Notices

My Paris Trip Report

Old May 30th, 2007, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Paris Trip Report

I have posted my first time trip report on Paris in the Europe Forum. Look for the title:
Not Your Average trip Report on Paris

Bill T
Old May 30th, 2007, 05:56 AM

I'll have a look! Did you enjoy Paris, or is it a "been there, done that" sort of place like it is for me??

Carol
Old May 30th, 2007, 06:03 AM

Nice report, Bill. I last visited Paris 20 years ago. Other than the skyrocketing costs, it doesn't seem to have changed much. Enjoyed meeting you and Olive at the Pasadena GTG.
Old May 30th, 2007, 06:03 AM

good report, thanks
Old May 30th, 2007, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

This was our first time to Paris- we loved it!
Old May 30th, 2007, 06:57 AM

Glad you and Olive had a great time in Paris. I laughed when you mentioned that CDG is in need of renovation or however you put it. It's been in need for a very long time. I've been going to Paris, almost annually, since 1976 and even back in the 70s, I was surprised when I saw the airport. I thought that for such a popular city, that the airport would be so much better...like the S.E.Asian ones.
I also had to laugh about the part where you mentioned the lack of knowing how to line up. Well, if you think that's bad, then go to Orly airport where it looks like a free for all.
As far as "Le Attitude", I remember articles about this back in either the 80s or early 90s where tourists were complaining a lot about, "Le Attitude". Folks were really getting fed up with it. So, there was a campaign of sort...in the tourist industry... to clean it up. Then things turned much nicer. I've been there during decades when it's been ridiculously bad.
I go to Paris to basically shop and before my Japanese friends returned back to Japan three years ago, I would go to see/hang out with them at their restaurant. Now that they've returned to Japan, it's a different Paris for me. I will probably not spend as much time there or will use it as a base to go to other places. Happy Travels!
Old May 30th, 2007, 08:24 AM

guenmai
My experiences in Paris must have been before they decided to work on their attitude... lol I really don't care to go back. But that shouldn't stop others from going. Yes, Paris is a BEAUTIFUL city!!! I'll certainly grant that.

Carol
Old May 30th, 2007, 09:50 AM

Carol...Well, "Le Attitude" is not totally cleaned up, but it is better than at other times in the past. I have just kind of gotten a big laugh when throughout many decades I've heard on and on and on and babble and babble and babble about the "Ugly American" when there are a LOT of places/countries that I've traveled to where I've seen behavior far...far..worse, but you don't hear people talking about those behaviors as one consistently talks about American behavior.I've seen horrendous behavior by westerners in Africa and what I've experienced hasn't been from Americans. I've even been the recipient of some of that bad behavior from folks assuming that I was African. I ask my African friends why they are so tolerant of such behavior. Happy Travels!
Old May 30th, 2007, 09:54 AM

remember the ceiling collapse at CDG a couple of years ago....that was in the very new part which was quite nice, so they are working on it....didn't you see all the building going on all over the airport??
Old May 30th, 2007, 11:59 AM

Bob...I remember the ceiling collapsing. I had just left Paris shortly before it had happened. And yes, there is building going on. However due to some strict French laws,there are things that can't be changed. I asked airline workers/staff at the airport...in 2005... why the terminal with the big escalatored tunnel hadn't been renovated and I was told because when it was built back in the 60s, I think it was, it was some type of design that was revolutionary then. So, strict laws won't allow it to be altered. I guess it's the equivalent to some laws in other countries where things can't be altered. I know Denmark has such laws on some structures/areas.
So,if one is lucky enough to fly into the terminal that Air France flies into, then the place looks better. But whenever I've been on United,the last time being in 2006, I have flown into the old terminal. I call it the Orange terminal since the seats in the waiting area are orange. Happy Travels!
Old May 30th, 2007, 12:17 PM

Correction...I meant moving walkway...it's not really an escalator.Happy Travels!
Old May 31st, 2007, 04:51 AM
Original Poster

And in Paris- there is no "Wrong" side of the river!
Old May 31st, 2007, 06:57 AM

Carol...the Ohana Waikiki Malia has decent rooms and a great location and is attached to the new IHOP which is quite convenient for inexpensive meals. There isn't a full ocean view if you get an ocean view, but it is adequate. It's an older hotel, but with a desk staff that's second to none. I stay there because the desk staff is so absolutely wonderful and helpful. They were great to my 86 year old dad. Looked out after him like a family member. I had also stayed there in 2005.

The hotel is on the corner of Kuhio and Lewers Street...one block from the main drag. The parking is $18.00 a day, but goes down depending on how many days you stay. There are many hotels that charge far more. A compact car is recommended since the parking structure is tight. Happy Travels!
Old May 31st, 2007, 02:46 PM

Bill, I enjoyed your Paris report. I too like the 7th (but I also liked Rue Cler).

Enjoyed meeting you and Olive in Pasadena and hope to see you at another GTG soon.

Polly

One thing, haven't you figured out that exchanging the space for a 12 pack of coke to accommodate French shoes and handbags does not come out ahead in the money game??? just teasing, I bet those new shoes are elegant on Olive!
Old May 31st, 2007, 06:09 PM

i think bill looks good with the shoes and bags....
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Its_all_about_the_O

Actually Bob they look best on me!