Search

Phone cards

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 08:15 AM
John

Phone cards

need advice. going to France in 2 weeks. Should/can I get phone cards in US or do so in Paris? Where to get them? <BR>Thanks

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 09:59 AM
Kathy

John, <BR>As not all phone cards issued outside of France work in France, you should purchase one there. These are readily sold at a "tabac", shops selling smokes & other sundries. I think you also may be able to purchase one at the airport. <BR>Kathy

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 11:41 AM
AS

Just back from France and used a phone card I purchased at Cosco in the US. <BR>It worked so easily in all phone booths and was well worth the $24.00 I paid. <BR>When you get home you can also use it for long distance calls. <BR>Highly recommend it.

Old Jun 2nd, 2001, 05:13 PM
Dave

Check out Consumer Reports Travel Letter Nov. 2000.

Old Jun 2nd, 2001, 07:14 PM
xxx

AS <BR> <BR>I have looked at Costco for a phone card but have only seen MCI or Sprint domestic cards. Can you tell me a little more about yours? What was the brand? How many minutes did you get for your $24.00? <BR> <BR>Thanks

Old Jun 2nd, 2001, 08:15 PM
Deborah

I have used my MCI card from Costco on three trips to Europe (it is rechargable--5.9 cents per unit). When I am at a telephone in Europe, I dial the access number for that country (included in the paperwork when you buy the card). Then I enter my country code number (I think that's what it is called)--a three diget number which is also on the MCI card. I am connecting to an English language line in the country. The directions then instruct me to dial my number (area code & local number). If I have a problem, an operator helps me with the call--in English. Very easy. A call from Germany is 3 units per minute, Italy 3 units, France 4 units, etc. Very cheap. <BR> <BR>Deborah

Old Jun 3rd, 2001, 05:31 AM
Dave

I bought a prepaid phone card at Costco for $20 +tax. It was a Sprint card, and it says it is good for 480 minutes. This works out to 4.2c per min. International calls are more, but are cheaper than regular calling. Most of the larger foreign countries are included. <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 3rd, 2001, 07:32 AM
as

John <BR> <BR>The card I bought at Cosco was the Spring Card. You get 480 minutes. I have to correct the cost. It was 20.00.If you read the fine print it tells you about international calls. When you open the card it list the connection numbers for almost all of Europe. <BR>Very easy.

Old Jun 3rd, 2001, 07:50 AM
blondie

Hi, <BR> <BR>In addition to the Costco Sprint Card, there is an online service that allows you to buy a calling card for $20.00 + 2.oo processing fee. If you buy two cards or spend $40.00 the $2 fee is waived. The site is Nobel.com. <BR>All they do is give you an access code and a pin and viola! No card is actually sent.

Old Jun 3rd, 2001, 07:52 AM
blondie

I forgot to mention the global calling card is 20 for 125 minutes which is 16cents a minute which is less than the ones in the tabac stores. I don't know about the Costco card.