perillo tour with 72 year old mom

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2004, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am desperate to go to Italy and really don't want to take this tour on my own...I think this board has covered this already, but do you think a tour will be too much for my mom...she isn't a big walker and has some health issues...she really wants to go to italy but I am not sure I want to be 'alone' with her and do this independently. I guess I also am worried about hospital care there incase something happens..she was just in the hospital for a day last week. But I also want her to see Italy before it is too late and her health deteriorates more...any suggestions? The perillo tour is 11 days with 2 or 3 day stays at the hotel, not a daily change...
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 12:56 PM

On any bus tour it's up to you how much you want to walk - from staying on the bus to taking hikes and everything in between. You mom may choose to sit on a bench while the group walks to some sightseeing spot. Everything will be taken care of - lodging, food (even if food is not included the bus will take you to a restaurant). Go for it! Just make sure your mom has health insurance which cover accidents outside of USA (worldwide coverage).
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 01:23 PM

I have traveled with relatives your mother's age and a tour becomes too much for them. I can tell you that one of the men (a friend of the family) could not handle it at all and we all thought we would have to leave for his sake.

On the other hand I have been on rivercruises in Europe with older people and they can just sit on board on the top deck if they dont want to do day tours and it worked out excellently.

Another idea would be to rent an apartment in a town or two and use it as a base. On days when your mom would be tired you could just walk a little ways to a cafe or a square and it would be wonderful.
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 03:28 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Grand Circle Tours (formerly AARP) stay in each location about 5 days and alternate tour days with days off so you can relax or do things that aren't offered on the tour. www.gct.com
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 03:35 PM

This is a decision only you and your Mom can make. Have you discussed it with the tour people? They may have advice for you since I'm sure they've run into this situation many times.

Do be sure you have insurance that covers medical care overseas and trip insurance that will fly her home in case of a major medical emergency.

As far as the health care in Italy. Don't worry about that. The care there is better than the care here. There is a fairly recent post discussing this very thing so you might use the search window above using Italy and hospitals or medical care or medicine or something like that.

Good luck and don't worry.
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 04:30 PM

Check into Grand Circle tours (altho' I'm sure others cater to "older" people as so many travel because they can afford it). I have been on 2 tours with GCT (Thailand & Malta) and they do an excellent job, regardless of your age (if you're younger than 50 you won't feel "too young." On the Malta tour there was a lady who walked with a cane and we never went too fast for her but she never bogged down the tour. As said above, there are free days to rest up (you could then go on your own). Plus if a day out seems too strenuous for your mom, she can opt out.
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 05:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Dear Deelyn:

Almost two years ago, my sister and I took our mom, 81, to Italy to find our roots. I used the Rick Steves Guide, Karen Brown, and this Board to make all of our plans. We used mostly trains & taxis, but had to get a car in Southern Italy to find my grandparents' home town.

I was going to do this trip alone with my mom, until my sis decided to join us. Boy, was I glad she was along, especially for the navigating with the car. A tour would take the pressure off of you for logistics etc. Plus, she could rest in the hotel or at a cafe while the group walked around. Don't delay this trip: Although my mom is in pretty good shape and did great,(plus she speaks Italian) I wish I had done this trip with her ten years sooner.

Good Luck,
Michelle
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 05:48 AM

My coworker has used Perillo/Italy at least 3 times in past 4 years with 80+ father-in-law. If there are any activities that your mom cannot do, or if she gets tired, you can rest at a cafe while waiting for tour group to return. Once you've checked into hotel for the day, mom can rest and you can go explore as a compromise on some days.
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 06:32 AM

Hi deelyn - I second everyone who tells you to do it. The tour you describe sounds very easy; your Mom can stay at the hotel if she needs a day off or stay on the bus part of the time (as my mother did) talking to the driver, or just sit in a cafe. The buses will park (usually) near a city center so there will be places close by. Often there will be others on the bus who also want to take a break and can join her. Traveling with parents can be challenging, but you will always treasure the memories and be glad you took the trip. Have fun!
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 06:57 AM

I would talk to the tour company directly and in detail - explaining your mothers health and activity level. Get details of the itinerary on a day by day basis to be sure of the number of early morning starts, especially after long/late days, long days on the bus etc. And then go over with your mom in detail.

My choice would be to organize the trip myself - with several days at each stop, half day tours or cab travel in the citiies - depending on how your mom feels that day - and only car travel in between. This would allow both of you the greatest freedom in terms of time/arrangements and require the least from your mom in terms of physical exertion.

I applaud you wanting to go with your mom - and hope it works out.
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 11:20 AM

Got excited when I saw Perillo Tour. Have been curious about them for a while and I must at least tour La Scala please. Called company but person didn't seem to know a thing about this possible "side trip-visit".Anyone out there got any input. This would be the "frosting" on Italy for me-thanks folks for any answers
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 11:25 AM

deelyn..just watch the insurance and make sure your mother is covered both for health and evacuation. you stated that your mother was recently hospitalized. many companies will not cover for similar condition within a set time period. read the small print and ask your doctor about flying.
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 11:40 AM

... wondering if a wheel-chair can be ordered by the company, say at a museum, such that your mother can be comfortable

(haven't I seen sort of foldable, collapsible ones?)
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 05:55 AM
june211

Use Perillo. We went on the same tour a couple of years ago. wide range of ages and your Mom will be fine. This tour is the best way to see alot of Italy in a short time. This year we are going back on our own but the Perillo tour gave us the confidence to try it alone. have fun and go, your mother will love it.