passport

Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
passport

we are planning to be in Central Europe via London in May 6 for 30 days, my passport expires in Oct. Do I need to renew for this trip?
Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 05:39 PM

When nonUS travelers are entering the US, the US gov't requires that the passport be valid for 6 months from the planned exit date (date on the tkt). Other countries have similar requirements, but not all. Last year we traveled to Denmark & Germany and our passports expired the day after we were due back - not something I would recommend, but I checked with both embassies and the only requirement was that the passport be valid when we entered the country. You should check with the embassies of the countries you are visiting.
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 09:22 PM

"When nonUS travelers are entering the US, the US gov't requires that the passport be valid for 6 months from the planned exit date "

Not true - at least for nationalities who don't need visas.

For people who don't need a visa, the US has a similar practice to the Britain, though if all you're doing is changing planes in London you don't need to go through UK immigration anyway. If you do go through UK immigration on May 6, non-visa nationals normally get permission to remain till November 6. In your case, that permission will last only till the passport expires.

BUT if you're a visa national (Indian, say), your passport needs 6 months validity after the proposed departure date AND you almost certainly need a visa just to change planes.

There's no such country as Central Europe. There are some countries who require passports to be valid for three or six months after the end of a visit. There's a much longer list of countries that sloppy websites and credulous fools claim have this limit, but actually don't.

As far as I'm aware there's no reliable list on the web. As the previous poster said, you need to check with each country you're visiting.

Note that Schengen membership doesn't directly affect this. Different Schengen countries have differerent rules.
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 09:29 PM

Since this is January, your travel dates are in May, and your passport expired in October.....I'd just go ahead and get a new passport. You'll have to do it anyway, so might as well do it now and end all the worries!
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Grcxx3,

you are right, getting a new one earlier easiest.
Thankyou,everyone.
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 08:22 AM

Nice to be right about something!!!!! With 2 teenagers in the house......I seldom am!!! Thanks!
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 07:30 PM

I sent my U.S. Passport renewal application by express mail on January 5th. I got back my new passport on January 17th, that is a 12 day turn around time without having to pay the expedited processing fee. What a difference one year makes.