Search

Park in France

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 04:39 AM
DellVecc

Park in France

I was watching a French film and the characters were in a park in Paris called "Belleville Park." I'm looking to go to Paris at some point, and being raised in Belleville, NJ I would like to know if anyone has been there and where it is.<BR><BR>Thanks in advance for your help.

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 05:24 AM
clairobscur

Belleville is a popular neighborhood in the north-eastern part of Paris. It was a former village swallowed by Paris during the XIX° century and kept for a long time the reputation of having a peculiar athmosphere. Later, this district was populated by a lot of immigrants from north africa, and this population, the couccous places, etc...gave it once again a peculiar (but very different) touch. Now, asian people are replacing algerian and tunisian people and it's a mixed and popular district. It's situated at the limit of the 11° and 20° arrondissements.<BR><BR><BR>I was about to say there's no "Belleville Park", but I checked just in case, and indeed there's a little "Parc de Belleville" I was totally unaware of.

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 09:03 AM
DellVecc

Thank you very much. I hope to see it in the near future.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 03:37 AM
Vincent

One of the latest parks in Paris, an unknown little gem (don't repeat it ! ). Belleville is on a hill, so you'll get as good a view over Paris but with the annoying tourists and touts. Have a drink at the top of rue des Envierges and enjoy the scenery.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 08:32 AM
Sue

Looks like metro Pyr&eacute;n&eacute;es, Vincent. Will have to check it out!

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 09:08 AM
Vincent

Yes, should be Pyrenees + a quite a steep hike ! And BTW I forgot to write that I was comparing it to Montmartre of course, but all you dedicated Paris lovers will have understood !

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 09:54 AM
elvira

Sidebar: there is a small vineyard, about 250 square meters, on rue des Couronnes that actually produces wine for sale.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 11:59 AM
clairobscur

Following the first posts, I went to the park today. The closest metro stop seems to be "Couronnes".<BR><BR>It's a little park, indeed pleasant, though the roses were living their last moments. Since it's on a hill top , it's not leveled, something I appreciate (I don't like the flat, well tended parks like for instance the Tuileries). It's home of the "house of the air" which seems to be a permanent exhibition about air, pollution, athmosphere, etc... but was closed today. I was very surprised to find a little wineyard. The grapes seemed to be almost ripe. On the overall quite pleasant but nothing outstanding.<BR><BR>Unfortunately the park is situated in a part of Belleville which has been rebuild (I would guess in the 60s-70s) hence is surrounded by modern buildings, which doesn't make it very appealing. However, from the street above the park, there's indeed a really remarkable view over Paris and beyond, as mentionned by Vincent. Unfortunately, the pollution was obvious today, and blurred the view. Still, I was very surprised.<BR><BR>On the overall, it's certainly a pleasant place to go on for people living in the neighborhood, but I can't think of any reason why a tourist would want to go there. Except for the view, but there are other places in Paris with a great view and which are much more interesting in themselves (the most obvious being the Sacre-Coeur).<BR><BR>Nevertheless, thank you to the posters who mentionned this park, I'm happy to have discovered it.