Search

Parking ticket and tow charge just outside Amalfi

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2019, 11:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parking ticket and tow charge just outside Amalfi

Hi all
on holiday we tried to park our hire car in Amalfi but all of the car parks were full. We drove out of Amalfi and went about a mile and a half away up the hill where we came to a wide part of road with no lines at the side and no “no parking” signs so we tucked the car on the side of the road and walked back into Amalfi. Five or ten minutes into the walk a tow truck went past with what looked like our car.
When we walked the 1.5 mile or so back to the car it had gone. We walked back the 1.5 miles back into Amalfi and spoke to a policeman who showed us where the tow man was sitting. He had three cars trapped in the Bay Area and charged us 120 Euros tow charge and we were given a 61 Euro parking fine to pay at a post office (which was tricky to pay).
Is there a way to appeal against this fine please as we took photos of where we had parked and there was nothing to suggest we could not park where we did, thank you.
Old Jun 1st, 2019, 11:52 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Read this (the entire thread) you will see you are not the only one and yes, you were almost certainly parked illegally.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi..._Campania.html
Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 12:23 AM
Original Poster

Thank you I saw that

I would have understood if there was an area marked tow area or residential area and I was in it but there were no signs and no markings on the road
Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 12:30 AM

Every civilized country has an appeal process, so yes, but is your Italian up to it (I suspect not if you had trouble at the Post Office)? Plus, I wouldn't bother; it's likely you violated some rule, or failed to see a posted notice. Tucking a car into a space in a wide part of the road just seems on the face of it to be a bad idea and begging for a fine (not just on the Amalfi, or in Italy, but anywhere in Europe). You can't get away with tucking a car into a wide spot on the road anywhere near where I live in France, and no, there are no signs to indicate you can't do it - it's just assumed that commonsense would kick in and tell you it's a bad idea.
Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 08:15 AM

This is why driving along the Amalfi coast is not recommended. At least in season.
Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 01:35 PM

That's bad driving whether signs are posted or not. I don't think that would be legal in most places. Some things drivers are just supposed to know not to do if they passed a driver's test.

You seriously don't expect any govt to post no parking signs every few feet the entire length of a highway?