Notices

flight costs - can this be right??

Old Jun 30th, 2003, 11:29 AM
Ivy
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
flight costs - can this be right??

I want to fly British Air (because they offer premimum economy) to Venice in the fall. So I went to the BA website and put in the dates. The message I received let me know that there was no premuium economy service between london and venice but I could get it between Washington D.C. and London. The cost quoted was over $2K per ticket!! However, when I priced the two legs separtely - D.C. to London on premium economy and london to venice on regular economy - the first leg was only $1K per ticket and the second leg was only $154 per ticket which adds up to $1154 per ticket for the same trip if I buy the legs separately!! Does that make sense? Am I missing something?? why should it be so much more to buy the whole trip together? Anyone???
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 12:09 PM

Ivy,
Don't quote mr on this, but I believe it's a software problem. Even though it does tell you that the inter-Europe segment will be in regular coach, it still prices the total trip as economy plus, so yes it is cheaper to do it separetly.
Also, I'm sure you did notice, but in case you did not, the two flights are from different airports. I'm pretty sure that BA only flies to LHR from Washington D.C. and flies from Gatwick only to Venice, so give yourself plenty of time for transfers, which by the way you will have to arrange yourself, regardless if you had one ticket or 2.
Have a great trip!
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 12:11 PM

I'd suggest you go to flyertalk.com and post this question in the BA forum. I'm sure there is some perfectly weird reason and probably someone there will know what it is!
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 12:13 PM

Better still, simply pick up the phone and call British Airways.
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 12:13 PM

AA was posting at the same time as I was; seems like some fairly good surmises right there!
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 12:26 PM
Ivy
Original Poster

thanks guys, these are some really good suggestions!!
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 12:43 PM
Intrepid

Another erason for the big difference could be that when you priced the two segments together the software priced it based on the entire route or "market" and those prices are set based on the amount of competition in that market...probably a lot less competition in the IAD-Venice "market" than in the London-Venice market. Regardless, a good thing you priced the segments separately and hope it works out for you..cheaper!

Old Jun 30th, 2003, 01:38 PM

It is not the websight causing the issue. Sometimes the trans-atlantic fares can be extremely high to some popular destinations when connecting thru a hub city. I think its the seamless convenience. You are correct when you say that if you buy 2 separate tickets the cost is ower, although when you get 2 tickets that accounts for two separate contracts and terms of carriage. Also, don't assume that the $154 offered by BA from London to Venice can actually be purchased in the USA. I just tried to do that with a ticket fom Newark to Vienna via London on United Airlines connecting to Austrian Airlines. When I went to purchase the low fare $150 ticket to Venice it was rejected because I was not a resident on the European Union. The ticket was valid only to be purchased and mailed to a UK address. For an American flying the same route, in the same seat, the fare was $380.

When I checked in at Vienna with 2 tickets they told me that they could not give me a boarding pass for my intercontinental United Airlines flight and that should my Austrian flight be delayed then they would not be responsible for my connecting United flight. Although it would still be likely that United would arrange to get me home. Regardless of this, my luggage WAS checked thru. This has happened to me every time I have got two separate tickets, even when I was flying on the same airline.

The airline industry is complex so if you are going to seperate tickets remember two things;

1. Allow plenty of time between flight which is far more than the legally allowed time.

2. ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS get a hard copy ticket if you are connecting with two different tickets. The counter at you origin may not be able to get into the e-ticket system for your connecting flight. If you have a ticket and you are traveling with the same airline or a partner, they may be able to get in.

Also, the connecting sword can swing both ways. I have seen flights on Air France or Lufthansa to London with connections thru their German and French hub cities that were LESS then the fares offered to the actual hub as a non stop.
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 02:49 PM

To avoid having to transfer between Heathrow and Gatwick, you may want to look into BMI for the second leg of your trip. We just booked a flight from London Heathrow to Venice Marco Polo for less than $60 (one way), including taxes. Not only will you benefit from the lower fare, but you will avoid the time and cost associated with travelling between airports.
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 03:25 PM

Ivy, I think you've gotten a lot of good answers. I would take Lorna's advice & fly BA between US & London & then take BMI (assuming the times work out) between London & Venice. BMI is the only carrier to my knowledge that flies LHR/VCE. All the others fly from Gatwick & the transfer from Heathrow to Gatwick is not fun.