Notices

Amalfi or Atrani ?

Old Jan 2nd, 2010, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amalfi or Atrani ?

My husband and I along with another couple will be on the Amalfi Coast in Sept. We are looking at two hotels (inns) one in the town of Amalfi, Hotel Aurora, and the other in the town of Atrani, L'Argine Fiorito. Any preferences to these choices? Love to have your input. We will have a car. Also, another question, we will be driving from Rome and would like to stop in Sorrento. Are we able to continue in the direction we need to get to Amalfi or Atrani? I've heard there's a one-way section but I'm unfamiliar with that.
Old Jan 2nd, 2010, 07:47 AM

Bogger.....Both are great towns, with Amalfi being much bigger of the two towns. Atrani has a beautiful little beach and is much quieter than Amalfi, with Amalfi having more tourists but with more restaurants, shops, and a beautiful Duomo....Amalfi also has a large marina where you can rent boats or take the ferry service to other coastal towns. Both towns offer some great hiking, and you can actually walk from Atrani to Amalfi in about a half hour.

And yes driving from Rome to Sorrento (about three hours) is enroute to either town and is easy to navigate, there are a couple of good size pay parking lots in Sorrento. We usually travel to the Amalfi Coast area in May, but this year we too will be going in September.

Mike
Old Jan 2nd, 2010, 09:08 AM

I agree with Mike. Both are nice. Atrani is quieter and smaller than Amalfi, but Amalfi has more shopping and eating options. They're so close to each other that I wouldn't mind where I stayed if I were to travel there.

You can also hike from Atrani to Ravello. I did this in 2008 leaving from Amalfi (where I was staying) and I enjoyed it very much.
Old Jan 2nd, 2010, 09:28 AM

My only suggestion s to make sure that your hotel either has parking available (very few do) or can make arrangements for you to park somewhere. These towns are very to quite small and have little public parking - so finding a place to put your car can be a challenge. (We have stayed only in a hotel in Sorrento that had private parking.)

And there is no section of the Amalfi drive that is one way - the entire road is two ways. Can't comment on roads up into the hills as we didn't take most of those.
Old Jan 2nd, 2010, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your response. Is there any nightlife in Atrani? We're not looking for nightclubs but some wine, food and maybe music in a little bar. We would love the charm of a small village like Atrani but we plan on parking our car and walking so if we need to walk to Amalfi at night that wouldn't work. Many thanks
Old Jan 2nd, 2010, 02:27 PM

Bogger, I have visited Atrani twice and stayed in Amalfi. Since I did not sleep in Atrani I cannot comment on night life, but Atrani is so small I would doubt there would be much. Even though, as others have pointed out, Amalfi is "much bigger" than Atrani, Amalfi will still feel very small to you - in fact, like a little village, which is what it is. The old core is only a few blocks wide by a few more long, up a narrow valley. For my money you will have a better time, with more choice of things to do and bars/restaurants, in Amalfi than Atrani.
As for your other question, I know of no one-way sections of the coast road, although during busy seasons the local authorities do post traffic wardens with walky-talkies along the road, and they will stop traffic in one direction from time to time when a larger vehicle is coming the other way (only in certain very narrow places). Perhaps that is what you heard about. These wardens are there for your protection and the stoppages never last long.
Old Jan 2nd, 2010, 02:55 PM

According to the most recent available statistics, the population of Amalfi is about 5,500 and that of Atrani just under 1,000.

The Italian Yellow Pages list four restaurants in Atrani and, surprisingly, one wine bar:
http://www.risacca.com/
Old Jan 3rd, 2010, 02:06 AM

If you plan on walking, be aware that it is not really pleasant at night to walk along the Amalfi coast drive, which you would need to do if you wanted to leave Atrani in the evening and walk to the town of Amalfi. The one evening I spent in Atrani was off season, so the town was extremely sleepy -- no nightlife whatsoever.

I think if you want a little nightlife, you are better off staying right in Amalfi.
Old Jan 3rd, 2010, 04:19 AM

Although I stayed in Amalfi on a recent trip to Campania, I did visit Atrani at night, twice, to eat at the excellent A Paranaza. I noticed that there were a few bars around a tiny piazza near the entrance to town and these appeared quite lively on a holiday week in earlyl May.

Between those bars, and the good eating at A Paranza, you could while away many pleasant hours eating and drinking and relaxing in Atrani.

To reach Amalfi from Atrani on foot you have a choice between the coastal road--you have to actually walk in the road andn squeeze yourself against the barrier when cars pass but it is not too terrible. OR, you can walk inland on the stepped, covered walkways that link the two towns. This requires navigating steps but you are out of the traffic.

Both towns have very good beaches, with Atrani's being less crowded.

I, too, would investigate parking before arrival. The hotel we loved, in Amalfi, offered free parking (Hotel Floridiana). Ask the Aurora and the Atrani hotel what you can do with your care during your stay. I imagine you might use it during the day to visit various towns on the coast, but probably will eat locally in the evenings.

Since the two towns are so close, I would choose the better hotel. Be aware, though, as others have mentioned, that there are very few shops in Atrani--it is Amalfi on a very small scale.
Old Jan 3rd, 2010, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

You are such a great source for information. Here's a twist I didn't see coming. My friend has just added the thought that maybe we should be staying in Positano where we can access the ferries etc. We have only three days and nights and our thought was to maybe stay in Sorrento one night and enjoy that town and the great view and then move on. Positano seems to have the water transports for Capri or coastal tours. I liked the coziness of Atrani, so in the end we really want to tour during the day and park the car at sunset. So now adding this possibility....where do we land?
Old Jan 3rd, 2010, 10:33 AM

I much prefer Amalfi to Positano and there are also ferries from Amalfi to Capri. But in the end it depends on your own personal style. Positano is beautiful but filled with flashy shops and many foreign-language speaking tourists. So while it would not be my own choice, there are many who adore the town.

http://www.capri.net/en/ship-timetable
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 07:43 AM

I stayed in Amalfi (actually at a B&B at a 800 step path from Amalfi) and I ferried to Positano and hiked to Ravello via Atrani.

Amalfi is the main hub for ferries although Positano is well serviced as well. I think a better way to describe Amalfi is by saying "less small" than Atrani, because it's small as well. Positano, in my humble opinion, has a more international atmosphere; Amalfi has a more italian feel. Positano does have its charm and I'd even dare to say that it photographs better than Amalfi, but it has a more "see and be seen" feel that I don't quite like very much. I've never been to Sorrento, so I've got nothing to say about it.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd do it exactly the same.
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 07:03 AM

Ah -- so there was another way to walk to Amalfi. Thanks for posting, eks.
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 11:34 AM

Steps: I like your screen name! Prego!
Old Jan 10th, 2010, 01:17 AM

The alernative route to Atrani from Amalfi is along Salita Roberto Guiscardo which is up a flight of steps just past the florists as you leave Amalfi. This route is described in detail in walk 2a in the Sunflower walking guide
Old Jan 10th, 2010, 03:53 AM

Gerardo this is very helpful-thank you for clarifying.
Old Mar 5th, 2010, 01:47 PM

I am trying to decide between Amalfi and Atrani as well. Can someone give me more details about the path between the two? If we choose to stay in Atrani we would want to be able to go back and forth easily for more restaurant/bar choices and to catch the ferry.

I have a disability and stairs and hills are a bit of a challenge for me, they are not impossible by any means but I need to know if there are any very steep sections of the path and approximately how many steps there are, is it several or hundreds?

To navigate steps easily I need either a railing or wall to grab onto, is there a railing?

Another consideration is that we have a one year old and will have his stroller which is not much fun to carry up/down stairs. Again, doable if we're not talking about hundreds of steps.

The attraction to Atrani is that there is a sandy beach right there, is there a sandy beach in Amalfi?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Old May 21st, 2011, 04:57 PM

Does anyone have any advice as to whether it would be better to stay 5 nights in Positano vs 3 nights around Amalfi. Or perhaps, split them equally?
Old May 22nd, 2011, 04:27 AM

It comes down to personal taste. I would suggest doing a search here because the question about which town makes the best base in this area has been asked--and answered--dozens, if not hundreds, of times on this forum.

Here are 6 threads to get you started: there are many more:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-or-amalfi.cfm

http://www.fodors.com/search/results...2F2011&author=

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-or-amalfi.cfm
Old May 22nd, 2011, 04:29 AM

One more:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-questions.cfm