Search

Peak Season

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2005, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peak Season

When does the peak Summer season start in Italy? If we depart on May 20th are we beating the peak season before the rates go up?

Thank you!
Old May 3rd, 2005, 05:09 PM

Have you compared prices before and after May 20?
There isn't any official designation for peak season, it's just what the traffic will bear. Generally speaking the highest rates are in effect May through October. Real rate cuts don't usually kick in until late October or November 1.
There may be some peaks and valleys within that time period, even in August there are sometimes bargains. Someone in European tourism recently told me that, contrary to popular opinion, tourism is at its highest in May, June, and September, July and August not as crowded.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 05:30 PM
rex

Airfare - - which might be 15-40% of the cost of your entire trip (or a higher percentage if you are going to visit and stay with family, for example) is usually the only thing that vaires much with season. A few hotels do have a "low season", most often in the dead of winter, but even that isn't commonplace.

Are you talking about May 20, 200<i><b>5</b></i>? If so, then your chances of finding a bargain airfare are slim in the next 48 hours, and only get worse after that. The best fares will most often be sold 6-30 weeks in advance, except in the most off-peak months (and even then, usually at least three weeks in advance, but not always).

Best wishes,

Rex

Old May 3rd, 2005, 06:05 PM
Original Poster

I should have said that we're thinking of planning a trip after May 20th 2006. We're also going to try to use our frequent flyer miles, so the airfare will be covered. It sounds like the major variable cost is the airfare. How about the lodging?
Thank you,
Old May 3rd, 2005, 06:10 PM

Hi

Yes May 20 and after to end September/ early October is high season. Nice time to go though with crowds not yet peaking.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 08:39 PM
rex

As you've probably already learned, May 20 is already &quot;high season&quot;, as far as the number of FF miles you have to cash in for the award seats.

&lt;&lt;How about the lodging?&gt;&gt;

Is this a question? What about it? The rates will likely be &quot;full fare&quot; - - but as I suggested, many places only have one rate all year round.

But then again, special promotional rates DO exist here and there. The website www.venere.com is a good a source as any to find those (though it is more or less a hunt and peck process to find special promotional rates) - - but it's still a good place to browse for hotels, and get a good sense of what hotels are in what location at what price with what features.

How long a trip are you contemplating, and to what locations in Italy? &quot;Self-catering accommodations&quot; (villa, apartment, house - - i.e., non-&quot;hotel&quotcan be an excellent choice for stays of 7 days in one place, and sometimes fewer.