Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Piazza Michelangelo - should we stop for pix?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be driving by Florence on a Tuesday in July on the way from Lucca via A11 to A1 around Florence to SR222 to go south toward Montalcino and Pienza. I'm thinking it might be a good idea to stop at the Piazza Michelangelo and/or San Miniato al Monte for a peek at Florence since we will be so close and if there is enough time (which we will only know that day depending on how ambitious we are trying to get up). Of course if we feel we have the time, we want to be prepared!

What would be the best approach to the Piazza from the west?
If we only stop at one of the areas, does the church have the better views?
Is there easy parking at both places?
Will there be a lot of tour busses at the Piazza so should we just go to the church?

I love a great view!
Old Jun 23rd, 2011, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jun 23rd, 2011, 10:02 AM

Easy parking at Piazzale Michelangelo (it is basically a large parking lot with scenic overlook), less so from San Miniato al Monte. I also think you get more sweeping view from the piazzale, including a good angle at the Arno River and the Ponte Vecchio, which I don't think you could see from San Miniato al Monte.

Maps.google.com gives good directions that head east, then south and skirt central Florence (where you would be troubled by ZTL) and approach from the south of the city.
Old Jun 23rd, 2011, 10:10 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
definitely make a stop there if you can. the views over the city are lovely, though the parapet gets a bit crowded with people elbowing each other out of the way for the best pitch to take their snaps.

there is quite a lot of parking on the road up to san Miniato, so if you can find somewhere to park you could walk up to the church [the mosaics make it well worth the effort] and/or have a drink/gelato at the cafe just below the piazzale.
Old Jun 24th, 2011, 12:41 AM

Absolutely it is worth it, nice view, and also if you have time to visit the two churches up there as well - and the cemetery is just incredible.
Old Jun 24th, 2011, 01:07 AM

Piazzale Michelangelo has the better view of Florence in terms of uninterupted and vast. As has been noted, parking is available, and if you go there in the morning (before 9.00, then again between 10.30 and 11.30) you should avoid the busses (many are there in the afternoons or for about 20misn in the morning). The view from San Miniato al Monte is also very good, but is a little higher up so unless you have a powerful camera the shots will be less detailed.

There are a few spots at Piazzale Michelangelo to get your shots - if it's too crowded on the top level, just wander down to the next level (where the pizza restaurant is) and you can get shots from the terrace.
Old Jun 24th, 2011, 01:23 AM

If you do make the climb to San Miniato, do stop for a few moments to enter the cemetery, on your right as you near the church. There is a grave very near the entry that I love. A mother, with her cape protecting her children ...
Old Jun 24th, 2011, 04:48 AM

If you happen to get there in the early evening, the setting sun turns the Arno river gold and makes a beautiful sight and picture.
Old Jun 24th, 2011, 04:50 AM

I should have added this is from Piazza Michelangelo.
Old Jun 24th, 2011, 06:00 AM

Agree with others about the preference for the PM. Also agree about sunset.
Old Jun 24th, 2011, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions. Unfortunately, it will be the morning as we will be on the way from Lucca to Pienza, although the sunset picture will be mentally saved for a future trip. I'll keep in mind to get there by 11:30 to avoid the busses. That's a great tip.

It sounds like it would be best to get there by SR2 from the A1 autoroute? This will avoid any ZTL?
And leaving, will I avoid any ZTL going directly east down Viale Michelangelo to Via Coluccio Salutati to Viale Donato to Viale Europa to SR127? (sorry if some of the spellings are wrong - I printed some maps and now that I'm trying to use them, I see the writing is way too small! Good to have a trial run!)
Old Jun 25th, 2011, 02:00 AM

Have you tried using a site like viamichelin.com to check the best route in and out of the city?

you can put in as many "diversions" as you like ie starting at Lucca, ending at Pienza, and stopping at the piazzale michelangelo, firenze, on the way.
Old Jun 25th, 2011, 02:21 AM

I would agree with all the above. When approaching from the south. It is the cheapest, most acessible place to park, avoids any risk of being fined for entering the restricted traffic zone.

It also has in our view the best view of Florence. We now just go, park up, wander round the Bobali Gardens at the side of the Piazza, have our butties and go home. Can't be bothered with the heat or the cruise tour parties over the river.
Old Jun 25th, 2011, 04:15 AM
Original Poster

Perfect! This is a definite stop!
Old Jun 25th, 2011, 10:01 AM

FYI, just below the piazzale michelangelo is the florence rose garden, open until the end of june [ish]. it was in full bloom when i was there just over a month ago, so I suspect that the best blooms are over but if you've got time, it may be worth a look.
Old Jun 25th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks annhig - we'll be there early July so maybe we can't do that? It would be nice to walk around there.
Old Jun 25th, 2011, 01:59 PM

http://www.firenze.net/turismo/cm_dettaglio.wbs?id_contenuto=4339&id_categorie=25 >>

kwren - this website says that it's open to the end of July, so you may be in luck. i really loved it, but then i'am a bit mad about roses.

another lovely garden in oltrarno is the giardino barbini; it has a nice cafe and lovely sculptures with cascades and grottos.

http://www.gardenvisit.com/garden/giardino_bardini.

you can get into the boboli gardens on the same ticket and supposedly they are linking all the gardens together on a green corridor.
Old Jun 25th, 2011, 02:07 PM

Ann

Did you see Monty Don's series covering the Italian gardens. I had never realised that concept of a flowerless Tuscan garden is a modern misconception and mis-interpretation of the old renaissance gardens. Still got to try and make it to La Foce.

On the subject of gardens did you see that The Times this week? It reviewed the development of my favourite garden in the world, Dan Pearson's Home Farm. The house changed hands 3 years ago and the new owners had not even realised the background to the garden. Thankfully they have retained Dan's design.

http://www.danpearsonstudio.com/#/se...ate/home-farm/
Old Jun 25th, 2011, 02:32 PM

hi humpty,

yes, i did see Monty Don's series. I actually didn't think it was as good as the one he did on gardens of the world a couple of years ago, but perhaps that's because most of the gardens he did in Italy I had seen/heard of. i don't know - they'll be saying next that french knot gardens ought to be full of alyssum and lobelia with marigolds and petunias.

I missed the article in the Times - thanks for the link. It's obviously a lovely place but a bit restrained for me - I'm more of a Christopher Lloyd type, or would like to be should time and money allow.
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 03:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info annhig