Paris trip report

Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris trip report

Flew to London and connected to Paris on BMI. Paris was a whole lot colder than London. Took the train to Gare du Nord and used the Metro to my hostel in Montmartre. First thing I noticed was that the Metro is dirty and smelly, unlike the Tube in London. Metro was as easy to use, but the Tube definately wins when comparison is made.

Went to the Louvre and got my 3-day museum pass for 36 euros. No lines at all on this Thursday afternoon. Saw Mona Lisa smiled, she was very tiny. The museum is huge, and I almost got a headache by the time I left a few hours later trying to take as much in as possible.

Very strange thing was that I hit five bakeries and couldn't find creme brulee.

Went to Notre Dame the next day, and walked 422 steps up to the bell. The view was amazing from the top.

Had a ham and cheese crepe, was quite good. But being a little clean-picky and fearing that I would get sick again (traveling), I don't think I like that the "chef" used the same hand to handle the crepe and to take my money, and would not buy a crepe in this fashion again.

Walked along La Seine and went to Ste. Chapelle. The glass windows were really interesting and beautiful. More walking towards the Orsay Museum, and I loved it because I'm a big impressionism fan. Walked more and went to the Rodin Museum. Sat in the garden for a while and admired the Thinker.

Strolled over to the Eiffel Tower, and along the way stopped by a supermarket and bought a few of my favorite Lindt chocolate bars. The most exciting highlight of my trip was my first view of the Eiffel Tower, and it really really hit me that I was in PARIS!

Went up the tower and the view was spectacular. The line was long to descend, though. By the time I came down the night had set in and the Eiffel was illuminated. Walked along La Seine towards Arc de Triomphe, the lighted Eiffel was behind me, there was violin playing by the river, and it was slightly snowing. It was absolutely romantic, even just by myself.

The next morning I went to Sacre Coeur, which was only a few steps behind where I was staying. Around this time my camera battery was dying, but I think I got most picture that I wanted already.

Went to Arc de Triomphe and up to the top. It was grand.

Window shopped at Cartier, Lancel, and LV. Cartier had excellent service, while Lancel had none at all and looked like a warehouse. LV was full of Japanese tourists. I believe the prices were a little better than in the States, especially after the 12% tax refund.

Took the metro over to Invalides and visited Napoleon's tomb. Walked over and went to the Louvre again for the rest of the day. I was going to see Moulin Rouge for the night but ended up playing drinking games with my fellow roommates.

Got up early to take the metro and train to the airport. Somehow I didn't see anyone selling the train ticket when I got off the metro and I stood at the gate thinking that I was going to miss my flight. A very nice man was trying to help me get in and finally I guess I "illegally" got in through the exit. The man didn't speak English and spoke to a man in French at the train station. The man was going to the airport as well and spoke to me to follow him. He said something about it was okay to have two person travel on one ticket and many people in France do it. I wasn't so sure and was worried and thankfully the conductor wasn't on board perhaps because it was early morning. I got to the airport early.

I think all of the French people I met were nice, I must have been lucky. I saw just one time at night a man walked hurriedly to a wall and peed (I'm guessing by his gestures because I certainly wasn't looking).

I didn't write about food because I didn't have any that was spectacular. Couldn't figure out if the crepes (I had it twice) were just as good or better than the ones I had here in California.

I liked Paris and will go back to get better French food!
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 02:23 PM

You wouldn't normally find crème brulée at a bakery or pastry shop; it's the kind of dessert you would be served in a restaurant for the most part. I hope you found something else yummy, though! I also long for lemon tarts.

Aside from that, it sounds as though you had a very nice time.
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

I see. Although, even after reading some restaurant menus and eating in two restaurants there were no creme brulee. I'll look harder next time.
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 06:40 AM
ira

Hi s,

Glad you liked Paris. Thanx for sharing.
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 07:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Welcome back and happy you have good memories of Paris. Did you taste the macaroons?
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 07:39 PM

That was a whirlwind tour of Paris. We found the creme brulee in some resturants but you had to be fairly early in the evening or they were all gone.
We were also lucky because the "man/woman on the street" were very kind and helpful to us.
You make me long for the trip again and Underhill will have me up half the night wanting a lemon tart. How about the almond cakes???

Mike