Piazza de Popolo area of Rome

Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 03:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Piazza de Popolo area of Rome

Hello,
Has anyone some advice or comments about this area of Rome? We are staying at the hotel Piranesi on the Via Babuino and wondered if anyone had stayed there and could comment. We know the Spanish Steps are south of us, but is there anything of interest near the Piazza de Popolo area, too?
Thanks for any help.
Htebiram
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 03:59 AM

I have not stayed at this hotel but actually lived in the neighborhood many years ago. It is a wonderful location. Piazza Del Popolo has two famous cafes that are great for people watching-Rosati and Canova. There are famous churches- including the twin churches that lead to Via Babuino, Via Del Corso and Via Repetta. Santa Maria Del Popolo has two paintings by Caravaggio and is worth a visit. You are also near the entrance to the Borghese Gardens and the Pincio which overlooks Piazza del Poppolo and offers a beautiful view of Rome. Via Babuino is a narrow street and it has some of the most exclusive stores. The narrowness can make it difficult for walking on a busy day but that's part of the Rome experience. You are very close to the Spanish Steps, Via Condotti, the Trevi Fountain. Off of Via Babuino, just before the Spanish Steps is Via Margutta- that is a quaint lovely street with art galleries and small boutiques. If you are up for a good walk you can walk to Piazza Rotunda and Navonna. Rome is a great walking city but you just need to have comfortable shoes. I recommend geting the Knopf Mapguide for Rome (it lays out the city section-by-section). It has streets labeled clearly and highlight points of interest as well as stores and restaurants by neighborhood.
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 02:44 PM

My goodness! I'm just on a nostalgia trip reading posts.....but I wish I had known "risab" when I first went to Rome.
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 04:16 PM

If you want a good overview of the area, rent "Roman Holiday" the William Wyler film of the mid-50s, starring Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck. Peck's apartment is in the via Margutta and much of the early action takes place in the via Margutta and the area immediately south (Spanish steps, Trevi fountain etc). No shots, alas, of P.zza del Popolo -- one of the great public areas of Rome.

Like you I shall be staying soon in that corner of Rome -- March 2006.
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 04:23 PM

More specifically: I at v. del Babuino, 98 and you at v. del Babuino, 196
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 04:31 PM

Well...fortunately I have a best friend who teaches each year in Rome (we actually met over 20 years ago as art students in Rome). She lives on Via Cestari which is one of the side streets from the Pantheon...another wonderful area of Rome. I have been fortunate to have visited a few times in the past few years and for me Rome feels like my second home. However, on my last trip I also stayed at a small pension on Via Del Boschetto (between Via Nazionale and Via Cavour)- not far from the Coloseum. This was a new area for me and I would like to recommend it because it was a great surprise. Via Boschetto and Via Panisperna have wonderful artist boutiques- clothing designers, glass, weavers- it is a very cool area. It also has some great little wine bars and restaurants. It reminds me of the lower east side of NY and Smith Street in Brooklyn (my home)- very cool area. There are also a lot of Indian restaurants in the area, too.
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 05:24 PM

Definitely don't miss the Caravaggios in Sta Maria del Popolo!!

The Museo di Villa Giulia in the Borghese Gardens is often overlooked--antiquities, mostly Etruscan (aside from Greek vases found in Etruscan tombs), Faliscan, etc. Superb material. From P.za del Popolo it is not that far; I took a bus so I couldn't tell you how far the walk is. If you're a history buff, it's a collection worth seeing.

And, naturally, there's the Galleria Borghese!
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 06:51 PM

Risa, what was your pensione?
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 04:16 PM

The pension is called Soggiorno Il Girasole and is a kosher- The owner can be reached at www.soggiornoilgirasole.com
It is not fancy but the room was immaculate and large. The bathroom was small but adequate but if you have a large frame then the shower might be a tight fit. Breakfast is included but it is not great... however, there is a fridge that you can keep your own items. It is in an apartment building. The prices are very reasonable and I would stay there again. There is another lovely place nearby called Antica Locanda- also on Via Boschetto- www.anitica-locanda.com. It is above a really nice enoteca (wine bar) that I ate at a few times. Great food, atmosphere, and wonderful wine. The owner is very hospitable.
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 01:38 AM

Thanks, Risa. The link didn't work for me, but I googled the name and found the info for it.
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 02:08 AM

There's also an excellent restaurant on the Piazza del Popolo called Dal Bolognaise.
Via Babuino has some great shops, as well as the beautiful Hotel de Russie.
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 03:05 AM

From Frommer's guide:

"At Dal Bolognese, Piazza del Popolo 1-2 (tel. 06-3611426), not only can you take in this fascinating scene, but you'll also enjoy fine Bolognese cuisine as enticing as the people-watching."
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 11:11 PM

I read somewhere that Tom Cruise had one of the chefs from Dal Bolognese flown out to his yacht in the Caribbean last year to prepare some of his dishes. Apart from that, it's really a very Italian restaurant, classic food. Do reserve.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 11:56 AM

We are also staying in that area in March. Actually, in an apartment between Piazza de Popolo & the Spanish Steps on Via del Corso. Wondering if there is a supermarket nearby? Also looking for a great cafe for morning coffee.