Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris - Where to find really good marble Mortar & Pestle?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 05:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know where I can find a good Mortar &amp; Pestle? A friend of mine here in the States had a marble mortar w/marble pestle but it was broken and now she can only find the ones that are marble/wooden. So she requested I find her one in Paris.<BR><BR>Where should I look first? The BHV? Galeries Lafayett? Bon Marche?<BR><BR>Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide. Merci beaucoup!! : )
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 05:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Beatchick, the temple of household clutter of the kitchen, is Dehillerin, 18-20 coquilliere in the 1st. but as one wit limited funds, who wanted one, (mine is very small) tres cher and VERY heavy, so as one who travels with one small case and a backback, I prefer to bring back my olive oil so never bought one(tho I'd love one, but I saw one here a few ays ago, a blend of marble and other fragments at a place called anthopolagie if she has one in her area.<BR>that is more in my budget<BR>
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 06:22 PM

We got our marble mortar and pestle at Habitat - close to Fauchon
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 07:31 PM

It's a lot cheaper in time and weight to get one from William Sonoma or Sur La Table right here in the USA. Try www.....the above for catalogue info.<BR>Travel lite-be happy!
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 08:29 PM
Original Poster

We have several Williams-Sonoma here in Cincy but they only have the marble bottom w/wooden utensil. Again, she can't find the marble-marble in the U.S. like she wants.<BR><BR>She says a small one is fine (she showed me a size equivalent to about 4 inches in diameter) and is willing to pay up to $70 for it.<BR><BR>I don't plan to do much shopping, so hauling that back won't be a problem for me.<BR><BR>Mimi, thank you for that great suggestion. I checked out the website (http://www.e-dehillerin.fr/presentationA.html) but they seemed to only show copper-bottomed &amp; stainless steel cookware &amp; knives. But that doesn't mean they don't have a larger selection in the store.<BR><BR>And Tresgatos, thanks for your suggestion as well. But I can't find it on Pages Jaunes. Is it near the Fauchon on rue Madeleine in the 8th? I found a Habitat but it was in the 17th. How close to Fauchon is it, if you don't mind my asking?<BR><BR>Thanks! : )
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 11:38 PM

According to pagesjaunes,<BR>there are several Habitat shops in Paris. <BR>The one on Rue Etoile is only for purchases by correspondence.<BR><BR>Les Halles:<BR>1, Rue Pierre Lescot, Paris 1st arr.<BR><BR>Pont Neuf:<BR>8, Rue du Pont Neuf, 1st arr.<BR><BR>Wagram:<BR>35, Avenue Wagram, 17th arr.<BR>(off Place de l'Etoile)<BR><BR>None is *that* close to Fauchon, if pagesjaunes' listing is correct.<BR><BR>Hope this helps, Beatchick.<BR>
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 02:57 AM

www.surlatable.com has them for $14-$30. Mortar diameters vary from 3-1/4&quot; to 5-1/4&quot;. Or do a search for 'mortar' on Yahoo and several will come up in various colors and prices. No reason to lug one back with you when your friend can have one much quicker over the internet.
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 03:57 AM
Original Poster

Yes, Ursula, I saw that, too. That's where I was searching. Oh well.<BR><BR>Thank you, RufusTFirefly! I'm giving the info to my friend today. Cool.
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 04:07 AM
ira

Hi beatchick,<BR> Suggest to your friend that she look on eBay.com. There are about 20 different types and sizes for under $30.00.
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 04:57 AM

The Habitat store that I am referring to is right behind Fauchon's (the restaurant and deli building) on the corner of Rue Vignon and Rue de Seze. We have shopped at this store for years - sometimes they have what you are looking for and sometimes they don't.
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 05:04 AM

I bought a marble mortal and pestle at a local privately-owned kitchen store here in Pgh. recently. NOMB, but I sure wouldn't want to haul even the smallest of them home from France. <BR><BR>s.
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 05:21 AM

why don't you try bed bath and beyond ? I bought mine there two years ago, marble, they have two different kinds. Good luck
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 04:07 PM
Original Poster

Actually, thanks to Deloris &amp; RufusTFirefly I think we have a winner! I did a little searching on the website and gave the info to my friend. She is ECSTATIC!!<BR><BR>And she wanted me to thank everyone on this thread - THANK YOU! She was planning to spend up to $70 and now she only has to spend $30 for the most expensive one at Sur la Table.
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 06:29 PM

Congrats beatchick on ducking that one.<BR><BR>The only things I buy in Europe are really unusual things that catch my eye and I have never seen locally.<BR><BR>Here I know three 'Italian' kitchen stores where I could buy those.
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 09:06 PM

KIDS..Know before you go!!! Travel lite..be happy! Don't buy abroad what is cheaper at home!!! Deloris' travel mantra! Takes research but saves $$$$<BR>Bon Voyage!
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 09:11 PM

Deloris is right! And, they have them at our local Kitchen, Etc. for under $10 (or on the website).
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 09:12 PM

PS I would never spend valuable time shopping for anything that can be found stateside!