Search

Petit Trianon

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Petit Trianon

Is there a way to get there from the RER station without walking the 3 k's?
Old Aug 19th, 2009, 11:13 PM

Some walking is inevitable when visiting Versailles. There's a sort of trolley that takes people around the gardens, but I don't remember if it makes a stop at the Petit Trianon (it probably does). Still, you must walk to the palace and gardens, so there's plenty of walking that remains.
Old Aug 19th, 2009, 11:15 PM

It is only a few blocks, easily walkable unless there is a health issue. Once you come out of the train station walk over to Ave De Paris & you will see the palace.

If you can't walk that far how will you walk around Versailles?
Old Aug 20th, 2009, 12:30 AM

You should be in training if you want to walk Versailles! Start now! It is huge! Even walking from the RER to the palace is a distance. And that's nothing when compared to the walking you will do within the grounds in order to see the Trianons, the palace, Marie's place, etc. I have spent many days there and always return totally exhausted. And I am accustomed to walking 5-6 miles a day.
Old Aug 20th, 2009, 03:29 AM

I don't think it's 3KM from the RER to the Palace. I remember about a 10 minute walk and I certainly can't walk 3KM in 10 minutes! You will also have to walk to the metro station from where ever you are staying and then from the metro station to the RER station. My recollection is that the walk from the Palace to the Petit Trianon is much longer than the walk to the Palace from the RER station.

As other posters have stated, if you can't walk from the RER station then you won't be able to see Versailles as there is lots of walking.

There is a little train to take you around the grounds.

Why not do a bus excursion from Paris if walking is a problem. You'll be starting from the entrance to the courtyard and will be fresher for the visit.
Old Aug 20th, 2009, 04:22 AM

Is the little train/trolley a courtesy or is there a charge?
Would imagine it could get pretty crowded. Thanks--
Old Aug 20th, 2009, 04:55 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
There is a charge for the tram around the grounds. There can be a line. I was there several years ago and had to wait a while but I don't know what the usual wait would be.
Old Aug 20th, 2009, 08:28 AM

I don't think it's 3 km from the train station, although it might take longer than 10 minutes for some folks. mappy.fr says it is only about 515 meters (half a km).

I took that little tram around the grounds, as it was very hot and I thought it was convenient, some of the areas are kind of far apart. There was a charge, of course, but it wasn't outrageous to me. It was very convenient, I thought, but you still may end of walking between some of the things rather than the tram (I think I walked between the hameau and some other building, maybe the trianon or what they call the French pavilion).
Old Aug 20th, 2009, 09:30 AM
yk

Since the title of the thread is the <b>Petit Trianon</b>, I assume the OP meant the distance from the RER station to Petit Trianon, NOT to the entrance of Versailles.

As others said, there's a choo-choo tram you can buy tickets for once you're inside the grounds of Versailles, which you can take to the Petit Trianon. I think there are bicycles for rent too, but not all year round.
Old Aug 20th, 2009, 10:16 AM

I think you're correct, yk. I'm getting so used to fluky titles that don't correlate to the message that I (and others) misunderstood the question.

Ron - take the little train!

I remember walking to the Petit Trianon and it was a long walk.