Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

PARIS vs. Barcelona (Which Zone in Paris?)

Jan 9th, 2005, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

Hey Everyone: I am travelling to Barcelona for 4 days and then 3 days to Paris. I am close to booking a place in Barcelona, which I feel the areas where everyone was reccomending were all sort of the same. The question I have is for a first timer to Paris, which area would you guys reccomend. Personal interests, I want to be in the middle of all the hustle, at the same times, in the nigh time I would like to be near some clubs and all. Also, any hotel names would be gratefully accepted. I am aiming for $100 a night.
Jan 9th, 2005, 02:56 PM
ira

Hi KG,

Despite the fact that I cannot possibly fathom why someone would spend any time in Barcelona as opposed to Paris for a week, let alone 4:3, I suggest that you look for hotels in the Marais, 4th Arrond, or the Latin Quarter, 5th.

Jan 9th, 2005, 03:08 PM

First of all I second what Ira says. A few years ago, I spent 5 days in Barcelona (it was for business but we had quite a bit of free time). Five days was WAY to much time there. Then this last summer I was in Paris for 3 days before moving on to Bordeaux. With 3 days in Paris (all as a tourist) I felt like I was barely scrathing the surface of that the city has to offer. I wished I could have traded all those days in Barcelona for Paris. And while I will probably never go back to Barcelona, I can't wait for my next visit to Paris.

As far as hotels are concerned, the areas Ira mentioned are good. Just remember that with the euro exchange rate what it is right now, $100 is 76 euro. This recent thread discusses this very subject and you can search for other such treads.
www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=2

Jan 9th, 2005, 03:14 PM
Jan 9th, 2005, 03:15 PM

Sorry, first link wasn't correct, try the second one or just go to search and type in Paris Hotels under $100
Jan 9th, 2005, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

Hey Guys:
I really cant agree or disagree with you all on Paris vs Barcelons, as I have not been there yet. However, I can make my trip only two days in Barcelona and take another trip elswehere. I am open to suggestions. I have to be back in Barcleona on the 15th as I am flying to Paris, already bough the ticket. But do you guys have any suggestions.
Thanks
Jan 9th, 2005, 04:30 PM

I think what we were trying to say is to spend more than 3 days in Paris. If you are set with your ticket, then I am sure others can advise you about Barcelona or perhaps some other location in Spain.
Jan 9th, 2005, 05:45 PM

You're still asking for suggestions? Have you read the dozens and dozens of great and detailed suggestions already given you via the links from Paula? If you've read those, there really isn't much more to suggest.
For your budget and what you describe I'd concentrate on the Marais or near Republique.
Jan 10th, 2005, 02:44 AM

Gee, Ira, lighten up a little. There are actually some of us who couldn't imagine living in Madison, Georgia, either, but we don't make a point of being condescending about your "non-understandable" decision to do so.
Jan 10th, 2005, 03:38 AM

I liked Barcelona and the wild world at night. We stayed on Las Rambles near the ocean and people stay out until early morning. So much going on including pick pocketing, be real careful.
Having said that about Barcelpna, I LOVED PARIS, We stayed in the Latin Quarter and the evenings were fun. We stayed in a Thimble Hotel (not sure of the spelling) it is an english hotel chain and there are 2 in the Latin Quarter. Both near subways. We spent 118 for two with breakfast. That was in 2003.
Jan 10th, 2005, 03:53 AM

I think both of these cities are great - you could easily spend a week in each and still have more to see and do. There is lots to do just in Barcelona or you can take day trips to places like Figueras for Dali museum, Stiges for the beach, Tarragona (sp?) for Roman ruins, or Monserrat (sp?) a monestary up in the mountains - depending on your interests. They have a bike tour of the city (Fat Tire) that appeals to young tourists. The Ramblas is very unique and lively. You can't beat the Spanish/Catalans for nite life. Personally I think Barcelona/Paris is a great combo - very different but both very vibrant. Go for both! SueC1
Jan 10th, 2005, 04:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone, who has helped me and kinda been blunt to em over the last three weeks on fodors. I basically have come down to some finalists for Barcelona. I have narrowed it down to Hotel Regencia, Hotel Moderna and Banys Orientals. I have done tons of research and have heard everyones advice. I am still breakign my $100 budget, but have no other choice. I really want to stay in the middle of everything. For Paris, I am working out the final list. Thanks again fodorites.
Jan 10th, 2005, 05:27 AM
ira

Hi KG,

Hotels in Paris, in your budget, that have been given good reviews here:

http://www.france-hotel-guide.com/h75005monge.htm

http://www.france-hotel-guide.com/h75005stjacques.htm

http://www.choicehotelseurope.com/ho...el?hotel=FR281

A little more than you want to spend, but very nice
http://www.france-hotel-guide.com/h75007muguet.htm