weather and what to wear

Old Mar 1st, 2004, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
weather and what to wear

Hi,
This is my first trip to Europe. I am going to be visiting Rome on the 20th of March spending five days there then we are heading to Tuscany for six days. After reading a few messages I have one myself.

The question I have is-- Has anyone visited these two areas at this time of year and know what the weather is like? I am from the Pacific Northwest so the temp runs around 52Fto 58F. What type of clothing is appropriate for these regions? I am hoping it is not going to be too cold or rainy. I was not aware it rained but after reading here and others I am beginning to think it is like the Pacific Northwest.
The other question is I am going to be arriving alone for the first three days. From the airport is it somewhat easy to take the train into Rome? I will staying close to Stazione Terminal( about 6 or 7 blocks away) so not sure how to get to my hotel. Walking or taking some kind of trasportation.
If anyone could help I would appreciate it very much. Thanks!
Mousr
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 12:08 PM
candykay

www.Weatherchannel.com not only gives you current conditions, but there is a link for looking up the average temps, average rainfall, etc. not just for a particular month, but for each day in the month. Very helpful. As it is here, though, the weather can be temperamental and unseasonal throwing averages out the window.

Old Mar 1st, 2004, 01:33 PM

I was in both of this areas in late March. It was VERY WARM in Rome and mild in Florence.
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 12:45 AM

I was in Tuscany in March last year and it was cold!! Bring lots of layers - so if it's warm in Rome you can just wear a t-shirt or shirt, and in Florence you can put on a jumper and jacket!
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 01:00 AM
JonJon

Yes, and if you want to "fit in" please leave the Fodorite capri pants back home! Enjoy your trip.

Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 01:20 AM

Well, nothern Italy is about the same lattitude as the Pacific Northwest, so the comparison is apt. Like early spring in most parts of the world, weather can be variable, so pack clothes that you can wear in layers.
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 02:11 AM

I agree with the others. Think layers. That way you're always prepared.
I just got back from Rome, but I took the train from Milan directly to the station. I can tell you that in front of the station there are taxi's to take you to your hotel. Otherwise if your luggage is manageable, you can easily walk. I'd personally take the taxi, because it wouldn't cost more than 8 Euro for such a short distance, and you'd be there without much of a challenge.
From the airport to the city center, there are trains to take you there. Look at the Rome page on this site, and go to the section about "Arriving and Departing". It explains what to do.
Ciao,
Melissa
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your replys. It helps so much. Btw--thanks for the info on trains Melissa1.