Search

Paris tours

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris tours

We will be in Paris for our first time in November. Does anyone have a recommendation for a reasonably priced bus or group tour of Paris which would just give us the highlights?
Old Oct 10th, 2010, 01:38 PM

Have a look at the Cityrama and Parivision sites for coach tours, Vedettes du Pont Neuf for Seine cruises, and Paris Walks for english neighbourhood walks
Old Oct 10th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Is there a hop on-hop off type bus or shuttle and one that is not open to the weather? Being elderly, we want to avoid as much walking between sights as possible.
Old Oct 10th, 2010, 02:19 PM

Paarisvision, spelling.
Yes, http://www.parislopentour.com/paris-accueil.php
Old Oct 10th, 2010, 02:21 PM

yikes, Parisvision
Old Oct 10th, 2010, 02:57 PM

About Paris Walks - I've taken at least a dozen of their walks. They are usually about 2 hours and you don't walk very far as the walks encompass small sections of the city. These walks would be good to do once you get your bearings and decide what areas you want to explore.

http://www.paris-walks.com/

Another specific tour is of Notre Dame cathedral. It's free and is a wonderful tour given by volunteers (any tip goes into the church fund). The tours are 1.5 to 2 hours and describe Gothic architecture in general and Notre Dame specifically. Half of the tour is outside the church and the other half is inside the church where you can sit down. The tours are Wednesday & Thursday at 2:00 and Saturday at 2:30.
Old Oct 10th, 2010, 03:01 PM

Your hotel location might ease some of the travelling. The Metro is very good, but there can be steps and walks between intersecting lines at a station. Being central and close to a 'good" Metro line will help you.
Old Oct 10th, 2010, 03:29 PM

I've also done many of the Paris Walks which adrienne posted above. I just read about this bus tour on another discussion board - never heard of it before or did it...
http://www.foxity.com/en/tour_foxity
but you can check it out...
Old Oct 10th, 2010, 03:33 PM

As an option to the hop on hop off, we are planning to try foxity tours http://www.foxity.com/en for a 2 hour orientation of the city.
Old Oct 10th, 2010, 04:24 PM

The number 69 regular RATP bus goes by a lot of the main sites and only costs the price of a single métro/bus ticket.
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 06:39 AM

I think all those hop-on, off buses have a lower section that isn't open to the weather, after all, that is just on the roof. I'd assume the usual suspects do a decent job (Cityrama or Parisvision).

Foxity is a new entry in the hop-on/off bus tours and is a budget option, about half the price of the others. Their prices are very good. I know they have a lower section, they usually charge less for it, in fact, and they have senior rates.
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 08:00 AM

Another thumbs up for Paris Walks! I've done two. Plan to do the London walks next fall.

Monica
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 11:50 AM

We did the Foxity tour a couple of weeks ago. The buses are brand new and very nice, with accordian roof and windows in case of rain, and heat when the weather is chilly.

The day we went, it was pouring down rain, so the roof was covered and one side had the windows closed. Windows were left open on the other side for photo ops. Many sat on the open side without getting wet.

Foxity is NOT hop on hop off. So, no stops (or waiting while people get off or board and pay).

There is NO way seats on an open top bus with panoramic views can possibly compare to the obstructed views from Bus 69, especially when (as most of the time during the day) they are mobbed. But, if you're going to ride on the lower level of one of the open top buses, you may as well take Bus 69, or others.
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 10:40 PM

There are free tours with quite good guides (I took the Notre Dame Tour) and she was great! Very informative, very funny and pleasant Parisian girl with excellent English.
www.discoverwalks.com
They have a couple of others if you consult their website. The tours are free, but they rely on tips.
Old Oct 12th, 2010, 10:45 AM

What good first-hand info from djkbooks about Foxicity, sounds like a good choice.

I'm in agreement that if you want a bus tour (hop on or not), a regular city bus isn't really the same thing. Bus 69 doesn't have the same itinerary at all as the more comprehensive tours for tourists, even though it goes by the Louvre and I think the Eiffel Tower area. I know the hop-on/off buses have a much wider coverage area, as does Foxity and I'm sure Parisvision. I don't agree that if you are riding on the lower level, bus 69 is the same as any other tour bus, they don't cover the same areas. Now if you want commmentary, of course, that's another issue and you won't get it on the regular bus. The Foxity bus covers the Latin Qtr, and inland on the RB to the Opera and the Champs-Elysees, as well as more of the 7th, for example.
Old Oct 12th, 2010, 11:28 AM

I've done a few Paris Walks. Last trip I wanted to refresh myself on the Marais, so I did both of their tours of that area. Group size was about 20, of all ages, Because part of it is in a busier area, did have to cross a few streets. The good news is that those 2 in particular are over flat land.

The Ile de la Cite and Notre Dame one might be ideal, since the area covered is not so large. Or the Two Islands one.

There is also a tour, that I'll have to dig around on, of Paris in a Renault 2CV, which sounds interesting.
Old Oct 12th, 2010, 12:19 PM

When you do a "FREE" walking tour, I understand they work on tips. How much do you give them?
Old Oct 12th, 2010, 12:29 PM

Info on 2CV tour

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...is-by-2CV.html
Old Oct 12th, 2010, 12:34 PM

Ignore last.

This is a list, but I think they may be resellers...

http://manstouch.com/travel/paris-car-tours.html
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

Is it possible to wait until we get to Paris to book a hop on hop off tour? We hope to get a few good days, weather-wise, and take the tour then. Where do you book the tours? Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -