Search

Pedro Larumba & Other Don't Miss Restaurants in Madrid

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2004, 02:20 AM
CFW
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pedro Larumba & Other Don't Miss Restaurants in Madrid

What are your don't miss restaurants in Madrid? Not fancy or expensive. Atmosphere is nice, but good food is more important. (And how much can we expect to pay for dinner for two?) Any opinions on Pedro Larumba?
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 04:45 PM
CFW
Original Poster

Haven't any Fodorites eaten at this restaurant in Madrid? It's in Fodor's list of restaurants in the website(with no reviews) and also Frommer's. Sounded good, but I wanted to hear from someone who has actually eaten there.
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 04:33 AM

Hi CFW,

Yes, I have eaten in Madrid (last month, as a matter of fact).

You can read my trip report by clicking on my name. The tread is called "Spain Trip Report - Kaudrey Returns)".

I didn't answer earlier because to me, there really is no such thing as a "don't miss" restaurant. I like having recommendations, but there are so many restaurants in Madrid, and I never feel like I HAVE to go to a certain one.

Having said that, I did go to Botin, which is the oldest restaurant in the world. The food was excellent, my dinner, including sangria and tip, was about 40 euros, I think. It was kind of a splurge for me, as I was generally going moderate/inexpensive in terms of eating while I was there.

Never heard of or saw Pedro Larumba, so it was definitely not "don't miss" to me!

Karen
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 05:14 AM
Singletail

I have to agree with Kaudrey on this one. Those "restaurant recommendations" in Fodors and other guidebooks are in there because those establishments pay to get in there and reviewed.
My own recs for Madrid would be any place that has pleasant surroundings and where I can eat outside (in the warmer months) and the menu looks inviting.
Written "recommendations" are fine but, like the passed-on ones here, they are subject to the tastes of the reviewer/recommender. For example, I will NEVER like sushi or drink beer no matter WHO recommends it.
Enjoy being adventurous in Madrid.

Old Mar 26th, 2004, 06:50 AM
car

CFW
The name of the restaurant is Pedro Larumbe and you can check it in
www.larumbe.com
It is located in Serrano 61 in a former newspaper site. Converted now into a good quality mall.
The restaurant is on the top floor and ocupies the former offices of the top managment in the newspaper ABC.
The building in this part has been restore and keeps the XIX century palace style. Andalusian in this case.
Pedro Larumbe cooks modern vasque style in the line of Aznak.
It offers good quality on the relatively expensive side and attracts yuppies with companies paying for bills.
The terrace in the summer nights is pretty nice. Price 40-50€ p/p if you behave with the wine list.
I will personaly rate it a 7/10
Pedro Larumbe has two different areas, the formal restaurant and a lets call salad bar or light lunch area, that is very convinient if you are shopping in that part of town it will also allow you to have a look at the restaurant and decide wheter you like it for dinner or not.
Now regarding "don't miss places"
Madrid is too big and there so many different places that I do not know what to answer.
In a similar quality of Pedro Larumbe I find more cosy "La Paloma" in Calle Jorge Juan.
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 05:36 PM
CFW
Original Poster

Car, Thanks. There are just so many delicious sounding retaurants in Madrid, it's hard to know what to choose!