Personal notes on travel with 10 year old

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2010, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Based on our rushed Thursday am to Tuesday blitz of London and Paris. Purpose of trip to have 10 yr old grandaughter visit cousins who live in London plus day and half in Paris and not miss too much school. Of course, it would be better to have more time and better weather, but London cousins in NY for summer and away on school holidays. Flew from NYC AA 9:30am flight. Very good, in fact better imho than my usual BA flights...more pleasant attendants, new plane, very clean. Had car service bring us to home, got there in time for snack and bed. Slept well. Friday weather cool, overcast, drizzel. We slept late, showered (one of few of trip) and went to Tower of London by underground after lunch. GD noted how clean and comfortable underground was in contrast to NYC. GM note...if kids do not know English history historical sites not that meanful and interesting. GD did not know anything about Traitor's Gate. Followed Tower guide for a few stops, saw jewels, GD excited when she saw George 3rd seat since she knew about him. And that is the moral of this report, kids need to be briefed in advance or they get much less from the experience. This is not news to anyone reading this but I had forgotten the knowledge base of 10 years of age.
Saturday we did brass rubbing at St. Martin in the Field. Big hit! Saw "The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert " musical matinee. OK, not really suitable for kids, but had been recommended by previously reliable source. Interesting .. large group hearing impaired people there and excellent, amazing person signing. Show lots of fun, high energy and kids did not seem to notice questional parts. Double-decker bus home, pizza, and homework.
Up early Monday for 10am Eurostar to Paris. Great easy train trip. Metro to Hotel Millesime, 15 rue Jacob. Rue Jacob my favorite hotel street, hotel very pleasant, helpful staff, room large enought for three single beds for the kids. (Very nice double room for me.), nice breakfast...would recommend this hotel. Lunch in City Crepes Cafe...ok, then walk to Notre Dame. Even more beautiful than last year. In fact, all Paris more beautiful than even last year, maybe because the weather was clear, sunny and not cold. Too late to climb tower, missed by 10 minutes. Went to Roman crypt instead. Interesting to adults, not so much to kids. Walked along the Seine since closed to traffic on Sundays. Back to hotel, dinner at large bistro corner of St. Germain des Pres near Odeon. Several movies filmed there, but forget the name. Very pleasant waiter, no other tourists. Kids ate steak, potatoes, desert. Food ok, but good choice for kids. Back to hotel for SLEEP. Breakfast at 9am in hotel, included good cold buffet. Metro to Eiffel Tower. Quite overcast, but not cold. Only 2 stages open. Some walked others took elevator. Spent some time checking out sights. Could not see Notre Dame as too overcast. Then crepes and Seine river cruise as weather imporoved. Tower and cruise good choices. Taxi to ile Saint-Louis, lunch at Aux Anysetiers du Roy because it was quaint, open and empty at 3pm. Food fair, but the kids liked it and it was very pleasant, then stop in fancy chocolate shop next door, walk back to hotel, get bags, metro to train and back to London. Tuesday car came at 7:30 to take us to Heathow.
I had very good time, kids liked being together, When I see messages on this board of very intense schedules for trips with kids I wonder how much the kids enjoy doing that. We did not do many "must see" sights, my GD should have been better prepared, but kids do get bored. They like to "do" more than "see". We would have done the London Eye but it rained that day. The Eye might be a disappointment since it goes so slowly you hardly know you are moving. I was asked to report on my trip. I have previously traveled a lot with my kids when they were young, and every year with my London grandkids, but mainly resorts with limited daytrips. "Doing" London, Paris, New York, etc. with kids is not like doing it with adults. It is a whole other experience.
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 09:11 AM

I'd love to read this but am put off by the lack of paragraphing. It's hard to folllow.
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 09:21 AM

You're brave. My kids are 1 & 3, obviously way too young now but I've often wondered when we will dare to start traveling with them.
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 09:48 AM

Thanks for the trip report Elainee. Did you remember to ask your grandkids what they enjoyed most during your short visit and what the London grandkids liked to do?

I agree that 10 year olds these days are not well prepared in world history. I think we learned a lot more than they do today.
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 10:09 AM

I enjoyed reading your report of your trip with your granddaughter. It must have been a whirlwind of a trip but what memories for your grandchildren and you.

I went to Paris with my 6 yr old granddaughter last April and look forward to doing it again when her younger brother is a little older.

Even though, as you say, it is a "whole other experience" with kids, it is just so much fun to see them take such delight in the sights that we all love.
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 10:23 AM
BKP

Elainee -- loved your trip report. I'm a little out of breath just reading it! I too want to hear from the children what their favorite parts were.

bg17 -- you don't have to wait for your kids to grow up to travel with them. Our son's first trip to Paris was at 11 months. He's 4 now and has been all over the place. Elainee's trip is a perfect example of traveling with kids -- it's not what you would do if you were on your own but it can still be really enjoyable.