Paris to London jaunt

Mar 28th, 2006, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Paris to London jaunt

Most results when searching online for Paris to London overnight trips seems to be packages originating in London or one day trips Paris to London. I can certianly put together a two day itinerary myself but was hoping there might be some packages that offered a bit of savings. Any suggestions? Thoughts about just waiting until we are in Paris and checking with travel agents there?
Mar 28th, 2006, 08:35 AM

I assume you are planning to return to Paris after your visit to London, right? Are you planning to stay one or two nights in London?
Mar 28th, 2006, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Yes, TimS, that is the plan of the moment, dictated by some fixed obligations - a 2 day/1 night trip to London with return to Paris.
Mar 28th, 2006, 11:21 AM

Are you planning to take the Eurostar? If so, booking tickets directly with SNCF will get you the best deal. Don't wiat until you get to Paris or the cheap tickets will be gone. The English version of sncf.com wasn't working correctly a moment ago, but I found tickets as low as 35E each way on the French version. If you can handle the French, choose the option of picking up your tickets at an automatic ticket machine, train station, or ticket boutique. Bring the confirmation number you'll be given and the credit card used to book the tickets. (Go to the window rather than trying the ticket machine because a non-French credit card probably won't work in it.)

I suggest you plan your own itinerary once you're in London. The major museums are free. Pay as you go for the things you want to see that aren't. Why pay a travel agent to set everything up for you?

Visit www.tfl.gov.uk to download and print a tube map and bus maps and to see the prices and conditions for travelcards.
Mar 28th, 2006, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Wow - where did you find he 35E fares? I have looked (using the French site) and the best I came up with was just over 100. Is there perhaps a day of the week that is cheaper than others?
Trust me, I am not keen to pay a TA to do something I can do myself, rather was just wondering if perhaps there might be some packages that would be better (i.e,, lower price) than I could put together myself.
Thanks, Tim for your help.
Mar 29th, 2006, 05:03 AM

Prices for Eurostar tickets vary widely for the same class. They're based on the time of day and/or the day of the week you travel. You pay more for unrestricted times and days. Also, there are a limited number of discount seats on each train. When they're gone, you pay more. That's why it is important to book your tickets ASAP, up to 120 days in advance. (I found the 35 E price by using an arbitrary date in July.)