Search

Parisian Strolls: La Villette

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parisian Strolls: La Villette

A STROLL THRU LA VILLETTE
Off the beaten path for the average tourist, Paris' La Villette park area makes for a swell walk.

The site of former abbatoirs, the La Villette area was redeveloped under Mitterand's Grandes Projects i believe into a vast park dotted with interesting 'Follies,' or whimsical structures. The old slaughterhouses were converted to more palatable uses - such as a conference center.

The showpiece of La Villette today is the Cite des Sciences et Industries, showcasing the best of French science and technology though oriented to school-age kids - a veritable hands-on museum.

There is also on the site Zenith, a popular concert hall for music popular with youth and the Cite of Music, devoted to the study of music of course.

But whether you go into any of these novel-looking buildings or not, a stroll thru this area is nice - not just for the large novel park but because two of Paris' old canals flow thru the park - the Canal de l'Ourcq and the Canal de Saint Denis, which intersect in the park.

TBC
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 07:54 AM

Bob,
Thanks! I don't know much about this area, but have always been intrigued by it since I saw it on a webcam a few years ago -- now defunct, I think. How did you get there? Metro or bus?

Sandy
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 07:58 AM

Metro line 7: Porte de la Villette

Bus 75
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Or, in season, by boat on the canal from Porte de Plaisance de Paris-Arsenal i believe - this is where the Canal Saint Martin meets the Seine at sluice gates.
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 08:21 AM

Did you copy that from somewhere? I just wondered because I don't think the info is very good and if that is some tourism company or guide you are using, I wouldn't use it much. Basically, the name of the one place cited is Cite de la Musique (and I hate mixing French words with English, is it too much trouble to write the correct name? ) However, my main problem with that description is that it is not merely for the study of music, although there is that going on out there (some classes, etc.). It happens to contain a superb music museum, one of the best in Europe, which you did not even mention, and concerts also take place out there, including special ones for children.
http://www.cite-musique.fr/

I suppose it's a matter of opinion whether a science and industry museum is the showpiece of the complex, also. It is not to me, for example. Also, as long as you are educating people about this area, I would think there are some major things going on out there that would be of value to mention -- such as the yearly Jazz Festival, and the free outdoor cinema they have in the summer.
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the nice comments Christina!
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 08:28 AM

Christine, you are one frank woman - correct and right to the point!
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

The point is i'm describing a nice walk i took last December and that's it - i have written a very detailed article on this area in the past in my former life and know everything Christina has added and probably a whole lot more - frank is nice rude is not.
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 09:38 AM

PalenqueBob,
Thank you for taking the time to post this!
I, for one, found it very interesting and informative. I would love to take a similar walk some day, and I wasn't aware of the history of the area.

Please don't let some people's "bluntness" discourage you from sharing information with the rest of us!
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 09:46 AM

Bob, you post lots of good stuff here. Everybody has a little different slant on a place, and that's what keeps the forum so fresh and interesting.
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 06:41 AM

Patrick & Bob,
Thanks for the information on transportation to La Villette! I'll add that to my notes for our trip to Paris!

Sandy
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 06:51 AM

Poor Pal! Last time you (and me) were blamed for writing French here and now it is because of English writing.
Repeat after me now : Cité de la Musique! :-B
Anyway thanks for reminding me this is my next destination when I go to Paris with my kids, they'll love it!
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Oui ils aimeront je pense et il y a des annees quand je y'ai pris Sylvain a age 11 il est aimee beaucoup - il peut monter et grimper les follies - veritable jeu d'enfants. Et les chose de Sciences - ils one aimeront aussi parce que il y a beaucoup des 'hands-on' (??mains-sur?) choses la.

About the Cite de la Musique - it was a bit controversial i believe under Mitterand's original projects, including the Bastille Opera, which was called the Peoples' Opera as opposed to the snooty Paris Opera - music more for the masses, which the Cite de la Musique was also supposed to represent as well as the Zenith concert hall. Some tipped noses didn't care for that concept a'tall.

Oh well since i heard Trader Joe's has $2.99 bottles of Beaufolais Nouveau in stock i'm headed down to my local TJ to snag some!
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 04:25 PM
oaklandlady

We enjoyed the boat trip on the Canal St. Denis, and when we debarked at the Parc de la Villette, took the 75 bus back to central Paris. What an interesting ride that is, through the outer districts and past the amazing Parc Butte Chaumont, which was built like Central Park to look wild and scenic. We didn't have time to visit it, but will do so when we visit Paris again next year. Thanks to the Carte Orange, we got to see Paris on the bus when traveling. The Metro is fast, but you miss a lot.

Old Nov 27th, 2006, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

A nice way to get to La Villette by foot is to walk along the Canal St Martin, all the way from the Place de la Republique - a bike and walking path have been made along much of the course and this is now a popular strolling place for locals.

Along the way you see some old warehouses and still not too spiffy areas but you also see the ubiquitous old frumpy anglers - inevitably i t seems clad in the de rigeuer fisherman's garb of bleu de travail (blue work overhalls) with a black or blue cascette or beret and a yellow cigarette dangling from their mouth - seemingly never catching a thing but angling all the same.

It's perhaps 2-3 miles all told from Republique to La Villette. Again in season tourist boats go this route as well.
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

BUTTES-CHAUMONT PARK
Oaklandlady mentions passing the Buttes-Chaumont park coming back from La Villette by bus...and this fascinating park can easily be incorporated into a visit to nearby La Villette.
En route by foot to La Villette, i first went thru the Buttes Chaumont park before hiking to La Villette, less than a mile away.

Once a quarter of garbage dumps and old quarries surrounded by slums, Baron Haussmann orchestrated a rehab of the area that has resulted today in one of Paris' most inviting and unique parks.

The Baron fashioned out of the old quarries a lake, fed by the Canal St Martin, and out of part natural and part artificially placed boulders 150-feet-high and put them in an island in the middle of the lake and then created two passerelles, or bridges to link the island to the park - hard to describe but a weird weird setting for Paris. On top of the island he fashioned a temple that offers views for miles around.

And Coco Cherie (?) i know you know about the park and its many delights for kids! a great picnique place for sure!
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 09:57 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I recently organized a canal trip for my company on the famous cruise from Bastille to Porte de la Villette, and I can now say from experience that it is absolutely worth it. The company is www.canauxrama.fr and they have other proposals for cruises as well.

Old Nov 28th, 2006, 10:30 AM

I also enjoyed reading your stroll. We went for a ride on the Canal St. Martin and thought that the playgrounds were magnificent and can't wait to bring our granddaughter in a couple of years. I second the opinion of those who felt that Christina was a bit on the abrasive side. No need for that. I found your info brought back some memories of our trip that were very pleasant. Thanks.
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 11:04 AM

PalBob: Let us know what you think of the Trader Joe's BN; sometimes I think that their French wines are pretty good. Not to worry otherwise--sometimes some of the exchanges here remind me of dialogues from Peanuts!
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

letour: still haven't got to Trader Joe's but going tonight before the BJNV runs out. I've had their $3.99 French TJoe Country Wine and found it comparable to a bottle of similar wine i'd buy for a few euros in France.

Probably guzzle it down tonight and report back - but i'm no wine aficinado that's for sure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -