Search

Peloponnese Help

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2005, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peloponnese Help

Hello all -

We'll be in Greece for 2 weeks in mid to late September and will be spending 4 days on the eastern side of the Peloponnese. The current plan is to spend 1 night in Monemvasia and 2 nights in Nafplion, using the latter as a base for day trips to Mystras and Epivadrous as we'll have a car.

We're currently booked at the Amphitryon in Nafplion - if anyone has stayed there, do you think it's worth the cost? 225 euro per night. We're honeymooning and don't mind spending for something really nice, but don't want to feel we've over-paid if there are other nice options for much less.

Any must-sees in the area that we're missing?

Finally, any good hotel recommendations in Monemvasia?

Many thanks for all your help!
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 02:21 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Are you planning to visit Mycenae on one of your day trips? I found it extremely evocative, picturing Agamemnon returning home from the Trojan War to be murdered by his wife and her lover.
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 02:33 PM

We stayed in Monemvasia about 9 years ago. Can't remember the name of the hotel but it was at the very end of the main street. Not luxurious... but very interesting. Stone construction, shutters, rustic but charming interiors. At the time it was considered the best hotel there. It was especially intriguing at night when we sat out on a terrace watching the stars in a perfect sky with only a little music in the background (and vino... I'm sure.)
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 04:20 PM

Hi,
I do not know the Amphitryon, but I did a google search and it looks like a luxury hotel for Greece and therefore the price is probably OK. Momevasia is a wonderful walled in town. I would suggest that you should stay inside the walled in town and not on the main land. We stayed at the Ardamis and I think their web site is www.ardamis.gr It is a lovely hotel and was once an old building for something that I no longer remember. The other nice hotel in Momevasia is the Byzantino Medotel. I do not have a web site for that, but do a google search. We were there about 4 years ago and it was wonderful, except when my husband got hit by a car in the parking lot outside of the city walls. But that's another story.
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 06:14 PM

I think the Byzantino Medhotel was probably where we stayed. (We had no reservations.. it was off season and we were lucky to get a room) As I recall it was called something else back then... but the descriptions seeems to match.
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the suggestions - much appreciated! We'll be spending 3 weeks in Greece split between the northern mainland, Santorini, Eastern Peloponnese and Crete. Can't wait to write a trip report when we return!
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 06:42 AM

You're going to adore Napflion! It feels like Italy. I just spent a few days there. Don't miss climbing up the 999 steps to the top of the Fortress (but do it in the morning).

Because all the sites are so close, it's easy to include Mycenea and Ancient Corinth in your agenda. You might also have dinner one night in Tolo - it's 9km from Napflion and is pretty happening at night.

If you have time, head over to Olympia.