Search

Paris Walks

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2003, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris Walks

Has anyone used the Paris Walks book by Gilles Desmons. I'm trying to trim down the books I am taking to a minimum, but there seems to be some really good walks in this book. Is it worth taking with me? Are some walks better than others?
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 09:25 AM

Barb - I have taken this book on my last two trips and have done a few of the walks depending on where I was. This past trip (April) I used in for the Passages and part of the Arenes.. .Jardin des Plants. Last fall I used it for the Opera area and Montparnasse. It is the only book I actually used with walks so I can't compare but I thought the directions, descriptions, information were very helpful.
Mara
PS Plus it does not seem as heavy as some of my other guidebooks!
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Mara: Was it easy to follow the directions? Are the times allotted for the walks pretty accurate? Thanks for your help.
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 09:44 AM

This would seem to be the best written and organized of several publications I've read. "Romantic Paris" by Thirza Vallios has some good ideas too.
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 10:18 AM

Barb - Very easy to follow maps. As far as time alloted, I tend to do things out of order so am not sure of that but it's probably a good enough guideline.
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 10:30 AM

The Fodor's guidebook for Paris has some good walks plotted out.
So does Frommers, so does the Rick Steves book. That way you get other sightseeing, restaurant, info as well.
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

I am taking Rick Steves France book (for Lyon, Avignon and Nice) and also the small spiral Paris book from AAA. It's so hard not to take too many books. I'm copying pages out of Mona Winks for the museums and pages out of Paris Bistros too. And, of course, lots of Fodor's tips. Maybe I will just copy a few of the walks from Paris Walks too.
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 06:05 PM

I used Gilles Desmons' book for quite a few of my "Paris Walks", and liked it alot. I copied the walks that I thought I might like before I went. It's a great way to do it, as you don't have to lug around the whole book on the walk. Some of the walks are fairly long, but of course you can cut them short. And have another Paris map with you, too. I have to really struggle not to take too many guidebooks with me! I've learned to tear out pages, and do alot of copying. Rick Steves Paris guidebook has alot of practical information, and I especially liked his museum info - very handy to have - and the book is light!
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 07:57 PM

I can't recommend copying enough. I always figure I will spend half a day at Kinko's before a trip because I hate lugging heavy books around and they are hard to use "on the spot." I loved having Steves' museum tours in handy pocket versions.
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 04:46 AM

Walking guidebooks by Desmons and Thirza V. are excellent guides for those who want details about buildings, squares and sites passed along the route. For instance, they may describe gargoyles, trim on drain spouts, and describe a statue located deep within a park. Steves, Fodors, Frommers and others provide general walking routes without providing details. It's up to you to decide how much detail you prefer.
Old Jun 29th, 2003, 03:27 PM

Some people don't like to rip pages out of books, but that is what I do - rip out the pages of the guidebooks. Got tired of photocopying. I have used an accordian plastic file folder slightly larger than a coupon file. Sort the pages by area.

I have also used a 6 ring address book about the length of a business envelope and found that convenient except for punching holes in the pages (sometimes punch out words). Anyway, if you don't like destroying books, photocopy. I also take extra paper clips. Each day I take out just the pages I need and put them in the side pouch of my bag.
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

I've heard that Rick Steves (not personally I'm sure)will send you a new Mona Winks for like $5.00 if you send him your old book with the pages torn out. Loved that book for Italy, hopefully the France portion will be just as good.
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 03:24 PM

My favorite is "Paris Walking Guide: Where to Go, Where to Eat, What to Do"
by Jeanne Oelerich. Only 8 pages (8-1/2 x 11, front & back), the maps are excellent, six walks are included, along with the Louvre and Musee d'Orsay tips. Other useful information is included as well. Descriptions are concise (you really can't walk and read at the same time...). It's available at Amazon.com