Parisianflat apartment locations

Sep 10th, 2005, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Parisianflat apartment locations

My husband and I are taking our mothers to Paris next May. The two of us rented an apartment the last time we were there and we really enjoyed it. Since this may possibly be the only time our moms visit Paris (especially his mom, who has never been out of the country) we are planning on splurging (for us anyway) on a nice place. Two we are considering are from parisianflat.com: one on Rue Gay Lussac near Luxembourg Gardens and the other on Rue de Villersexel near the Musee d'Orsay. Can anyone give an opinion about the locations? I'm leaning closer to the Gay Lussac, but I'm unsure.
Sep 10th, 2005, 04:19 PM
jgg

We have booked the apartment on Rue de Villersexel for this March! I asked the same question, and received positive remarks about the location near the Musee D'Orsay. I also had a brief e-mail correspondence with someone who stayed in that exact apartment last March. I can forward it to you if you are interested. Just e-mail me at [email protected]
Sep 10th, 2005, 04:42 PM

I stayed at a hotel located on rue de l'Abbe de l'Epee. The street was at an angle to rue Gay Lussac. I'd say that the rue Gay Lussac is a little bit busy. However, the location is convenient. As your post indicates the apartment will be close to the Luxembourg Gardens. It'll be close to the Blvd. St. Michel as well. The area near the Musee d' Orsay is quite different, more quiet.
Sep 10th, 2005, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

jgg-the Villersexel apartment is probably my favorite. It is gorgeous! Love the kitchen. I'm sure you'll have a great time. I guess my main worry in picking a location, besides convenience to sights, is that the area has some liveliness in the evening. I don't want it to be completely dead at night. Also, shops, places to buy produce, breads for the apartment, etc. I guess that's why I'm leaning towards Gay Lussac, since it's not far from Rue Mouffetard. Blvd St Michel is nearby as well. Am I wrong in making these assumptions? I've walked through this area before, but I'm having a hard time remembering the particulars.
Sep 10th, 2005, 07:07 PM

I think they both would be fine, but it really depends where on Guy Lussac. I don't think there are any large supermarket-type grocery stores in that area, for one thing (although certainly some corner small grocery stores, if that's all you want). It also wouldn't be that close to a metro stop, especially if it's near rue Claude Bernard. I wouldn't call it that close to rue Mouffetard that you are just a short walk away and can pop back and forth from shopping.
Sep 10th, 2005, 09:51 PM

We have stayed at a wonderful apartment at the end of the Mouffetard - It is completely remodeled with two fabulous bathrooms, two bedrooms - one is fairly large with twin beds that can be moved away from each other - great kitchen and living room and many amenities such as phone and cell phone. There is a supermarket a couple of doors away and plenty of activity and business - yet it is slightly away from the heart of the touristy stuff. www.lacigaleparis.com
Jan 6th, 2006, 12:47 PM

cabovaction:
If you are still on here, can you confirm the address of that apartment? Is it 81, Boulevard Saint Marcel? Thanks.
Jan 6th, 2006, 02:52 PM

I do not know the appts but I do know the neighborhood near rue Villersel very well and am familiar with rue Gay Lussac. I much prefer the neighboorhood near rue V..Why? because it is a neighborhood and not a tourist destination. I love walking down the rue du Bac. You are near rue Grenelle which has lovely little shops. This neighborhood is not dead at night though not the street trafic of the 5th. Less touristy. close walk to Les Invalides, the Orsay and a pleasant walk to the Rodin.
Jan 7th, 2006, 09:03 AM
jgg

travelbunny - Thank you so much for your comments about Rue de villersexel. We will be staying in the apartment on that street in March, and was just a bit concerned that there wouldn't be anything near the apartment. You have made me feel better about it. Any favorite patisseries nearby for breakfast munchies, or cafes for dinner near the apartment?
Jan 7th, 2006, 10:01 AM

..I hope you like the neighborhood..let me know. I actually lived on a very small street near rue du Bac and did so a number of years ago...but there is a great cheese shop on rue du Bac (or at least there was..I can't remember its name but could prob. find it blind folded. There is a Nicholas just off rue du Bac (the Nicholas stores are a chain of wine stores). There is a restrauant that I would go to on special occasions which was literally in sight round the corner from my appt..it ws Ferme Saint Simon..the food used to be quite good..expensive though there was a fairly reasonable "menu". The is a resto which might be fun to go to for LUNCH..The many of France's senior civil servants seem to go there and it is not touristy..rest. des Ministeres..hope this helps..
Jan 7th, 2006, 12:57 PM
jgg

Thanks travelbunny - I will keep those tips in mind!