Search

Paris Trip Report

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27th, 2007, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris Trip Report

Just returned from Paris.

A first timer friend joined me. I had rented a Paris Perfect apartment.We flew different airlines and would not even consinder meeting at the airport. We each had drivers meet us as we exited and they drove us to one of Christian Constant's restaurants..Les Cocottes. It worked out just great. A young mand from ParisPerfect then arrived and we walked to few blocks to our apartment on rue Jean Nicot. He showed us around and we then went back to Les Cocottes for lunch and then on over to pick up our Museum Passes near Palais Royale. Introduced my friend to the metro and picked up a carnet of metro tickets. We dined at Le Petit Trouquet for an earlyish dinner and to call it a night.
The following day we did Marmottan and oysters for lunch outside on St. Andre des Arts. Warm day. Took friend to Mariage Freres for shopping. Dinner at La Cerisaie..good choice.

Next day went to Hediards on Pl. de la Madelaine, Jacquemart Andre for my friend while I had lunch there. Au Petit Tonneau local restaurant for dinner.

Following day was the strike day. We had lunch reservations at Spring. I checked with taxis previous day and they said best to forget it..I called Spring the morning of our reservations and asked if they had made any arrangements for customers. He acted like he didn't even know there was a strike!! I told him to cancel our reservation and hoped that others were courteous enough to call with the transportation problems.

By this time I had taught my friend how to use the metro and sent her off walking to Invalides etc. I had a great lunch at Violon d'Ingres and caught up on things with
Catherine Constant.

Following day we took a taxi to Taillevent for lunch. The strike was here and there. My friend had the experience of a Taillevent great lunch..several hours of great attention. M. Vrinat even placed a bottle of Taillevent cognac on our table...no charge, of course. Travellers should take advantage of a great many of the starred restaurants having a 70 - 75 euro lunch..wine etc. extra, of course. You will receive the same service. We did not do the 70 euro lunch..ours was 484 euros...I told Phillipe that my friend was a first timer and they did things up well. Needless to say, she was most impressed!

We had Galeries Lafayette fashion show reservations, but did not make it. Did an Illuminations tour from 9 - 11 in the evening. A good orientation of Paris and the sights.

The following day was Sat. and we were off on the Metro to the Saxe Breteuil market. It is a good sized one. My friend enjoyed it.The evening was spent with another Fodorite, grandmere, coming by our apartment and then we taxied to Au Gourmand..in their new location on Moliere. A great dinner, a charming place and owner. A nice visit with grandmere.

Sunday I dined at l'Obelisque in the Crillon. My friend is off doing the first timer sight seeing. This was the only night that we had left dining open..we found a delightful local restaurant on rue Amelie...Chez Pierrot..across from another good local Petit Nicois.

Next day did the Fontainebleu/Barbizon/Vaux le Vicomte minivan tour. Early morning pickup. Dinner reservations wer at Carte Blanche. Metro worked fine and returned home by taxi. Nice spot and well recommended by friends.

Next day was the Huterie Regis new restaurant in the 6th for lunch..seating only 14! We were there and gorged on marvelous huitres, pain and vin..what more could you want!! Did some shopping for pre dinner guests. My French friends came into town and the Fodorites known as Laidback bused down from Montmarte..we had a glass or two of champagne etc. and then we walked down to Violon d'Ingres for an enjoyable evening! Karen Fawcett(Bonjour Paris) had intended to join us, but she picked up some flu bug on trip over the previous day. Will see her in the Spring!!

Friend off following morning of last day to Guimet and Eiffel Tour. I had some shopping to do and picture taking of the outside door of April Parisianflat apt. on rue Dauphine, when my granddaughter and husband will be my guests. We will meet there. Last evening nearby (Rapp) to Le Clos des Gourmet...nice spot! I will be nearby in a Paris Perfect apt. in April..after kids leave.

Driver picked us up early following morning and dropped friend off at terminal 1 and terminal 2 for me..Delta flight from ATL was delayed arriving(I think the Air France strike) and a lot of re-routing. I came back via CVG and then home to AVL..about 5 hours later than original. I had a Crown Room special from Delta that came in handy..used it in ATL on way over and it was very near my gate at CVG and I had several hours..

A good trip, good weather, nice friends getting together and now working beyond April, 2008!
Old Oct 27th, 2007, 09:45 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
<<M. Vrinat even placed a bottle of Taillevent cognac on our table...no charge, of course.>>

How nice that there was no charge. I hope that you left a really nice tip.
Old Oct 27th, 2007, 04:15 PM

gracejoan3, It sounds like a wonderful trip. Really makes me long for Paris. BTW, do you know what happened to BP Chuck over on the Bonjour Paris website? I have not seen his posts in ages. He was so helpful to my husband and I when we took our first trip to Paris many years ago....
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 08:46 AM

bookmarking
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 09:06 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
If people are bookmarking this, I will just say that I hope that nobody is surprised that 'free' cognac comes with a 484€ lunch bill.
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Actually at Taillevent, even the 70 euro lunheon special diners will probably receive a "free" bottle of cognac. Just one of their niceties...........
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 06:03 PM

bookmarking
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 06:06 PM

M. Vrinat has died since your visit.

Additionally Michelin took away a star before his death.