Paris to Provence to CDG and car rental

May 28th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Paris to Provence to CDG and car rental

I actually have several questions.
We are planning to take the TGV from Paris to Provence. We will ultimatley be staying in Aix for 3 nights. 1.Does Aix have car rentals at the train station or is it better to rent in Avignon? 2.On our way back to Paris before getting on the train, we'd retturn the car in Avignon and visit Palace of the Popes. Is there a place to store our luggage? 3.We have an early morning flight. Any recommendations for a decent hotel near CDG airport?
Thank you.
Sherry
May 28th, 2007, 04:43 PM

I have very good things about the Sheraton at CDG. Easy to get to via TGV and then certainly easy the next morning to get to flight.
May 28th, 2007, 05:00 PM

1. They have car rentals at the Aix TGV station.

2. Where are you returning your car in Avignon - the TGV station or the station in town. I don't recall seeing any lockers at either station - but I wasn't looking for them. What I would probably plan on doing is to drive to Avignon, park the car in the covered garage next to the train station in town, leave the bags in the car, visit the Palais, return to the car & drive to the TGV station to return the car & catch the train.

3 How early is your flight???. Personally, I would not want my last night in France to be at an airport hotel. I would do either of the following instead:
a. Take the TGV to Paris Gare de Lyon & stay at a inexpensive hotel directly across from the station. Have dinner at Train Bleu at the Gare de Lyon, and take a taxi to the airport then next morning. I bet the cost of the hotel plus a taxi ride will be less expensive than an airport hotel. Paris is certainlhy more interesting than the airport area. We did this last year.

b. If your flight is after 10:00 on a week day & 10:45 on a weekend, take the TGV from Avignon to Dijon. Stay overnight in Dijon & enjoy that fabulous city. Next morning take the 6:30 train that gets to CDG at 8:20 am (check the sched - I didn't look it up). The train is about 30 to 45 mins later on week-ends. We've gone this route 3 times.

Stu Dudley
May 28th, 2007, 05:08 PM

I agree with Stu about staying in Dijon and taking the TGV directly in to CDG. He passed this advice on to us last year and it worked perfectly, with only one glitch. We thought arriving 2 hours early for our flight was ample time. IT WAS NOT!! We should have been there 3 hours ahead of departure. We were traveling with another couple and all 4 of us got wait-listed for our flight. My husband and I ended up making the flight but our friends did not. It was a real nightmare for them. Be advised: Allow a minimum of 3 hours to get through security and to the ticket counter.
May 28th, 2007, 08:02 PM

I'll also agree with Stu provided that you flight is late enough. The friend that stayed at the airport arrived in Paris late at night and left at approximately 10:00. With the long day before and the early morning, it was easier for them. The food was excellent, the staff great, and the room perfect.
May 28th, 2007, 08:53 PM

Good grief - if you have to arrive at the airport 3 hrs before departure, any plan isn't going to work. Sad state of affairs, IMO. The airlines/airport need some improvement.

Stu Dudley
May 29th, 2007, 06:59 PM

Stu...I couldn't agree with you more about things needing to change. I'm not sure it's limited to reforming the security service. In our case, BECAUSE everyone else showed up earlier than 2 hours, and BECAUSE the airline had oversold the flight, we were tossed aside like extra baggage. We truly had no idea that all airlines will oversell each and every flight if they can. We just happened to get caught in the oversell. The only counter action one can take is to beat out the late comers. That means getting to the airport at least 3 hours early. Ridiculous isn't it?
May 30th, 2007, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Our flight leaves at 9:15. I call that, getting to the airport early! Do you still recommend that we stay at the Lyon station in Paris? If we store our luggage in the car, does the parking garage look faily secure? We would rent the car, in that case at the train station in Avignon.
May 30th, 2007, 07:46 AM
blh

Yes, it is ridiculous that you have to allow 3 hours at CDG. We had a 11:30 am flight and really thought we would have a lot of extra time allowing 3 hours. We did not! When we arrived at the airport at 8:30 am on Saturday morning, it was so crowded with people that we had a hard getting through with our luggage. There was a very long line to check in at our American flight. And another long line to go through security. By the time we got to the gate, we only had 30 or 40 minutes until boarding. I thought we would have a couple of hours - but we didn't. I was glad we had decided to get there 3 hours early like they said.
May 30th, 2007, 08:05 AM

This year, we are avoiding CDG entirely. Normally we would fly to CDG & take the TGV to Provence. We're flying in/out of Nice via Madrid instead.

For our fall trip to France, we're flying into Brussels & out of Amsterdam. BRU is only 1 1/2 hrs away from Paris on the TGV. There is a TGV from BRU that goes directly to Provence with no train changes (except in Brussels).

The station in Avignon seems secure - it's quite active & it's covered. Don't know if there are cameras or not or patrols.

The TGV from Avignon arrives at the Lyon train station in Paris. We stayed directly across the street at the Terminus-Lyon hotel.

[email protected]
01 56 95 00 00

They can arrange an early taxi for you in the morning.

Stu Dudley
May 30th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

We will be arriving by TGV to Avignon. As mentioned ultimatley going to Aix. We want to visit Palace of the Popes. Assuming we have enough time to visit it on our inbound or outbound part of the trip. Which one do you suggest? At what point would you rent the car.Before or after we see P of P? Stu, you suggested that we use the car for storage in the garage. Which location car rental place do you suggest? (In town or TGV station) any suggestions for the type of car for 2 meduium size adults?
May 30th, 2007, 04:49 PM

Either way would work. Remember, stores close for a 2+ hr lunch around noon - so I would let that influence your schedule. Rent the car at the Avignon TGV station - I suspect that they have more cars than the City station. I use AutoEurope
www.autoeurope.com
Call and ask for a AAA discount, or any other discounts they have going.

Stu Dudley

Stu Dudley