Personalized D-day tour?

Search

Personalized D-day tour?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25th, 2015, 08:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personalized D-day tour?

We will be in Normandy at the end of May this year and are interested in a private tour that is tailored to the travails of the father of one of our group. I've done some research and initial inquiries, but would like to hear any personal recommendations. It is important that he or she be able to beef up the tour with information or scenes associated with his time. It is a pretty short time frame Pointe du Hoc to Brest, where he was severely injured and did not return to battle thereafter.
Old Dec 26th, 2015, 04:16 AM

We were going to do this tour after much research but rented a car and did our own.
http://www.overlordtour.com/which-is...r-for-you.html
Old Dec 26th, 2015, 06:52 AM

On the Bayeux page of Trip Advisor there are several 'private tour' options.
Perhaps you can contact a few and see if anyone can help you.

The Mr and I loved our Normandy Beach tour.

Good luck!

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio..._Normandy.html
Old Dec 26th, 2015, 10:25 AM

I would also highly recommend Overlordtour. We used them for a personalized tour. The guide picked us up at our B and B and was very willing to go to sites we particularly wanted to see. We spent as much or as little time as we needed at each location, and he was a fountain of information. Very worthwhile.
Old Dec 26th, 2015, 12:20 PM

We went with guide Stuart Robertson. I think it's normandybattletours.com. We hired him for 2 full days a few years ago and he and my DH tailored our tour to what my DH was most interested in. I like history but thought two whole days would be a bit much. But I was fully engaged the whole time. Stuart is an awesome tour guide, having met with and interviewed many of the WWII vets. And he has co-authored a book about the invasion.

We enjoyed our tour so much we've hired Stuart again for 3 full days this May to finish up what we didn't have time for before.

Having said all of that, we booked Stuart at the beginning of March this year for May of 2016 and he only had a couple of choices for dates so he's likely already full. But that speaks to his popularity.

Have a great trip.
Old Dec 26th, 2015, 05:52 PM

We hired Sean Claxton as a private guide for our trip this past September. He was fantastic. You'll need your own car to drive and he'll talk the entire time, customize your tour to your interests, and research areas of particular interest to you. Highly recommend.
Old Dec 28th, 2015, 12:02 AM
Original Poster

I'd like to thank those who responded. We've just booked a personalized day tour with Overlord tours. I'll certainly provide a report on our return.