Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris vegetarian friendly..not L'Arpege but what about these...?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2007, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For a 3 nights visit to Paris next month, I am (once again) planning where to eat. I will be doing further research on the food sites, but wonder if anyone here has any information regarding the feasibility of dining at any of these with a vegetarian who eats neigther meat nor fish but will eat cheese and eggs.
Any other places that will make us both happy?

Ze Kitchen Galerie (I loved this place last time)
L'Ami Jean (loved this just as much as the above)
Le Petit Troquet
L"Entredgeu
Le Timbre

Finally, I am considering Les Magnolias and would like information on how much time to allot from central Paris to the restaurant in Perreux-sur-Marne; is it feasible to dine here at night and return to Paris by RER?
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 06:35 PM

Hi ekscrunchy,
We've been in the situation of finding restaurants in Paris with some vegetarian family members, and it's not always easy.

Small restaurants with limited menus just don't have much at all for vegetarians, and after a while they get pretty tired of the having the same salad with goat cheese every place they go.

For lunch, I figured that a Croque Monsieur without the ham would work, but we had one restaurant (Angelina's) refuse to make one that way!

Here are some places on my list that are good for vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike:

I've had dinner twice at:
Le Potager du Marais
22 rue Rambuteau, tel# 01 42 74 24 66, Metro Rambuteau

It's a vegetarian restaurant, but it's so good that the meat eaters won't feel like they're missing anything. It's a tiny place; casual, with just one long, communal table, and very reasonable. I had a terrific tartiflette there.

If you want something fancier, you might look at Maceo
15 rue des Petits- Champs, 75001 Paris.
Tel. 01 42 97 53 85
http://www.maceorestaurant.com

Owned by same people as Willi’s Wine Bar, right next door. They have a regular menu and vegetarian menu. I haven't eaten there, but it's on my list to go to with our vegetarian daughter who's currently living in Paris.

If you like Moroccan food, we've really liked
El Mauresque
3, Rue Cadet, 75009. Tel : 01 48 24 42 99
Exotic atmosphere, and very friendly proprietors. Great couscous with vegetables, brochettes of lamb or merguez sausage, assorted pastries and sorbet for dessert, and Moroccan tea. Very reasonable.

Ethnic restaurants are usually pretty good options in general. There are usually good vegetarian choices at Thai and Indian restaurants.

Good luck, and have a great trip!
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 03:38 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Marcy. I think my friend should get used to the idea of eating goat cheese salads for 3 nights!!!

I am quite sure that Ze Kitchen will have some good veg options; I just do not remember them since I ate there alone last year.
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 04:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i agree on ethnic food marocco, tunisia, even greek
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 04:17 AM

Moroccan food isn't always as veggie as it seems - the vegetables served with couscous, for instance, are often cooked in meat stock, or cooked with the meat itself, which is then removed and served separately. So it's always best to ask before ordering!
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 04:18 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. But I am not about to go to Paris for 3 nights and eat in a Greek restaurant. Thanks goodness my friend is more flexible than I am about food! We will have to muddle through unless I can convince her to splurge at L"Arpege! (not much chance of that!)
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 04:42 AM

ekscrunchy I ate at Ze Kitchen just last week [like your friend i am veg, no meat or fish but do eat eggs/cheese] and they made a couple of dishes veg friendly for me. I really enjoyed this place and the desserts were terrific (I had 2).

Le Bosquet (in the 7th) also had a number of options. Also, this was certainly not fine dining but we had dinner at Le Verre Vole, which is a tiny wine bar in the 10th - while pretty heavy on the "nose to tail" items it did have some veg options for both apps and mains - i had the cheese plate as a main and it was delicious. But then I could eat cheese 24/7 and be a happy gal

Enjoy.
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 04:45 AM

My vote for best veggie restaurant in paris: Le Grenier de Notre Dame, in the 5th, 18 Rue de la Bucherie, just south of the notre dame.

Old Apr 26th, 2007, 05:04 AM

I have eaten at Maceo 3 times in my past visits to Paris, I love it!
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 07:13 AM

Maybe more of a lunch than for dinner, but creperie serves savoury crepe, which can be quite lacto-ovo veggie friendly, reasonably priced and filling.

Many restaurants CAN accomodate veggie (esp if not strictly vegan) diet if you ask them in advance. They can be quite creative--I forgot the location, nothing famous or fancy, a bistro somewhere in 5th or 6th, that served multi-layered vegetable in filo dough.

BTW, also be careful with Thai restaurants. Many items may use fish sauce or oyster sauce for seasoning.
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again to all who responded. I am not looking for a vegetarian or an "ethnic" restaurant. Looking for a good, preferably chef-driven place that will have at least one item in each course for a vegetarian (not vegan).

I think I will return to Ze Kitchen and look for one other place...Le Chateaubriand is getting good reviews and, despite its name, I think they may have some veg friendly dishes...

Want to get back to L'Ami Jean, too.....
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 05:17 PM

I have never been to Le Souffle but that might be a place for a vegetarian who eats eggs & cheese.
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 06:04 PM

my vegan daughter loved her meal at Ze Kitchen Gallerie last June - her dishes (and mine were creative and absolutely delicious. An Indian journalist sitting next to us worked her way through a very impressive vegetarian tasting menu as we watched.
Its a great place for a vegetarian and breaks up the endless sequence of goat cheese salads, and plain steamed vegetable combos that characterizes much of vegetarian dining in France.

Old Apr 27th, 2007, 02:09 AM
Original Poster

I am happy to read that. I liked Ze Kitchen quite a bit; I had one of the best meals of my week last fall. I think I liked it a bit better than Atelier JR...

So I am very pleased to learn that they can suit a vegetarian. I will book a table there for us next month.
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

I will just add this on to the ongoing post above.

I wonder if anyone here has had experience at Hiramatsu. They have a "business lunch" for 48 euro including tax and service and it looks lovely.
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 06:00 PM

Was researching restos and came upon this one. Anyone tried this one? Since it seems every so often there is someone looking for this type of eatery...I thought it sounded very good, and I'm not even vegetarian.

Les Cinq Saveurs d'Anada 72 rue Cardinal Lemoine. 5è.
Vegetarian and Macrobiotique. Tel:01-43-29-58-54
www.anada5saveurs.com