Search

PayPal is danderous

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2006, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PayPal is danderous

I am not the brightest bulb in the chandelier
and gave personal info to them as requested in their email. Turns out the email wasnt from them afterall. It had the paypal logo and looked right. They just told me that their is nothing they can do about it. I will have to close down my account and open a new one now.
Just thought I would save someone else this problem...
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 10:48 AM

It's called phishing. Don't EVER EVER give any financial information requested by e-mail.

I'm sorry that happened. Please don't beat yourself up too badly - you are only human after all. They say you learn something new every day, and, oh boy, you got a doozy.

I get those fake emails often, I never open up something that comes, supposedly, from PayPal. Next time delete it and then open your paypal account and see if they have a note for you. Also you can send the fake note to paypal for them to see.
Sorry this happened to you, I am the suspicious type so I deleted it.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 10:49 AM

JandaO, sorry for the hassle! I've received those "verify" e-mails from just about everyone under the sun, including what the e-mail said, was my bank and I delete all of them!!! I've been told and have heard for some time now not to answer those type of e-mails, regardless of how official they look! If someone wants to verify info, they will have to do so in writing!
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 10:49 AM

I got one of those emails, and I didn't "fall for it" but I did forward it to Pay Pal as they say to do. They shut down my account and 7 weeks later, I still can't get into it!!!
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 10:53 AM

JandaO, one other thing...if you DID by change give out any type of financial info I'd suggest you put a fraud alert on your bank account and notify any credit card companies. Also, you may want to take a look at your credit report over the next few months just to make sure nothing mysterious is going on without your knowing about it. Not to be an alarmist, but an ounce of prevention......
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 10:56 AM

PayPal is dangerous for other reasons: if they screw up, you have no recourse. They took $475 from me and gave it to someone who had been defrauded by <i>someone else</i>, and I have no way of recovering it.

I no longer use PayPal.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 10:57 AM

I have read warnings that emails are being sent out that look like messages from the IRS, but are not of course.

JandaO, thanks for posting your experience as that will remind others to never respond to an email asking for personal information no matter how &quot;authentic&quot; it seems.

csroe, has some good advice that I would follow if I were you. Best wishes.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 11:09 AM

This is a problem and the reason why I never use Paypal, however if you are in any doubt about a suspicious mail send it to Paypal at [email protected]

They will identify it as false or real within just a few hours.

However the general rule is DO NOT EVER send your information in response to any mail from ANYONE.

Muck
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 11:09 AM

FYI, some amazon.com lookalike phishes have been going out lately. I got one of those.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 11:14 AM

It's not just PayPal, I get phoney emails proporting to be from various banks, credit card companies, etc.

Actually PayPal is one of the easiet to verify as all mail from paypal is addressed with your name, NOT payPal customer. Any mail from paypal that doesn't open with Dear Jody d&gt;&gt;&gt; is a fake and should be sent totheir abuse department.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

I have transfered all my funds to an account I didnt give them info on. Tomorrow I am going to the bank and close this account.
I will call Mastercard with the fraud alert.
Thanks for your support. I will NEVER do this again...
God I need a vacation !!!
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 11:19 AM

It's really very simple - don't tell anybody anything. (If someone called you on the phone and asked for personal info would you give it? Of course not! Why is the computer any different?)

When you get a phishing email representing any company just send it to them with a note. Then immediately go to the real web site and change your secret code (which you should do every 6 months anyway if the site involves money in any way).

And - if you have given financial info to ANYONE - immediately call all your banks and credit cards and tell them - so they can remove any bogus charges and assign you new account numbers/send new cards. (There's no reason they can't do this in a day or two. If they don;t cooperate change companies.)

Robespierre - have you taken them to small claims court? You'll win since they won;t bother to show up.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 11:21 AM

Janda, sorry it happened to you, and thank you for warning!

Often I see e-mails &quot;from&quot; banks I don't have an account with, websites like Amazon even if I don't have an account with them, all kind of scams.

Unless it's a monthly statement, nobody sends e-mails, they call you during work hours. If in doubt, don't reply to an e-mail, pick up the phone!

The same with phone calls. Ask why they call, hang up, and call not the number they gave you, but the 800 number on your card.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 11:24 AM

jody, if it <i>doesn't</i> have your name on it, it definitely <u>isn't</u> from PayPal.

But if it <i>does</i> have your name on, that doesn't prove that it <u>is</u>.

The rules are simple: <b>don't respond to emails by giving personal information</b>. Period. Log in through the company's &quot;front door&quot; site with the URL that starts with https://

And while we're on the subject: <b>don't open an email attachment unless you're expecting it</b> - even if the return address is someone you know. Period.

Turn off &quot;automatically download images&quot; in your email client (spammers use them to confirm your address is good).
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 11:29 AM

A good website to refer to often to see what scams are going on on the internet is www.symantec.com

Just check in once a week to stay current on the myriad ways you might be conned...
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 11:32 AM

Hi NYTraveler, the way I read your post it appears as though you are suggesting to send a note to whomever sent the phishing email but I am sure you meant to forward the phishing email on to the company the phishing email is pretending to represent. Just posting in case someone else misunderstood as one should never respond to a phishing email as it then verifies your email address is indeed valid.

JandaO, don't mentally beat yourself up. I was real smart, NOT, about a year ago when I stupidly laid my creditcard down on the counter at the supermarket so I could sign the creditcard receipt. In two seconds my creditcard was gone. I am almost 100% sure the guilty party was the cashier and not the customer behind me. I insisted the Mgr be called over. The cashier was acting very strange. I never saw her at the store again, assume she was fired. And of course I had to call my CC Co etc., close the account, get a new one. No matter how diligent we are most of us err once in awhile.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 11:35 AM

I just got another one today, I always forward them to either [email protected] or [email protected], and they will reply to you that is was indeed fake...
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 11:37 AM

I have recieved these &quot;phishing&quot; e-mails from Paypal, and I don't have an account there. Also from various banks at which I do not have accounts. They look authentic---logo and everything, but the clue is the &quot;link&quot; on which they ask you to click to verify your account information. Don't ever respond to these! You can go to your financial institution's real website and see if they want you to report these frauds. Most of them have given up trying to combat the phishing; there are just too many of them. So be vigilant, and never click on a link in an e-mail that asks you to verify information.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -