Paris - what to buy

May 4th, 2000, 06:07 PM
blemke

Paris - what to buy

Hi,
We will be going to Paris in a couple of weeks....what should be bring back???

May 4th, 2000, 08:00 PM
Diane

You need to be more specific. Are you shopping for yourself or others? Male or female? Likes/dislikes? Price range? Help us help you.

May 5th, 2000, 03:16 AM
Monica

I brought back some inexpensive Paris prints which hang on my wall along the staircase. I purchased a Tapestry (purchased in Dijon), herbs de Province, chocolates, a gold pendant of the E. Tower; I wish I had picked up one of those souviners of the E. Tower for my office!

May 5th, 2000, 03:30 AM
francesca

Candles from Diptyque, prints of old ads purchased from booksellers along the Seine, tiny Eiffel Towers (add string and use as Christmas ornaments), a Eiffel Tower bath sponge (in the boutique at the tower), Roger & Gallet Les Bains Oligo-Active Shower Cream (smells great, not available in the US).

May 5th, 2000, 04:00 AM
elaine

perfumes
You can get good prices on French perfumes, especially if you shop at a well-known discounter like Catherine (5-7 rue Castiglione) or Michel Swiss (16 rue de la Paix), and even more especially if you spend at least 1200FF
at one store, which will save you the VAT tax.
You can also find Lalique, Baccarat and other French crystal for less than in the US

May 5th, 2000, 05:27 AM
Beth Anderson

Go to your local Borders, buy a cup of chai, but just before you do - grab off the shelf a book called "Shop your way through France/Paris" or something like that, by Suzy ____ (sorry I forget her last name). It is in the travel section. She does several shop til you drop type books.

Take plenty of notes.

Beth

May 5th, 2000, 08:08 AM
Emily

Good advice from the previous poster. I believe that the book she is referring to is "Born to Shop -- Paris" by Suzy Gersham (I think that's how you spell it.)

May 5th, 2000, 09:57 AM
elvira

Bring back an abiding love for the Moveable Feast; bring back the desire to return again and again, and to see more of France and Europe and the world; bring back joie de vivre; bring back an appreciation of things different; bring back glorious memories and fond rememberances.

Or, you can lug back:
handmade stationery from the Marais; miniature buildings from Gault; placemats, kitchen towels and coffee bowls from au Printemps; enamel coat hook and leaf-shaped drawer pulls from BHV; small painting from a street artist; French roast coffee and hair decoration from Galeries Lafayette; wire whisk from Dehillerin; earrings from a jewelry artisan in the Bastille; 1950's decorating book from the flea market at Vanves; 14" Eiffel Tower from rue de Rivoli (wire it for a lamp when you get home); tshirt and free tote bag from Samaritaine; aftershave, toothpaste and flower water from a pharmacy.

May 5th, 2000, 11:24 AM
Lydia

Elvira - please give directions to the Bastille where I can buy earrings - would appreciate it

May 5th, 2000, 11:59 AM
Jeff

I like Elvira's last first comments and last. Obviously, if you find something nice that you want and/or need, buy it. However, some of my favorite 'souvenirs" (sp?) are inexpensive consumables. The first time we went to Europe, I brought back a bunch a junk. The last time I went, I brought back more consumables, such as toothpaste and mustard. True, they don't last forever, but they are fun and don't add to the other junk that tends to accumulate in my basement.

May 5th, 2000, 12:14 PM
Lorri

I agree with Elvira's first comments also. Just got back from Paris on Mon. I bought great Belgian chocolates there.(they didn't make it home). We had subway passes, but walked at least 10 miles a day. Did no shopping and had the time in 7 days to explore many neighborhoods in Paris. It was great to see people living completely different from us.(we live in a MA suburb). It was city life, slowed down, in comparision to the U.S. It was great to be, almost, lost in places where no one spoke English. The sunny morning boat ride on the Seine was wonderful. We bought some wine at the Duty Free shop in the airport, while we waited for our plane. Met a couple from Texas at the airport. They were complaining about wasting 2 of their 5 days in Paris shopping for gifts for family, friends and fellow workers. We just nodded and smiled. I felt a little smug about deciding not to shop for gifts. Met a couple from CA, and their six year old, who were traveling light also. The happiest Americans I ran into in Paris.

May 5th, 2000, 01:44 PM
elvira

Lydia:
Rue de Charenton has quite a few jewelers. The Metro stop is Republique (area also has a lot of fashionable boutiques - Patrick Kelley had his atelier in the area - I think Gaultier does, too, but I can't remember which street)

May 5th, 2000, 02:42 PM
John

Hi, Blemke,
A bottle of Banyuls. No, wait. Three bottles of Banyuls. Don't know about Banyuls? Try it at any bar. (It's a dessert wine not too unlike a light port. Sadly, made out of unobtainium at 99%+ of US wine shops.)

Otherwise, refer to Elvira's post - scary.

Oh, hold up. Could you bring me back a plain omelette? (Shouldn't write these posts after missing lunch.) Anybody out there with me on the French omelette thing? Are French eggs addictive or what?

You'll have a ball, Blemke. Paris in May. Sigh.

May 5th, 2000, 06:43 PM
blemke

Hi,
Thanks everyone for your warm, funny and
great ideas.....