Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris with Toddler - Please help me choose the best arrondissement for sightseeing!

View Poll Results: Which Arrondissement
Citadines Les Halles Paris - 1arr.
25.00%
Citadines Opéra Paris - 2nd arr.
25.00%
Résidence & Spa Le Prince Régent - 6th arr.
25.00%
Citadines Saint-Germain-des-Prés Paris - 6th arr.
25.00%
Citadines Montmartre Paris - 18th arr.
0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Paris with Toddler - Please help me choose the best arrondissement for sightseeing!

Old Jul 29th, 2018, 12:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After a fortunate turn of events, my husband WILL be able to join me and our toddler on our one week adventure in Paris this October! I reserved five apartment-style hotels to lock down the price and would appreciate your input on which one to keep. We want to visit the Louvre, have a picnic near the Eiffel Tower, Luxembourg Gardens, Sacre Coeur, eat delicious French desserts and cheeses, take a boat ride around the Seine and take a day trip to Versailles. We want to make this trip as easy on ourselves as possible. We are looking for a hotel that will be a good base to visit the places previously listed, is close to a grocery store, easy to stroll around with a toddler and requires the least amount of shlepping to get from one place to another.

The Citadines in Saint Germaine is $1000 more expensive (1 week) than the Citadines in Montmarte. Is it worth it??

Options:

1Citadines Montmartre Paris
16 Avenue Rachel, 18th arr., 75018 Paris, France
$1163 (1 week)

2) Citadines Les Halles Paris
4 Rue Des Innocents, 1st arr., 75001 Paris, France
$1643

3) Citadines Opéra Paris
18, Rue Favart, 2nd arr., 75002 Paris, France
$2014

4) Résidence & Spa Le Prince Régent
28 Rue Monsieur Le Prince, 6th arr., 75006 Paris, France
$2077

5)Citadines Saint-Germain-des-Prés Paris
53 Ter, Quai des Grands Augustins, 6th arr., 75006 Paris, France
$2168

Thank you for your input!

Last edited by moderator8; Jul 29th, 2018 at 09:23 AM. Reason: delete booking details
Old Jul 29th, 2018, 12:21 AM

Hi CaliforniaMama,

I've looked at the Citadines Les Halles before for my own trips (though haven't stayed there yet). I like staying in/near the Marais, and I like the views from the rooms.

Nowhere is convenient for all your wishes, so being nearby a metro station or a few bus lines can be important. While Montmartre has good transport links, you'll have to add 10 or 15 minutes to your transport time going out and coming home. Only you know if that will/won't be a consideration.

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old Jul 29th, 2018, 07:44 AM

Paris has a wonderful transport system, but with a toddler I would concentrate having a hotel close to a bus stop, rather than a Metro. The unending stairs and long walks changing between Metro lines can be a nightmare with a toddler. Buses are much more toddler friendly. Another thing you might want to reconsider is your trip to Versailles. The crushing crowds inside the buildings can make the experience very unpleasant for kids, and the long walks in the gardens a strain on the parents, IME.
Old Jul 29th, 2018, 08:57 AM

Clicking on your links displays your actual bookings with confirmation numbers, pin codes, etc. Probably not what you intended to do.
Old Jul 29th, 2018, 09:12 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
The best arrondissement with a toddler -- assuming that you would be abandoning your own desires -- would be the 19th arrondissement, with the Parc de la Villette, the Cité des Sciences, the canal de l'Ourcq, the Butte Chaumont, the Géode, the Vill'Up entertainment zone and the joys of the T3b tram line. In that case, you would want to stay at the Adagio Paris Villette or the HiPark Adagio at Porte de Pantin.

Last edited by moderator8; Jul 29th, 2018 at 10:21 AM. Reason: delete rude comment
Old Jul 29th, 2018, 09:24 AM
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by MaineGG View Post
Clicking on your links displays your actual bookings with confirmation numbers, pin codes, etc. Probably not what you intended to do.
Fixed
Old Jul 29th, 2018, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Oh, dear, MaineGG! That was my nightmare realized. Thank you for pointing that out!

Last edited by CaliforniaMama; Jul 29th, 2018 at 09:56 AM.
Old Jul 29th, 2018, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, mod.
Old Jul 29th, 2018, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the tips, Swandav2000! I will look into the Marais district.
Old Jul 29th, 2018, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your input on the public transportation system and Versailles, nukesafe! I will consider the nearest bus stop from the hotel.

Are Ubers or its equivalent popular in Paris?
Old Jul 29th, 2018, 10:48 AM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
For your boat ride on the Seine, I recommend the low-cost Batobus. It's a hop-on-hop-off boat that goes by all the major tourist attractions in Paris.
It was great for our family, especially one rainy day when we wanted to just sit down in a dry spot, and watch the city glide by.
It stops running at night around 9pm, I think, so you need to plan accordingly.
Old Jul 29th, 2018, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the wonderful tip, MoBro! It's good to know that this is an option, especially on a rainy day. I will definitely look into it!
Old Jul 29th, 2018, 10:56 AM

I don't consider the Batobus to be low-cost or even all that convenient. And it certainly isn't a nice boat tour on the Seine - it's a water taxi that takes you to places you can easily walk to without waiting in line at a dock.

The Marais is popular, but expensive and overrun with tourists these days IME. The 19th, as kerouac says, is very affordable and has lots of great places for toddlers to muck about.
Old Jul 29th, 2018, 11:18 AM

I do believe that the mention of the Marais above was in reference to its proximity to the Citadines Les Halles, not as a suggestion for a place to stay. But, I could be wrong.
My suggestion is to check for nearby bus stops. Each hotel will probably list or provide them for you, or try an online transport map.

I generally find that most people here recommend the Vedettes Pont Neuf for a boat ride. Perhaps they still have online coupons.
Old Jul 29th, 2018, 11:33 AM

Yes, they do.
Old Jul 29th, 2018, 11:44 AM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
I think 'cost' and 'convenience' and 'boat tour' are relative terms. If your baby is under 3 years old, the Batobus is free. If ages 3 - 15, it's 8 EU for a one-day pass. Adults are 17 EU for a one-day pass. Two-day passes are just slightly more expensive.

We used it as a way to easily get from place to place, and a way to sit down for a minute or two, protected from rain. Also, a way to see the city from the Seine after dark, without buying a dinner onboard. We rode the entire circuit a couple of times.

If you want hop-on-hop-off, I recommend it over a bus.
Old Jul 30th, 2018, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the helpful advice! Does anyone have any thoughts on staying in Montmartre?
Old Jul 30th, 2018, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

I am between 2 hotels in the 6th arr.: One in St. Germaine by the Seine and a newer one that is close to Odeon Metro and closer to the Luxembourg Gardens. Thoughts?
Old Jul 30th, 2018, 04:39 PM

I think you probably already realize that the needs of your child will trump your own wishes. So I think the area between Luxembourg Gardens and the Jardin des Plantes is a good choice. Both parks are fun for kids and you are still close to many "standard" tourist sights. We were with our 2-year-old son (and his parents) two years ago, and the Seine boat ride was of little interest to him...though we can only speak for our own experience.

ssander
Old Jul 31st, 2018, 06:59 AM

With a toddler we stayed in a 4 stars close to (in front of actually) Arc de Triomphe, since we asked for a relatively big room and had our toddler sleep in a foldable bed that we had with us.
It was about 200 e per night some years back. Hotel was the Splendid - still is in that range of price.
We went at Citadine Chatelet some years ago, kids older, and were not satisfied by the quality of the second bed that was a 'clic clac' some sofa that opens and unfolds.
Lately we selected one apart/hotel in the 18e which was super great for us, but our kids are nearly adults by now.
For us, Chatelet is too touristy and not so nice (a little gritty actually because of the big RER station), 2e is also too touristy for us and 6th is a nogo zone, only patrolled by US tourists ;-) so for us 18e is much like the real Paris, with Parisians, not just tourists.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information