza Rondanini 29!!!

Neopolitan stayed here recently (July) and here is the link to that thread (note mispelling, which is probably why you didn't find it when searching).

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34841856

BTW, celiaanne who had booked it for the first week of October has been shunted off into another apartment elsewhere. I selected this apartment in May after my first choice booked in February became 'unavailable' (I heard due to the owner becoming pregnant and wanting to move in herself).

However I have to say I am waiting on tenterhooks for that email stating that I have been bumped yet again.

Saying that, SleepInItlay have a very good reputation here and on other boards, so maybe it is just down to exceptional circumstances.

Good luck, and if I do get to stay there in 3 weeks time I will post back and give an honest review, if Neo's isn't good enough for you!
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, julia, for the link. On another travel site (TTG), I was given the link also (you're right about not finding it on a search because of the mis-spelling).

We are planning a March '07 trip, so it is a ways off, but it is also during their Easter season (a week before), so many places are booked.

I have emailed sleepinitaly, asking about the smell, to see if they will answer a question about it (which I doubt), so I am at the point where I just have to make a decision. The location seems great and the price, too. No windows in BR doesn't matter at all as we just sleep there. Even on slowtrav there are no reviews for this place.

Decisions, decisions
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 01:48 PM

It has too be pretty noisy there with a 1000+ naked people running around all day.
Well it once was .

That piazza is built over the NE corner of the 'Baths of Nero' (~64AD).

Got to www.maquettes-historiques.net/P23.html the 2nd model down shows the Baths of Nero.

That apartment would be located around that 'small courtyard/round dome' section just to the left-center of the model.
Regards, Walter
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 12:26 AM

That is fascinating, Walter. Thank you. The knowledge that I am showering above where Nero himself might have once bathed will add a certain frisson to my ablutions!
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 09:45 AM

Don't you just love Walter? He doesn't post often, but when he does, it's priceless!
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 12:53 PM

Sorry Julia but Nero probably never even dipped his toe into the water.

This large public bath complex was built for the people by the Emperor to show what a nice guy he was.

Nero would have bathed in a private bath in the palace and not with the riff-raff .
Although he was the 2nd of the 'Mad Emperors' and he killed his mother, his ex-wife and kicked his pregnant 2nd wife to death perhaps it's better that the riff-raff didn't associate with him.

The rich and powerful also went to the public baths to socialize even if they had private baths, they were like country clubs.

Thanks LC
Regards, Walter