Reload this Page >

Seeking Suggestions - Honeymoon Itinerary

Old Jan 11th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi!

I'm looking for some help tweaking the itinerary for my upcoming honeymoon trip this August. Some background info that might be helpful:

- I've been to Italy once (Rome and Venice - loved them both). The other half has never been.
- Interested in mixing big cities with countryside (me) or coastal (him) towns
- Into Rome and out of Venice (or vice versa) open jaw flights from SFO
- Would love to visit wine country
- Young, fairly active travelers. We ended up hitting 7 spots in France on a two week trip in 06 and decided that was way too many. I'd like to keep destinations to max 4.

OK...so here's what I've sketched out so far. Any feedback would be great!

8/11 - Depart SFO
8/12 - Arrive Rome
8/16 - Train to Chiusi to pick up rental car. Drive to Pienza
8/19 - Florence
8/21 - Venice
8/25 - Head for home

I guess what I really can't decide is if Florence really fits, and or if I should drop it and try to add CT. The fiance really would like a coastal type spot (Venice apparently doesn't count), but I'm at a loss for other suggestions.

TIA!
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 09:48 PM

Have you considered the Amalfi coast? We honeymooned there and it was the most perfect trip. Search for Amalfi in the Europe forum and you'll get tons of ideas.

Old Jan 11th, 2008, 11:28 PM

Hi

My wife and I did a trip to Florence and Tuscany last summer and that was great. We started out with 4 days in Florence and then we picked up a rental car and drove to the Chianti district and we used this as a base to see some of the other Tuscan towns. Here is my trip report with pictures http://gardkarlsen.com/florence_italy_travelogue.htm . Happy planning and have a great honeymoon

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 01:54 AM
ira

Hi J,

Very nice plan.

>The fiance really would like a coastal type spot

Well, if you want to keep him happy, train from Rome to La Spezia and spend a couple of nights in the Cinque Terre.

You could then get your car for your time in Pienza, and drop it off in Venice.

Does fiance want to go swimming, lie on the beach or look at coastal scenery?

Old Jan 12th, 2008, 01:55 AM
ira

PS,

I suggest into Venice and out of Rome.

Pick up car in Venice and drop off in La Spezia before taking the train to Rome.

Old Jan 12th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help all! I ran the CT suggestion by the fiance and he seems excited about the hiking prospects and the scenery, so I think I'll modify the itinerary to include that. I also like having Rome at the end - faster paced city when we're the least jet-lagged.

8/11 - Depart SFO
8/12 - Arrive Venice
8/15 - Train to La Spezia to pick up rental car. Drive to TBD location for stay in CT
8/17 - Florence
8/19 - Pienza
8/21 - return car and take train to Rome
8/25 - Head for home

Looking at it written like that though...the itinerary seems a bit crowded; moving every 2 nights (although that is an improvement over every night in France!). Maybe it would be better to add a night each in CT and Pienza and strike Florence from the itinerary altogether. It seems a shame though, as it appears to be right on the way.

Great trip report link btw Gard! Love the pictures, and I've got lots of ideas for places to add.
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 11:54 AM

I suggest visitng the CT and Florence without a rental car. Parking is limited and there will be no need for a car. Pick it up when it's time to explore Tuscany.

I personaly feel you may be traveling too much and not relaxing enough. If it was me, I would-

Fly into Venice

Drive to the Pienza area (extend to a 1 week stay)

Drop off car in Chusi and train to Rome

That's it. 3 locations and a nice, much needed break inbetween the very crowded and hot cities to allow for relaxation and a slower pace.

You can visit the CT on your next trip and schedule it in May, June, September or October when the crowds are not so huge.

Old Jan 12th, 2008, 12:17 PM

I would like to add-

Hiking in the CT in August will be very crowded. You will be following hundreds on the trails.

Staying at an agriturismo in the Val D'Orcia near Pienza (I highly recommend Fonte Bertusi- fontebertusi.it) will be a wonderful base for hiking in one of the most beautiful areas in Italy. There are some great books available focusing on hiking in the area. The best part is that you will be hiking alone, without the crowds. You will also be able to cool off by the pool in the afternoon, much needed in August.
There are many towns to visit within a 10-60 minutes drive. You will have plenty to do and you will be eating outstanding meals.

Old Jan 12th, 2008, 12:24 PM

Yes, tell your fiance that half of Italy will be at the beaches in august. It won't be much fun.
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 12:38 PM
ira

Hi J,

>Train to La Spezia to pick up rental car. Drive to TBD location for stay in CT

No. No. No.

Fly into Venice.
Get car when you leave Venice to visit Tuscany.
Drop car when you get to the CT.

You can't drive on the CT.

Old Jan 12th, 2008, 12:50 PM

I can't speak to the CT as we have not been there. But I'd definitely add more time to Pienza, even at the expense of Florence. We were in Pienza this past summer and we loved the town. We stayed outside the city at Le Traverse a very small B&B. Even though it was VERY hot during the day it was cool at night, we had a pool to cool off in the afternoon and the scenery in the Val D'orcia is specatular.
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Ira - I just read something about no cars at all in CT on another site. Dunno how I missed that!

And thanks to all for the suggestions. Zoecat - your itinerary is much like the one I originally proposed, and then was requested to add "some coast". I think I'll see if we can't renegotiate that request, as I'd really rather not spend all of our time on the road!

Maybe something like the following would work.

8/11 - Depart SFO
8/12 - Arrive Venice
8/15 - Florence
8/17 - Pienza
8/21 - return car and take train to Rome
8/25 - Head for home

Basically just added the CT days to Pienza instead. Just need to work out where to get car, as most of the boards seem to agree that it wouldn't be necessary in Florence.

You guys are great! Thanks much (again) for the help!
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 08:10 PM

I hate to suggest it, but, instead of staying in Venice, you could stay at the Lido, a beach resort in the Venetian lagoon. There's a long beach, mostly private, with a row of hotels opposite. And vaporetto/water taxi access to Venice proper. The reason I hate to suggest it is the Lido has cars and you lose the romance of staying in real, car-less Venice.

I like your latest itinerary. Can I come?
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 06:38 AM

J,

I like how your itinerary is progressing. I'm glad you realized Plan B was too busy. Remember what you said about not "hitting" too many places in 2 weeks?

My one comment would be to add time to your Pienza stay and maybe visit Florence as either a day trip in or for just 1 nt on the way from Venice.

Florence will be incredibly crowded and hot in August.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Original Poster

Update - the flights are booked, and the itinerary (last version) is approved! It took some doing, but I talked the fiance out of the coast in August (although I may need to hunt a nice hotel with a pool in the countryside if possible). I've reserved hotels for Rome and Venice and am now back to combing the boards for the other 2 destinations!

Many thanks again all!