Day Trips from Montepulciano

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2004, 04:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be staying in an apartment in Montepulciano for a week in mid-September. Three places that we want to visit, Pisa, Lucca, and Florence, appear to be too far for just day trips as we would be spending too much time on the road.

My initial thinking is to pack a little ditty bag and one morning head out to see Pisa, have lunch in Lucca, and spend the night and the following day in Florence, then head back to Montepulciano. Would this work? Any thoughts?

The remainder of the week would be exploring Siena and the other towns and villages around Montepulciano.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 06:37 AM

I don't know that I would bother making a special trip to Pisa. Lucca on the other hand is worth the visit. It will take you a couple of hours from Montepulciano to get to Lucca, a little less to Florence.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 06:43 AM

Since I'm not the driver it's easy for me to say, but I really think you could do this in a couple of day trips. Only an hour and a half to two hours each way. Just space them out during your week. But I agree. Drop Piza. Maybe substitute Montecatini Terme and include it with your Lucca jaunt.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 07:10 AM

Distances and drive times in Tuscany are much longer than they appear on a map. Don't take on too much in one day.

BTW, we very much enjoyed Montepulciano during our Oct 2003 visit.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 07:40 AM

Budman,

A daytrip to Florence is possible.

We also rented an apt in Montepulciano and left early one am for Florence. Spent all day in Florence and back to the apt around 9:30 pm. It is a long day ..but we felt it was worth it.

A couple of suggestions..
1. Thursday is market day in Montepulciano and you get a real "local feel"

2. Check out the workshops at the top of the hill. A fabulous coppersmith and wood worker have their workshops there. Both of their "studios" are old world treasures.

Here is the coppersmith
http://www.pbase.com/image/22954598

and the wood worker..check out Pinnochio
http://www.pbase.com/image/22954604
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 08:35 AM

We just returned from a 3 week trip to Italy and we spent 8 days in Tuscany hiking from village to village. The last night we stayed near Montepulciano in a village called Montefollonico and had a wonderful dinner at La Botte Piena which I would recommend. For some other sights beside the large towns of Pisa, Lucca, and Florence the small towns we stayed in were wonderful. I would highly recommend visiting Bagno Vignoni and Pienza. Montalcino, home to Brunnello is also worth the visit.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

buongiorno/Julie, I agree with Pisa, but it's the only thing on this trip that my wife has requested. She's leaving the rest of the itinerary/planning to me, including all the wine with dinner/wine tasting (she's not a wineaux like me). I figure for all her patience with me, I could honor this one request.

I've been to Pisa years ago, and seeing that my wife is afraid of heights and climbing up all those stairs, it will be just a "drive by shooting" on the way to Lucca.

I was thinking 4-5 hours in Lucca, including lunch. I would hate to drive all the way back to Montepulciano, then back up to Florence the next day. What do you think?

Dick/cece - Thanks for the links and recommendations. I'll add them to my list.
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

Looking for more comments/places to stay in Florence. I'll have a rental car -- should I stay somewhere on the outskirts and taxi/bus into town?
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 02:42 PM

You will be going to Florence that day so you can spend the next day there?

If so, it sounds like a good idea, just be sure you get into Florence after rush hour and park underneath the train station overnight and walk to a nearby hotel. I did this when I was staying outside of San Gim one year and it worked out fine.

Don't skip Pisa if your wife wants to see it ! My whole family wanted to see it, it is something you hear about your whole life so it was a must do for us.

Dont even think about staying outside of Florence, it is too much of a hassle when you can park so easily under the station.
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

Yes, my plan would be to get to Florence about 5-6pm, check into some place (looking for ideas/suggestions), and spending the next day in Florence -- 6pm heading back to Montepulciano for dinner? Will that work?

Parking? How much will 24 hour parking cost underneath the train station?
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 03:00 PM

Sorry, I can't remember the price of parking, but it wasn't very much, we were really budgeting at the time.

When you chose an hotel they might tell you of parking close by them or they might have parking.

We walked from the train station to Fenice Palace, which we liked and it was within our budget and it is near to all the sights.

Old Jun 25th, 2004, 03:01 PM

Oh and I think just leave Florence after an early dinner and take your time getting home.
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

B&B/hotel recommendations for Florence welcomed.
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 08:38 PM

Morandi alla Crocetta - a couple of blocks from the Duomo, very nice, "moderate" price given the exchange rate and the fact that it's Florence. Website at www.hotelmorandi.it.
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 09:34 PM

Budman, if you don't want to pay for parking in Florence, you can park for free up at Piazzale Michaelangelo. Depending on what you are carrying, you could walk down into town (about 20 minutes) or take a taxi.

After 2 years of daytripping into Florence from about 45 minutes away, I decided it was a lousy way to see the city. So I highly recommend spending the night. Take a stroll after dinner and see the Duomo without hordes of tourists.
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Marilyn, I think spending the night is the way to go, as well as your parking recommendation. I'll probably only have small carry-on type bag.

I'm looking for a place for around 100 Euro. Is that feasible?
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 05:41 AM

I would try and avoid driving into Florence at 5-6pm during week days. Personally, as much as I enjoy the freedom of driving,I would not drive in Florence at all.
I'd arrive a little earlier in Florence , get checked in and start walking. You can get in a couple museums and be able to enjoy Florence at night.
The next day you can get to Lucca at lunch, see Pisa and head straight back with plenty of time to have a nice dinner back in your home base area.

I think you will probably need to spend a bit more than 100E in Florence.
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 05:46 AM

Hi Budman,

Instead of a "drive by shooting" for Pisa, stop and enjoy the Baptistry and Duomo. The tower itself is worth a few photo opps, but I did enjoy the other two.

Monica
http://www.luvtotravel.homestead.com/home.html
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 06:06 AM

We stayed at Hotel Casci a few years ago. Great location, very reasonable rates and wonderful owners. We didn't have a car but the website says that parking is close by.
http://www.hotelcasci.com/