Paris with a Toddler, Apartments?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2004, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My brother in law is moving to London this summer, so we will be braving the trip with a toddler (18 months) in September. And there's NO way I'd fly all that way without a quick visit over to Paris for a few days in my favorite neighborhood around Marche Buci and St Germain des Pres.

I have been reading lots of the posts here and still feel encouraged in spite of the many people who feel like it's too much of a hassle taking their kids. And we'll be travelling with my parents, who have offered to help with the baby and give us a few nights out in exhange for helping them afford the trip. So we're looking at it like an excellent opportunity to travel with the family when we may never again have this kind of opportunity to do it again. And leaving my toddler at home is NOT an option (as if I would) since I'm still breastfeeding her and probably will be in September.

I would like to find an apartment near St Germain des Pres preferably, but only want to stay 4 nights in Paris. Any suggestions for finding apartments? Most of the searches on Google yield the big apartment rental firms and they require 7 day minimums and charge a fortune.

Luckily, we've been to Paris a few times already so we know what we want to see again and know we don't have to do that racing around thing that you do on your first trip to Paris. We're also going to keep our expectations to a toddler level of activity, and hope to visit just our "highlights". Here's what we have in mind from our "adult" perspective... but please offer any ideas you may have for "toddler" activities.
-Musee d'Orsay (as long as she can enjoy it)
-Jardin du Luxembourg
-Rodin Gardens
-public markets
-walk along the Seine
-feed pigeons by the Louvre, though I doubt we'll make it into the Louvre
-Tuilleries

She's already walking well, probably will be running by September. I'm thinking, lots of outdoor park times for the family with picnics and people watchin. Are there any good listings of children's parks?

Finally, as I mentioned earlier, I'm breastfeeding. I'll do a separate post about this, too, but does anyone know the rules or norms about public breastfeeding in France. I'm in Northern California where we have the legal right to essentially "whip it out" whenever we need to. (Sorry to be a bit vulgar.) And I have no idea what is allowed in Europe... oddly in my pre-baby days I never even took notice of children there because I was so self-absorbed and enjoying my own thing.

Thanks,
Kat
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 02:30 PM

I suggest that you look at the owner-listed apartments on www.vrbo.com. A number of these listings offer per/day costs and they are almost always less expensive than the rental agency listings which naturally have a fee built in for the company.
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 02:46 PM

I don't understand why you need an apartment. We traveled with a 2 year old and used hotels in Paris and many other cities.

I recommend that you bring your own portable crib, and a stroller. A kid that age cannot walk all day and will be sleeping for much of the time that you are out strolling. We didn't have grandparents to watch our daughter. We took her everywhere in the city. It is not a hassle - it is a pleasure.

Old Apr 7th, 2004, 02:49 PM

About breast feeding..
Go ahead do it freely..
Europeans are not Puritans and breastfeeding a baby is part of everyday life...Nobody will pay attention when you feed your baby..
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone.

Hopscotch... I think the apartment route might be better for us because so many rooms in Paris are so tiny. And my toddler is a bit high intensity and high need. And she has yet to ever "sleep" in her stroller, let alone "sit" in it. So I'm imagining needing a place to go back to for down times to get her to take a nap. We'll be exceptionally lucky if I can just schlep her around in the stroller all day.... but we're not counting on it. Mostly, I just want to be there, in the heart of Paris, enjoying life, listening to the language and smelling and eating the food. So my expectations aren't that high for seeing lots of sights with her. But I'm also checking into a few hotels in the 6th. Any suggestions for family friendly hotels in that area?

Shellio... I'll check out VRBO. That's a big "duh" for me.... that's how I found my London apartment but I neglected to check there for Paris. Got a little bit of tunnel vision, I suppose. Oops.

Ciao,
Kat
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 06:20 PM

Check out rentparis.com - I think their prices are reasonable in lots of areas. I rented a studio in the 7th and was very impressed with their service. It seems like the crib would be the biggest issue; you can take a stroller which you'll definitely need.

No one ever mentions the Trocadero Gardens across the Seine from the Eiffel Tower but I spent a few hours there (during a month's stay) just people watching, fountains going off every hour, kids wading in the fountain, skateboarders showing off, etc. Frankly, I thought it was much more entertaining than the Luxembourg Gardens.
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 07:56 PM

It's been many years since I stayed there but you might want to consider the Hotel de l'Avenir*** on rue Madame in the 6th. It's a couple hundred feet from an entrance to Jardin du Luxembourg. There was a kid's pony ride near that entrance.

I also used the Hotel Stanislas** on rue (not blvd.) du Montparnasse in the 6th. This one mentions a baby bed on its web page.

You can google each of them for details.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 05:29 AM

The Tuilleries Gardens have a terrific playground, pony rides, trampoline, carousel, etc. The Place de Vosges has a nice sandbox. Most of the parks have puppet shows, but of course, you have to time them right.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 08:49 AM

One more thing- the flower/plant market on the Ile de la Cite (across from the Conciegerie) has exotic birds and other live animals on Sundays.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 09:42 AM

Kat, it's probably a good idea to know where the nearest play area is, wherever you are in Paris, and I just remembered that there's a small fenced-in one in the Palais Royale gardens, at the Grand Vefour end. The Daniel Buren sculpture at the Comedie Francaise end should also be fun for a climbing toddler if you're there to catch her.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 10:56 AM

...You may not be able to find an appt for less than one week. I noticed a number of appt hotels listed on venere and orbitz..if you get stuck this maybe an option...i still remember the joys of a small fridge and microwave when my 3 boys were todlers...
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 11:47 AM

Please don't take this the wrong way, but is it common to be still breastfeeding a baby at 18 months?
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 12:34 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
CafeBatavia, No it's not common. But in my experience mothers who nurse older children are often quite on the defensive about their decision to do so. I see this attitude in skatterfly's multiple posts on the subject.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 01:02 PM

An apt is definitely the way to go, especially with a toddler. Having a kitchen is great and a washer and dryer even better.

I don't know what you would consider expensive but try drawbridgetoeurope.com. Their apts are reasonable and even though they may just rent for the week, the weekly rate may be worth it. I have also looked at rentparis.com - I've never rented from them but their apts look decent and you can rent them for less than one week.

Have a great time. I think travelling with children is worth the extra hassle. I find the locals are more welcoming to you. And you end up seeing and doing wonderful things you never would have thought about before. It forces you to slow down and enjoy the moment.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 01:17 PM

You might try one of the Citidenes apartment/hotels; it seems they only require one night minimum stay. I also was going to recommend the Palais Royal for bird feeding and the sandbox. There are donkey rides in the Champs de Mars and also Parc Ranelagh. She is probably too young to ride but might have fun watching. And, I must say I don't understand why anyone thinks he/she has the right to an opinion on how long a mother feels her child needs breastfeeding. How intrusive.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 01:49 PM

skatterfly: More kid stuff

We found some spring based rocking animal things at Place de Varsovie, the foot of Trocadero at the Seine. Then across the Seine there was a merry-go-round and a cotton candy stand. Again, years ago. Our then 2 year old Stephanie is now 16. Gosh, they grow fast.

If you go up